The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Nah man. We gotta stop this just get something a tad better mindset. FO needs to be working on bringing in someone who’s going to elevate this team and this city. *****ing tired of this **** and it’s not doing any good to continue to hold standards such as “just find a better backup pg” when we all know we need more than that. 

Get your asses to work WeHam and get this team someone legit!

You completely missed the point of my post. 

Hate to break it to you but we’re not getting “the guy” right now, or in 2 weeks, or at the deadline. So it’s not a “get a tad better” mindset. It’s a “get a better player than Grant for the short term so we can potentially salvage the season and THEN look for a more permanent solution in the offseason” mindset. 

I wasn’t disagreeing with your assessment that we need a PG. We’re just not getting a starting caliber long-term solution before the summer. There needs to be a bit of realism here. 

2 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Hate to break it to you but we’re not getting “the guy” right now, or in 2 weeks, or at the deadline. So it’s not a “get a tad better” mindset. It’s a “get a better player than Grant for the short term so we can potentially salvage the season and THEN look for a more permanent solution in the offseason” mindset. 

I wasn’t disagreeing with your assessment that we need a PG. We’re just not getting a starting caliber long-term solution before the summer. There needs to be a bit of realism here. 

Forget that. I’m not adopting your belief. There will be “a guy” available and we better pounce on it. No FA is going to want to sign here. We gotta make a trade. We can not sit here for another damn year hoping some stud FA joins our losing ass team just so we wind up with the same **** we’ve been signing.

Nope. WeHam needs to get to work.

4 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Forget that. I’m not adopting your belief. There will be “a guy” available and we better pounce on it. No FA is going to want to sign here. We gotta make a trade. We can not sit here for another damn year hoping some stud FA joins our losing ass team just so we wind up with the same **** we’ve been signing.

Nope. WeHam needs to get to work.

Mmmk welp I’ll check in with you on how that goes in a couple months. 

Timing is everything so you have jump when opportunity presents itself, but certainly by this summer we should have secured a top shelf point. We need to throw our hat into the DSJr talk. There will also be Rozier, Russell and others so if we don’t land one of them by this summer then we got problems because there’s multiple opportunities in this time window.

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

IDK, but I kind of disgree here. We have a really good oportunity to score some talent in the PG position before the deadline. 

Dallas: if the Mavs keep losing,  which seems inevitable, THere is a chance that they will consider trading us DSJ for our first round and simmons. They will love to get another pick on this draft to improve their core of players consisting mainly of old guys to some decent young core that can play alongside Luka. 

Boston: They dont really know what to do with either Rozier and  Brown or hayward. They might consider a trade for the likes of Vuch and Grant or Ross to improve their chances in the playoff as well as clear some cap space to go after AD in free agency.  

Phi: Same goes with phily. They will love to get some decent talent back from Fultz. Our first and simmon will  do.

Lakers: It will all depends on the AD scenario. If a trade is requested, LA will likely have to move Ball in the process. We can jump as a 3rd team to grab Ball in the deal. We can offer expiring as well as one of our first round pick to NO in the process. 

Brooklin: They will move Russell at the deadline if they can get something of value  back. Again, We can offer expiring and pick. 

Utah: We really dont know if Rubio will be available. Most likely not, but I will not be surprised if he is moved. 

Memphis: Going downhill lately. They will likely miss the playoff and will be looking for options to move Conley. out of Memphis.  

I guess it depends on what your interpretation of “the guy” is. If you consider that to be a Russell, Rozier, DSJ then sure those are attainable. I took ML6’s post more like we won’t be getting a Kemba Walker type “guy” who could come in and salvage the team. 

57 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

While Kemba would certainly move the needle some he is turning 29 in May and our core averages approximately 22. I’m not sure he’s on our timeline.

He also has zero reason to sign here

1 hour ago, Magicpassion said:

While Kemba would certainly move the needle some he is turning 29 in May and our core averages approximately 22. I’m not sure he’s on our timeline.

58 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

He also has zero reason to sign here

I think that really depends on what moves (if any) we are able to make before free agency.

1) Suppose we are able to bring in a starting caliber SG by moving Evan and/or Vuc and other pieces, while retaining BIG. Couple that with Coach Clifford, and suddenly we become a much more attractive option. 

2) Suppose we manage to get a top-5 pick in the draft to bring in that SG, and re-sign TRoss to a reasonable contract. We could then renounce our rights to Vuc, Martin, and Grant,  and waive/stretch Mozgov to clear space. Again, add that to Coach Clifford. We could also waive Simmons, clearing about another $4M.

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

I think that really depends on what moves (if any) we are able to make before free agency.

1) Suppose we are able to bring in a starting caliber SG by moving Evan and/or Vuc and other pieces, while retaining BIG. Couple that with Coach Clifford, and suddenly we become a much more attractive option. 

2) Suppose we manage to get a top-5 pick in the draft to bring in that SG, and re-sign TRoss to a reasonable contract. We could then renounce our rights to Vuc, Martin, and Grant,  and waive/stretch Mozgov to clear space. Again, add that to Coach Clifford. We could also waive Simmons, clearing about another $4M.

How many shooting guards are definitive upgrades to Evan?

20 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

How many shooting guards are definitive upgrades to Evan?

Not many. When Fournier’s numbers go back up to his career averages he’s not that bad. The league isn’t flooded with elite 2 guards. People always bring up CJ McCollum but go to a blazers forum and fans bash him the way we bash Fournier on here.