The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Maybe I’m misremembering... thought they were hard on us.

I think the only criticism was that biz in a vacuum is probably more valuable as a player than Mozgov. But with Birch and Bamba we did need a center like Mozgov and biz would be a bad locker room guy if he wasn't playing. 

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think the only criticism was that biz in a vacuum is probably more valuable as a player than Mozgov. But with Birch and Bamba we did need a center like Mozgov and biz would be a bad locker room guy if he wasn't playing. 

Mozgov looks like he is going to the club every game and looks happy to even be there. Sure Grant turned out to be a low value pickup for us but really it was a move worth the try. 

22 minutes ago, IrishCelticHater said:

Mozgov looks like he is going to the club every game and looks happy to even be there. Sure Grant turned out to be a low value pickup for us but really it was a move worth the try. 

Yep. I'd try that same move every year. 

Off topic but I have to tell some more basketball fans because I don't know enough around here.

Last night in our local basketball game we had to win or draw (no OT in our games, just get 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw) to secure top spot going into the playoffs. It was a draw with about 30 seconds to go and we had the ball so we should have been set but we turned it over. The other team had a fast break and one of our guys fouled him hard to stop a score but the refs gave him a tech so 2 shots and a side ball. There was about 5 seconds left in the game. He hit the first to go 1 up so we thought we were done already but it gets worse. He missed the second but they got the rebound so we fouled. Somehow someone got free on the inbound under the ring, he caught it with about 3 seconds left so just scored the layup to go 3 up. Most players stopped at this point, I was standing about 2 feet in from the inbound at full court and took the pass and just turned and launched it with one hand on the buzzer and banked it in, it was incredible. When I let go I knew I had the distance and it kind of looked like it was heading close but thought no way it will go in, but it did and I'm just trying to tell as many people that would appreciate it as possible lol.

We'll probably lose to the bottom seed now..

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, The Boss said:

Off topic but I have to tell some more basketball fans because I don't know enough around here.

Last night in our local basketball game we had to win or draw (no OT in our games, just get 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw) to secure top spot going into the playoffs. It was a draw with about 30 seconds to go and we had the ball so we should have been set but we turned it over. The other team had a fast break and one of our guys fouled him hard to stop a score but the refs gave him a tech so 2 shots and a side ball. There was about 5 seconds left in the game. He hit the first to go 1 up so we thought we were done already but it gets worse. He missed the second but they got the rebound so we fouled. Somehow someone got free on the inbound under the ring, he caught it with about 3 seconds left so just scored the layup to go 3 up. Most players stopped at this point, I was standing about 2 feet in from the inbound at full court and took the pass and just turned and launched it with one hand on the buzzer and banked it in, it was incredible. When I let go I knew I had the distance and it kind of looked like it was heading close but thought no way it will go in, but it did and I'm just trying to tell as many people that would appreciate it as possible lol.

We'll probably lose to the bottom seed now..

Nice

So I guess the Lightning's collapse means we'll have Paul Porter for Game 3?  Never feels the same without him.

56 minutes ago, ML6 said:

So I guess the Lightning's collapse means we'll have Paul Porter for Game 3?  Never feels the same without him.

Yep that's good

I know it's only a couple games but I feel like it's enough to see that Vuc isn't worth a big pay day. He can still turn it around and contribute to this series, and I'm not frustrated at him personally, I just feel his game isn't worthy of the big bucks and a starting role on a playoff team. I hope our FO can see this and offer him a suitable deal and lay it out that part of the deal is that when Bamba is ready he will take the starting role and Vuc will come off the bench. If he's not happy with that he can take another team's offer.

Onto Fournier.. I've mentioned before that I personally don't like him but he can still be a useful player. I see him being pretty good if our team overall gets better and we have a serious first option (hopefully Fultz can be that guy). I like how we use Evan when he's on the court with a hot TRoss. We look for pick and rolls with Ross or double screens for Ross trying to get open but if nothings on we can pass out to Evan who usually gets a good look or can take on his man because the defense was so focused on the other wing looking out for Ross. I just don't like seeing us use Evan as a first option, I understand as our team stands we have to sometimes but if we can improve and make him that 3rd option he can be useful. And please no more buddy ball, playoffs have shown what most of us already knew, it's not a recipe for winning basketball.

Ross I'd love to keep, just feel he's so important to that 2nd unit. The only time he's a negative for us is when he's having a really off night but keeps hoisting, that's on Clifford too though, he could tell him to shoot less but he's obviously confident enough in him that he will shoot out of a slump. Again with a better team and 2nd unit we would be able to use Ross less on a cold night and go to someone else, but as it stands that second unit just has to go to Ross a lot of the time. Getting a better 2nd unit will also up Ross' 3 point and field goal percentage in the long run because he'll take less shots when he's cold and the same or possibly more when he's hot (a good creator might be able to find Ross for more looks even with heavy D on him).

Gordon, I think his importance is very underrated around here. You can't judge him by just box score watching every game, he does so much that doesn't show up. Sometimes you don't even notice it when you watch the game but if you really focus and watch him with his defense on his man (who is usually the best or one of the best opposition players) its usually extremely good. Like 4thewin pointed out with his play by plays on Leonard, at first watch or box score it looked like he got torched but on closer look he actually played him really well, Leonard is just playing incredible at the moment. My only gripe with AG is that step back or tough long 2 pointer but he's young and he's also trying to carry this team and be the leader, I think he can and will work on that part of his game, either getting much better at making it or eliminating it from his arsenal. I also think having a more creative and attacking PG (like Fultz can be) will help Gordon a lot, and also moving on from Vuc and playing a real uptempo fast offense will get him 6-8 easy points off extra fast breaks alone. He's a keeper. He may not develop into a great first option, in fact it's nearly certain he won't, but that doesn't mean he can't be extremely important to this team (he already is but some people don't realise that yet).

Lastly, JI. Love his development, not much to say here other than he is a gem and a great pick by our FO. His potential is incredible on both ends of the floor.