The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

45 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Fultz is too high risk for where we are in our rebuild right now. We need a starting PG that can shoot 3s to space the floor, pass well,  get to the hole, draw fouls, and defend. It's a lot to ask for but IMO we should hold out and get the guy we really want.

I do agree we need a more established talented player.

3 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Fultz is too high risk for where we are in our rebuild right now. We need a starting PG that can shoot 3s to space the floor, pass well,  get to the hole, draw fouls, and defend. It's a lot to ask for but IMO we should hold out and get the guy we really want.

What's the risk?

53 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

What's the risk?

1. That he will never get his shot back. We should never, ever sign another PG that can't shoot.

2. As he is he's not a starting caliber PG, and that is what we need

3. If Philly would even entertain the idea of trading him for any less than a great package then you know he is damaged goods.

That being said if we could get him for something like Simmons or Grant and a 2nd we'd have to take that chance.

I'm still right on the Fultz train, front row seats and I'm not getting up, not even for a little old lady with a bad back. I think there are going to be a lot of teams regretting not making a deal when looking back and seeing how little he was going for.

If we get one of Ball or Russell (maybe Fultz but I think he'll start to shine next season), or some other big PG upgrade to DJ, without having to send back Vuc and Ross then I could see us as a chance to sneak past the 1st round depending on who we get. That would be huge for the development of this group.

I think it would be hard to get Ball without Vuc or Ross though, but if it's part of an AD deal are they still going to want Vuc?

21 minutes ago, The Boss said:

If we get one of Ball or Russell (maybe Fultz but I think he'll start to shine next season), or some other big PG upgrade to DJ, without having to send back Vuc and Ross then I could see us as a chance to sneak past the 1st round depending on who we get. That would be huge for the development of this group.

I think it would be hard to get Ball without Vuc or Ross though, but if it's part of an AD deal are they still going to want Vuc?

I’m starting to open up to Russell for Simmons and okc pick or Crabbe and Russell for Fournier and Simmons. Either of those would actually help us this year and give us a test drive on Russell 

2 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

1. That he will never get his shot back. We should never, ever sign another PG that can't shoot.

2. As he is he's not a starting caliber PG, and that is what we need

3. If Philly would even entertain the idea of trading him for any less than a great package then you know he is damaged goods.

That being said if we could get him for something like Simmons or Grant and a 2nd we'd have to take that chance.

Risk is relative to what it costs. If you have inconsequential costs then the risk is never all that high. 

1. Maybe. Maybe not. Sometimes it's worth a gamble. Fox was a garbage shooter. Now he's a great shooter and looks like a steal. 

2. Trading for fultz doesn't preclude is from obtaining a starting point guard. He costs relatively little. You can give him Grant's role in the rotation now and continue having Augustin as the starter for the rest of the year then go after a Teague or collison type next year. 

3. You keep saying this but it's a completely illogical presumption. Detroit dumped dinwiddie for a garbage player. Chicago cut dinwiddie. Dinwiddie is now great in Brooklyn. Detroit threw Khris Middleton as salary filler into the Knight-Jennings deal. Now he's about to get a giant contract. The clippers cut Joe Ingles and he's really good. 

Remember when we traded Trevor Ariza for replacement level players because he didn't fit our philosophy? Remember when we gave away Chauncey Billups for cap space? Remember when we waived Joe Harris because he wasn't worth a roster spot? Remember when we let E'twaun Moore walk because he wasn't good

Remember when Will Barton was a throw in for Aaron Afflalo? Remember when Cleveland thought Danny Green wasn't an NBA player then he almost won a finals MVP? Remember when Houston waived Robert Covington and he became an all first team defense guy? Remember when Jae Crowder was included as salary matching for rondo and he became pretty good. Remember when Sacramento gave away Isaiah Thomas and he became an all star?

Do I have to keep going? Is this enough evidence to show you why some times teams misevaluate players or just let guys find a better situation?

I prefer an established player because it would likely get us into the playoffs and make us competitive in them, also would look good to future FA’s but if you can get Fultz for what his value is at right now, you do it.