The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

Aaaaaannnnd... one more? http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yb7dm99k 

I'd like to think this is mildly balanced for all involved although this could also end up working out horribly for at least one team. LAC could be a good spot for Vuc, Lamb could be a reasonably efficient extra scoring option and it wouldn't really damage their chemistry heading into the playoffs. Charlotte might find Evan to become an upgrade over Lamb assuming he breaks out of his slump and Evan might enjoy the change of scenery and playing with Tony Parker. Grant is filler. Gortat might be the most imposing player on that hypothetical charlotte roster?

And for us... people have already suggested Teodosic could be a useful stopgap pg with the requisite skills to get our young guys and shooters good looks. Batum may be an albatross but he could be useful and versatile also paired with a more athletic frontcourt mate than Marvin Williams. He could be a secondary ball handler in most lineups. And we'd get to take a flier on Monk's potential and it'd be nice to have a real live recently drafted SG to learn from TRoss.

6 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I thought Weltman and Hammond were dealmakers when we brought em in, that’s what everyone said, but there’s no excuse to go this long being this bad at pg and do nothing about it.

Yes there is. 

1. Augustin has been good enough.

2. Trade season hasn't started yet. 

3. We've slightly overachieved despite the point guard stuff. 

6 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I thought Weltman and Hammond were dealmakers when we brought em in, that’s what everyone said, but there’s no excuse to go this long being this bad at pg and do nothing about it.

The problem is, you have to have assets to trade that other people want, but that aren't going to leave your cupboards bare. More than half of our roster is currently guys no one else is probably excited to trade for. Also, you don't necessarily want to fill one hole by just creating another. 

Grant, Briscoe, Frazier, Iwundu, Martin - I doubt we're getting calls on any of them.

Mozgov - hasn't played & has a big, bad contract

Birch - hasn't played enough to generate any interest

Fournier, Simmons - playing poorly enough that their values are both at an all-time low.

Gordon - still hasn't found the balance between being aggressive and yet still playing within himself; not yet living up to the new contract.

That is 10/15 that either no one is calling on, or they are calling and low-balling you on.

Isaac, Bamba - we're still figuring out what we have with both of them, and don't want to trade unless it is a clear win.

That leaves Vuc, Augustin, and TRoss. I don't think they go unless you either have a superstar who is pushing for an exit elsewhere coming in; or you are giving up on this year's playoffs. The only other assets we have available are draft picks.

I'm not saying it is impossible, but we aren't in a strong position for them to work from. I personally don't anticipate us making any trades until it is closer to the deadline, and either we are out of contention, or some players elsewhere are pushing to move. 

21 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yes there is. 

1. Augustin has been good enough.

2. Trade season hasn't started yet. 

3. We've slightly overachieved despite the point guard stuff. 

1. Augustin has been inconsistent, but yes, passable. Grant and the limited Briscoe have been god awful.

2. I’m including the off-season in that evaluation.

3. We have, but with a competent point guard rotation we’d be 3-5 wins better.

12 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

1. Augustin has been inconsistent, but yes, passable. Grant and the limited Briscoe have been god awful.

2. I’m including the off-season in that evaluation.

3. We have, but with a competent point guard rotation we’d be 3-5 wins better.

The plan has always been hold off for next summer which is a great pg FA class. We didn't do anything last summer because it didn't make sense to take up space 

4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The plan has always been hold off for next summer which is a great pg FA class. We didn't do anything last summer because it didn't make sense to take up space 

Yeah, I guess so. It was a half-tank move as well. My problem with it is that it hinders development of young skill position players to have a pg that can’t consistently distribute the ball.

I mean I would trade for dinwiddie right now because I'm a fan and I'm right there with all of you seeing what this team lacks. I like having peace of mind. 

But imagine if we don't trade for dinwiddie and he signs here in the summer. Then we can use our assets to upgrade another position.