The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

Here’s how I see it... We’ve been maximizing our assets and playing “well” as a whole this year. Still we are a .500 team at best. I don’t think we have any option but to look long-term and aggressively to the trade market in order to improve our roster.

What's better for us long term, scraping into the playoffs and getting beaten in 4 or 5 games or trading Vuc and Ross and spiralling down to a bottom 6 team and a pretty good pick?

I get we need to get out from the losing ways, and making the playoffs can help with development and can also help going into the free agent market, but we'd be making those playoffs because of a guy that won't be with us after the season and a big help from a guy that has a good chance of not being with us either.

I'm kind of done with tanking but we are in a unique situation with Vuc and Ross. If trading them soon nets us some long term pieces (Fultz, Ball, Rozier etc) then I think we have to do it for the best of the franchise going forward. Doing so would also be a massive tanking move though, but to me it wouldn't really feel like it because we'd be making a smart move for the future.

Any thoughts? How many more games would we win if we lost Vuc and Ross and the biggest piece we brought in was Fultz? (considering he'd be out for a while then have to adjust).

45 minutes ago, The Boss said:

What's better for us long term, scraping into the playoffs and getting beaten in 4 or 5 games or trading Vuc and Ross and spiralling down to a bottom 6 team and a pretty good pick?

I get we need to get out from the losing ways, and making the playoffs can help with development and can also help going into the free agent market, but we'd be making those playoffs because of a guy that won't be with us after the season and a big help from a guy that has a good chance of not being with us either.

I'm kind of done with tanking but we are in a unique situation with Vuc and Ross. If trading them soon nets us some long term pieces (Fultz, Ball, Rozier etc) then I think we have to do it for the best of the franchise going forward. Doing so would also be a massive tanking move though, but to me it wouldn't really feel like it because we'd be making a smart move for the future.

Any thoughts? How many more games would we win if we lost Vuc and Ross and the biggest piece we brought in was Fultz? (considering he'd be out for a while then have to adjust).

Playoffs

1 hour ago, The Boss said:

Making the playoffs this year if Ross and Vuch aren’t part of the long-terms plans seems kind of pointless. But it would be beneficial for someone like AG to get a taste of the playoffs, as well as Bamba and Issac. That could fuel something in the off-season. I mean look how oladipo tasting the playoffs the playoffs in OKC motivated him. So I think there is real value in that. 

I still think if there is a legitimate deal out there to help this team long term (ball, Fultz, Russell etc) you take it. I don’t think you should pass on one of those guys to get swept in the first round. 

As far as just tanking no I’m not for that. There’s teams far worse than us we aren’t gonna catch anyways. 

26 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Making the playoffs this year if Ross and Vuch aren’t part of the long-terms plans seems kind of pointless. But it would be beneficial for someone like AG to get a taste of the playoffs, as well as Bamba and Issac. That could fuel something in the off-season. I mean look how oladipo tasting the playoffs the playoffs in OKC motivated him. So I think there is real value in that. 

I still think if there is a legitimate deal out there to help this team long term (ball, Fultz, Russell etc) you take it. I don’t think you should pass on one of those guys to get swept in the first round. 

As far as just tanking no I’m not for that. There’s teams far worse than us we aren’t gonna catch anyways. 

Good points. I can see the benefits of the playoffs too, just trying to work out what would be best overall, I think it would be playoffs maybe.

Hope my post didn't come off as pro tank, I was just kinda thinking that if we did trade Vuc and Ross it would almost be like tanking because of how bad we seemingly would be. I'm for trading them for one of those young PG's either way, can add Rozier and Dennis Smith to those names. Would rather nab one with a combo of picks, Evan, Simmons or Grant before Vuc and Ross obviously.

On 12/19/2018 at 3:20 PM, Jay Magic said:

With Vooch out tonight we are going to need to see bigger roles for Isaac and Bamba and especially AG.

I am confident AG shows out tonight with a near triple double around 27/16/8

Ummmm.....How about 12/9/7?