The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

We need to move on from Grant. 

During our good stretch in November he was bad at point guard things but defended and hit 58% of his threes. He had a mostly positive +/- and when you're playing with a inconsistent rookie like Bamba that drags those numbers down a bit it really says something. So he wasn't really a good backup point guard but he was contributing something. 

Last 10 games he's been terrible. Inconsistent defense. Can't shoot. Can't pass. No positive plus minus games.

I think we made positive changes with hiring Clifford and the new front office, but the fo is on the clock now. Let’s look at their moves to this point:

drafted JI - their best move to date, but will take time

Wes Iwundu- not bad for a second rounder- should be a decent perimeter defender and if he hits the 3 at 35% or better then good acquisition.

Bamba - I’m not sure on this one, time will tell, could very well be just a very average player. No post moves, slow on rotations and he looks lazy out there. I’m going to give the Rook a break this year, but I am concerned. 

Frazier - stats in the G league aren’t very promising - the other pick (forgot his name) doesn’t even register 

Traded Biz and two 2nd rounders for Moz and Grant - looks like a loss for us

got rid of #10 pick Payton for a second rounder - I guess that’s all he’s worth

Clifford has gotten the most out of Vuc, but then again it’s contract year.

Front office grade thus far C+

Clifford - incomplete - he’s still trying to figure out rotations, but our bench sucks for sure. The front office needs to step up and show something this coming year. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

We need to move on from Grant. 

During our good stretch in November he was bad at point guard things but defended and hit 58% of his threes. He had a mostly positive +/- and when you're playing with a inconsistent rookie like Bamba that drags those numbers down a bit it really says something. So he wasn't really a good backup point guard but he was contributing something. 

Last 10 games he's been terrible. Inconsistent defense. Can't shoot. Can't pass. No positive plus minus games.

We need a starting PG. A good one.

36 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

We need a starting PG. A good one.

We do, absolutely. And that needs to be the goal this summer or sooner. 

But to piggyback off of FTWs post I’d like to take it a step further and say that in the short term, I feel that even a competent backup to DJ would make worlds of difference.  Grant can’t dribble or pass confidently enough to get the team into sets within the first 14 seconds of the shot clock. I’ve never seen anything like it. It completely destroys our offensive possessions while he is in the game. Just having a guy that can run the team with the 2nd unit would help allieviate some of these abysmal 2nd unit stretches IMO.

36 minutes ago, ML6 said:

But to piggyback off of FTWs post I’d like to take it a step further and say that in the short term, I feel that even a competent backup to DJ would make worlds of difference.  Grant can’t dribble or pass confidently enough to get the team into sets within the first 14 seconds of the shot clock. I’ve never seen anything like it. It completely destroys our offensive possessions while he is in the game. Just having a guy that can run the team with the 2nd unit would help allieviate some of these abysmal 2nd unit stretches IMO.

It's making me pessimistic that briscoe can't beat him out for minutes. 

Just now, fan for too long 2 said:

Another bad judgement of talent by the fo. 

It does seem like the FO has missed some opportunities both last year and this year in terms of drafting some decent PG prospects.  I hope I never hear the expression that the draft “flattened out” again.  

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

Nah man. We gotta stop this just get something a tad better mindset. FO needs to be working on bringing in someone who’s going to elevate this team and this city. *****ing tired of this **** and it’s not doing any good to continue to hold standards such as “just find a better backup pg” when we all know we need more than that. 

Get your asses to work WeHam and get this team someone legit!