The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

He's been struggling with foul trouble but I still don't think he'll get the reps he needs in the near future.

He's going to play between 26-32 mpg in every normal game

I am bored, so I thought I would do an early season review of what has been good and what has been bad about the team so far:

The Good:

1. Aaron Gordon. He has been bringing it so far. I love his energy. He has been playing well, even though he has not yet had a truly great game, like he had a few times last year. I don't think it is sustainable (very small sample size), but he is also drawing fouls at a much higher rate than he has in the past.

2. Vuch's passing. As much as we like to rag on him, Vuch's passing has been pretty legit so far this year. He has had a bunch of really nice passes.

3. Mo Bamba. Still looks like a rookie at times of course, but has been a lot less raw than I think any of us were expecting.

4. Ross: Has been doing Ross things. It would be nice if his offense got back to Toronto levels though.

The bad:

1. Dribble penetration: Man are we struggling to consistently get into the paint on dribble drives. This is ugly. According to NBA.com's tracking stats, we are actually in the top half of the NBA in drives per game, but we have the fewest points scored on drives, the second lowest FG% from drives, the second most turnovers from drives, and the lowest number of fouls drawn per drive. I think we can see this in game, where a lot of drives seem to be ending with a wild shot at the rim with multiple defenders on the player.

2. Offensive movement: There seems to be a lot of passivity on offense. A lot of standing around without the ball, ineffective screening, struggling to make the opposing defenses work a lot of the time.

3. Unsurprisingly, we have the second lowest EFG% in the league. Some of this is just missing open shots, but a lot of it falls on bad shot generation. We are not creating good looks really anywhere on the court. I think this should improve as it seems almost unsustainably low, but I don't know if there will be a lot of improvement if we cannot create better looks.

4. Buddy Ball: Vuch and Fournier just can't help themselves.

The Meh:

1. Isaac: Still waiting on him. Defensively, he has been okay, but offensively he has mostly just been there. We need more out of him.

2. Defense: for as much as this was supposed to be our calling card we are basically grading out as average just about everywhere. We can be better.

10 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I wouldn’t fret too much about Isaac’s minutes, they’ll average out. He’s been in foul trouble often and on a minutes restriction early so far after his preseason injury 

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Game 1. 4 fouls 18 minutes

Game 2. 4 fouls (and a blow out where it doesn't make sense to keep playing him) 14 minutes. 

Game 3. 0 fouls. Close game. 27.5 minutes. 

That was my point in bringing up the minutes. We can't really be disappointed until he either gets the minutes an avg NBA starter gets or if he his foul trouble continues throughout the year keeping him from avg NBA starter minutes. 

I've spent the last hour trying to find a point guard. 

I've come to the conclusion that the best, realistic trade is vucevic, Augustin (or Simmons), and the OKC pick for Rubio and sefolosha. 

1. Exum looks ready to start 

2. Rubio is expiring and they probably want to get something for him. 

3. They could use a piece like vucevic on the bench. 

27 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I've come to the conclusion that the best, realistic trade is vucevic, Augustin (or Simmons), and the OKC pick for Rubio and sefolosha. 

Even though Rubio could transform our offense I just don’t see the FO making a trade for a PG. 

41 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Maybe. What do you think Rubio would cost if we wanted to keep him? I am not sure about Rubio, but he could be workable.

Positives: Would transform our offense with his passing, has decent 3 point shooting.

Negatives: Bad shooting everywhere else. Not sure about his defensive impact.

50 minutes ago, Odin said:

Maybe. What do you think Rubio would cost if we wanted to keep him? I am not sure about Rubio, but he could be workable.

Positives: Would transform our offense with his passing, has decent 3 point shooting.

Negatives: Bad shooting everywhere else. Not sure about his defensive impact.

I'm not concerned about keeping him

25 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm not concerned about keeping him

I am not sure I understand the point of your trade then. Are you thinking season rental basically? If so, why would we throw in the pick? Just as a cap saving measure?

I am probably blinded by my fandom but I truly think this could be a good team as currently constructed but with Rozier in place of Augustin.  And Bamba starting with Vooch off the bench, since I have accepted that he will retire here somehow.

10 minutes ago, Odin said:

I am not sure I understand the point of your trade then. Are you thinking season rental basically? If so, why would we throw in the pick? Just as a cap saving measure?

On our end we have Gordon, Isaac, and Bamba that are (in theory) long term foundational pieces. 

We have Ross, Grant, and Simmons that are short term role players that are philosophical fits. 

We have Frazier, iwundu, briscoe, and (in theory) Jackson that are developmental pieces.

The other guys are filler guys 

We have 4 picks in the 2019 draft. Our pick, the OKC pick that's either late 20s or a mid second, our second rounder, Brooklyn's second rounder. 

I don't consider okc's pick that valuable to us given our roster construction and other picks. We're not going in to next year with 10 first-third year guys on the roster or in camp. 

So if you can turn in our non-essential guys for a player that provides positive on court value and doesn't tie up future cap we should do it. 

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

So u want Payton back? Lol

3 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

So u want Payton back? Lol

Rubio made 96 threes last year. Payton attempted 92. 

Edit: also, Rubio is a good defender while Payton is a terrible defender. 

Also Rubio is a better passer.

So no.