The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

24 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Okay, thanks. I know you don't have inside info from the front office. But what do you think will happen in the off season with Fulz, DJ, MCW, and Grant currently on the roster? Although DJ is currently playing pg, isn't his normal position sg? Do you think they will move him to playing sg next  season if he is still with the Magic?

Grant is going to be a Restricted Free Agent, but I don't think we will make the qualifying offer to keep him; so he will then become unrestricted. I don't see him on this team after the season ends. I believe that MCW becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season as well, and I expect that they will negotiate to bring him back. DJ is not a SG.  DJ is probably our starting PG until Fultz is recovered and takes it away. Fultz will probably see time backing up both guard slots to start the season. 

Our roster under contract for next season is:

August/Fultz

Fournier

Isaac/Iwundu/Frazier

Gordon

Bamba/Mozgov

Iwundu is not yet guaranteed, but he is signed at a club-favorable price and has made decent strides at being a contributor/rotation piece; so I am assuming we will keep him/guarantee the contract.

Vucevic and Ross are unrestricted, and I think MCW will be as well. Grant, Martin, and Birch are restricted; though I wouldn't be surprised to see us skip qualifying offers to Grant and/or Martin; which would make them unrestricted as well. I expect we will make Birch a qualifying offer to keep him restricted. I think that Martin is the biggest question mark about to qualify or not. I think if we re-sign Ross and/or draft another SG/SF with our first round pick, then we probably make Martin's qualifying offer; but if our first round pick is a front-court player or combo forward, then we probably make him unrestricted as well. 

Also, I believe that our 2Way players, Caupain and Jefferson become RFA's as well. I don't have any expectations for what the front office will do about them; but they may let them become unrestricted as well. 

39 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Our roster under contract for next season is:

August/Fultz

Fournier

Isaac/Iwundu/Frazier

Gordon

Bamba/Mozgov

Iwundu is not yet guaranteed, but he is signed at a club-favorable price and has made decent strides at being a contributor/rotation piece; so I am assuming we will keep him/guarantee the contract.

Vucevic and Ross are unrestricted, and I think MCW will be as well. Grant, Martin, and Birch are restricted; though I wouldn't be surprised to see us skip qualifying offers to Grant and/or Martin; which would make them unrestricted as well. I expect we will make Birch a qualifying offer to keep him restricted. I think that Martin is the biggest question mark about to qualify or not. I think if we re-sign Ross and/or draft another SG/SF with our first round pick, then we probably make Martin's qualifying offer; but if our first round pick is a front-court player or combo forward, then we probably make him unrestricted as well. 

Also, I believe that our 2Way players, Caupain and Jefferson become RFA's as well. I don't have any expectations for what the front office will do about them; but they may let them become unrestricted as well. 

Ross and Vooch are unrestricted? I am guessing we won't/can't resign both. Who would you rather have back? Who is harder to replace?

4 minutes ago, Barnabas Smith said:

Ross and Vooch are unrestricted? I am guessing we won't/can't resign both. Who would you rather have back? Who is harder to replace?

Ross

38 minutes ago, Barnabas Smith said:

Keep Ross

1 hour ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Okay, thanks. I know you don't have inside info from the front office. But what do you think will happen in the off season with Fulz, DJ, MCW, and Grant currently on the roster? Although DJ is currently playing pg, isn't his normal position sg? Do you think they will move him to playing sg next  season if he is still with the Magic?

It depends on what mcw's contract looks like, what Fultz looks like, what we do in the draft. 

We can temporarily keep 4 point guards if we want to and just run Augustin Fultz or Augustin-mcw lineups here and there because Fultz and mcw are built the same as Johnathan Simmons or oladipo. 

If we get someone like Garland in the draft (who is more Ben Gordon than a point guard) you can slot him as your "sg". 

Grant won't be on the team next year. 

I think they'll probably keep mcw. Not because he's even really that good, because he's not. But he really fits what we want to do and seems to be happy and I don't think he'd become a problem if he gets demoted to third string. 6'6 point guards who defend are difficult to find. 

But I can see them not wanting to keep him either. It's just really tough to predict right now because we don't know how they value the players.