The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

Vuc will bring big bucks next year as he is playing at a high level; probably reserve  Allstar; for that reason I would not resign him. However, if he doesn’t draw the big dollars and we can get him for a bargain for 3 years with an incentive based contract then I would resign him because I don’t see Bamba ready to start for a few years and I’m concerned with him being too perimeter oriented. He virtually has no post up game. We have to really think about how we are going to use him. We know what we have in Vuc: a great post player/passer and average defender when motivated and he is a threat to hit the 3. I don’t feel the board gives this guy enough credit. Start the bashing..... 

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Had he led us close to the playoffs even once, maybe. Thus, my answer is no.

I hate how the board trashes Vuc. He’s not perfect, but he’s loyal and wants to be here; plays for peanuts considering today’s salaries plus he has no other star to take the focus off him. The game plan is basically to stop Vuc so he gets all the attention. Could you imagine if we had some tier 1 players like other teams, he would be even more efficient and effective. It’s all on him. We seriously lack top tier talent. Please tell me the center  you would like to replace him with for the money and we’ll compare. 

1 hour ago, Magicpassion said:

I hate how the board trashes Vuc. He’s not perfect, but he’s loyal and wants to be here; plays for peanuts considering today’s salaries plus he has no other star to take the focus off him. The game plan is basically to stop Vuc so he gets all the attention. Could you imagine if we had some tier 1 players like other teams, he would be even more efficient and effective. It’s all on him. We seriously lack top tier talent. Please tell me the center  you would like to replace him with for the money and we’ll compare. 

If we had a tier one player vucevic would be even less valuable to us. 

1 minute ago, Magicpassion said:

I agree with you most of the time, but not on this point. 

Vucevic is a high usage player because he's pretty much the only guy on the team that can provide reliable game to game offense. If you brought in a harden type guy vucevic's offensive responsibility would shrink, his flaws would stand out more, and his production would be easier to replicate by a lesser player. 

8 hours ago, Magicpassion said:

Vooch seems like a great guy. I just don’t believe having a player like Vooch as the centerpiece of your team will lead to championships.

9 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Vooch seems like a great guy. I just don’t believe having a player like Vooch as the centerpiece of your team will lead to the playoffs.

fixed

I suppose I should preface what I'm about to say by stating that I am an original Orlando Magic fan ... from the dawn of their inception. I am a Pennsylvania native with no ties to the Philadelphia 76ers, as I am from Central/Western PA, and with no NBA team in Pittsburgh, I was left to choose someone else. Orlando was the team. My father used to draw me Sorcerer Mickey and Disney pictures when I was a child, so it stuck. Plus, I liked Nick Anderson and he was their first draft pick. So, I am not a fair-weather fan, and have been around since the beginning.

However, I am heavily disappointed in this team over the last several years. Not since their expansion days and the dissolution of the Doc Rivers days has this team been this bad and seems to show no improvement year to year. It would seem that the Magic are doomed to finish their 30th season with approximately 30 wins. That would make seven straight losing seasons. When will the ship begin to right itself? I am beginning to wonder if it ever will. Sure, the team has some talent, but that talent cannot seem to blossom into something more than a simple group of disparate players with no real cohesion, and certainly not into a team with proven winners. Talk about frustration. They are now mired in a four-game losing streak with three of those losses by double digits, two of which were to teams much worse than they are, and one of them against a divisional opponent. They have now sandwiched a two game win streak with a three-game losing skid and a four-game losing stretch. Ugh. To me, this has been a recurring problem with the team recently. They always seem to find a way to string together losses at the most inopportune times ... like now. Prior to heading into a brutal New Year stretch, playing games that they should win, at least on paper. And yes, I know the game is not played on paper, but eventually something has to give, and you must start to beat the teams you are better than, home or away. All of this is especially concerning due to the fact that the division is weak this year, and could be up for grabs. This team underachieves and cannot take advantage of that fact, playing winnable games at a time that they could gain some ground and possibly take the division lead outright, but still refusing to do so.

When will it change? When will it begin to get better? This, to me, has been too long in coming ... too long for a rebound season, too long to see major improvement, too long to show proper development into a solid, productive team. I am starving for a return to former greatness, and this team does have a history of it despite their expansion in a modern era. That is no longer an excuse, though, and it hasn't been for a while. It is time to start winning again, or the culture and the attitude of this team needs to be re-established for a new era. What are the prevailing thoughts out there in terms of where this team is heading? I'd be interested to know.

• Like 1

Nice first post!!! As you, I have been a fan since drafting nick. As for your last sentence;  I think most posters are wondering the exact same question. Unfortunately we are stuck watching this dysfunctional team till management pulls their collective heads out of you know where. And pull the DAM trigger on something. 

• Like 1

I believe it’s nearly impossible to change the culture of an organization without changing the core personnel of the organization. Great first post, dougello7!

• Like 1

I still want new ownership but I doubt that'll happen.  We still have Alex martins......  smh.  Our brand is a cheese fest as our players are perceived as kids rather then men. Disney is our *****ing sponsor for christ sakes.  That takes toughness away. 

Personally, I perceive this team as a sub nba team sometimes.  Players come here to kill their careers while a select.few leave and thrive.  We're also a wal mart for Lakers fans. 

• Downvote 1