The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

It's one game but look at what it tells you. 

1. He can pass guys open and has good vision

2. He can blow by his defender and draw secondary defenders which gets guys open. 

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Please be this guy!

He did this while he already had the injury. I have faith that he will at least be very good with a good chance of being excellent.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 10:43 AM, Originalticketholder said:

One thing I think that is overlooked is that AG, was incredibly young as a one and done, has played on a lottery team, has had a subpar PG, no real All Star, and has still put up really good numbers, improved every year in almost every category, and as mentioned is still only 23.  He was described by experts as an offensively raw talent with incredible athleticism.  As players develop around him how much higher a ceiling can he have.   My feeling is that Philly made a huge "LA Laker type mistake" and gave up on Fultz way too soon like the "tampering" Lakers gave up on Russell.  If I am right Fultz can make Gordon and Isaac lethal, and that is not even factoring in Bamba.  Yeah you might call this a big "if" but this is the kind of stuff that happens in the NBA all the time with one and dones.  

I agree with almost everything except, can we stop saying sub-par PG play? Maybe say prior to this year? DJ Augustine has had a very good year; and though he may not be top-5, I think we have to give credit where it is due. I don’t think there have been 15 better in the league this year.

• Upvote 1

I love DJ, but probably he's not the kind of PG that maximize Gordon strenghts. Ironically, Payton sometimes did, especially in fastbreaks and with lobs. Aaron surely need more of those, his %'s could be affected a little too by lack of those "easy" shots, but still has found ways to improve his & on 3's, even if by a small margin. He should definitely limit his step-back mid range shots, but he's smart and an hard worker, I'm sure he'll come back improved after every offseason.

The most important offensive improvement, IMO, is in his assist and awareness on the game. He's doubled his assist from two years ago (3,71 fron 1,88) and in the last part of the season, he seemed on the verge to produce a triple-double sometimes.

On defense, this season he's back where he belongs, after a very disappointing one. Definitely pointing in the right direction, but still a lot of work to do, and I presume he knows that.

On 4/13/2019 at 1:27 PM, Magicfan1987 said:

Markelle if healthy enough to play is still the best point guard prospect in the world

And if I were Fultz, watching the fans booing their own team in Philly after game 1,  I would be grateful to be out of that city.   And, yes an injured  former #1 pick in the NBA draft has a ceiling that is unlimited.

@?4thewin

I'm in a discussion about Harden with some friends, particularly about Gordon doing pretty well when he's been on him, have you got some stats that can help back me up? If it's easy to find maybe even some extra ones against other premier players because my friends aren't even convinced that Gordon is a great defender.

1 hour ago, The Boss said:

@?4thewin

I'm in a discussion about Harden with some friends, particularly about Gordon doing pretty well when he's been on him, have you got some stats that can help back me up? If it's easy to find maybe even some extra ones against other premier players because my friends aren't even convinced that Gordon is a great defender.

He was there main defender on harden during the 16-17 season. The last two years he's only been on him 7 possessions. We don't get the good matchup stats during the 16-17 season but we have this article:

https://www.nba.com/magic/news/orlando-magic-los-angeles-lakers-notebook-denton-20170108

Harden, a leading MVP candidate, came into Orlando on Friday fourth in the NBA in scoring (28.3 ppg.) and the owner five performances of at least 35 points this season. Gordon’s long-armed defense limited Harden to five of 15 shooting and zero-of-eight shooting from 3-point range. Even more impressive, Gordon limited Harden – the league’s most frequent visitor to the free throw line – to just six free throw attempts.

``Just keeping my hands out of the cookie jar – that’s the main thing,’’ Gordon said of defending with his body more than his hands. ``When you’re in a legal guarding positioning with the arm bar, he’ll make that illegal by sweeping through and using his forearm to draw fouls. I just kept my hands out of the way, (make him) try to finish over the top and use my physicality to my advantage.’’

Gordon’s shut-down performance against Harden came four nights after he frustrated New York star forward Carmelo Anthony with his defense. In an Orlando defeat of the Knicks in Madison Square Garden, Gordon surrendered just four baskets in 13 shot attempts against the player he was guarding, according to NBA.com’s database of stats. Most of those stops were against Anthony – the NBA’s 22nd-leading scorer – who hit only six of his 17 shot attempts on Monday

• Like 1

no surprises here, except for all the national talking heads saying we got fleeced in the trade because “Mozgov was under contract for longer”. Biz was always gonna opt in

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

no surprises here, except for all the national talking heads saying we got fleeced in the trade because “Mozgov was under contract for longer”. Biz was always gonna opt in

I don't remember anyone saying that