The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, magicblue said:

So we're 19-9 since January 31st. It's definitely something, but is it anything?

It's only anything if we get to 21-10

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Also good that we get a bit of cannibalization between competitors -- BKN vs MIA & DET vs CHA still to go.

Charlotte has largely been written off and probably rightfully so b/c they pretty much have to win out to have a chance.  But I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about how terrifying a final game in Charlotte with them on a winning streak would be.  Then again, I guess for that game to matter we'd probably have to lose the next 2 which might seal our fate already.

Oh wow, I knew some Hawks guys were gonna be out but...

Bazemore, Dedmon, Huerter, Plumlee, Poythress, Spellman all are out.  Deyonta Davis and Prince are probable.

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

Went back and re-read Zach Harper's SE division preview.  Among other characteristic snarky comments, here's what he put in the 'ceiling/floor' section:  "Maybe the Magic can crack 30 victories.  If they approach 35 in the horrible East, they should throw a parade.  The floor for them is ending up with the worst record in the NBA."

From what I can find, no one thought we would be around where we are.Kevin O'Conner might have been the most positive as he said we'd be fighting for a low playoff seed at best (which we are), but didn't give an exact prediction. Zach Lowe was another guy that was a little more positive, and by that I mean he said he could imagine the best version of the Magic being a 35 win team, but that he didn't see it.

If we are more fair to all of these guys though, most of us were more pessimistic at the beginning of this year. 

11 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

If we lose this one then we definitely don’t deserve to be in playoffs. 

Nah, I wouldn't go there. Atlanta hasn't been good but they haven't been dreadful either. They've surprised a few teams in the second half and Trae Young is gaining confidence. 

5 minutes ago, Odin said:

From what I can find, no one thought we would be around where we are.Kevin O'Conner might have been the most positive as he said we'd be fighting for a low playoff seed at best (which we are), but didn't give an exact prediction. Zach Lowe was another guy that was a little more positive, and by that I mean he said he could imagine the best version of the Magic being a 35 win team, but that he didn't see it.

If we are more fair to all of these guys though, most of us were more pessimistic at the beginning of this year. 

Eh, I think a fair group of us predicted 36-44 wins.  I don't think a prediction in the low-mid 30s would've been out of place.  But skepticism that we could "crack" 30, or seeing 26.5 as a toss up, or suggesting that this group has worst-record-in-the-league potential -- those all seem like dismissive and ill-informed assessments to me based on the info we had at hand. 

7 minutes ago, Odin said:

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

Nah, I wouldn't go there. Atlanta hasn't been good but they haven't been dreadful either. They've surprised a few teams in the second half and Trae Young is gaining confidence. 

Atlanta is 10-11 since the all-star break, with some good wins. Coming into the season i thought we were a mid 30's winning team. After November and December i thought we were a mid lottery team. Frankly, after all  the choking we did earlier, i am amazed we have chance  to be  a 40 win team. 

I am pleasantly surprised. 

28 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Lol, I was looking for my prediction but couldn't find it. I think I was in the high 30s. We were all feeling a little jaded from the 2018 season though, where a lot of us were predicting 40+ wins.