The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

So what are our avenues of making the playoffs if we lose tonight? If we lose but beat Detroit do any of you forsee Det or Brooklyn being the team we fight for the 8th spot? What does the tie breaker with them stand at this moment?

As excited as I am about tonight I just feel really uneasy about our chances. Been a while since I felt this way about a game. I guess it's a gift and a curse. 

I don't think any of us would have said this a month ago, but it will almost certainly take 40 wins and may actually take a .500 record (41 wins) to make the playoffs in the East this year.  

Brooklyn has the toughest schedule left, with only one of their seven games against a sub-.500 team, and that is their final game against Miami; which could come down to a winner in/loser out. They are currently at 38-37, so if they can win just one to get to 39, they own the tie against us and we would need to win 40.

Detroit is at 37-36, with five games against playoff teams, two games against teams still battling (us/Charlotte), and two against eliminated teams (Memphis/NY). If we beat them, then we take the season series, and make their path to 41 very difficult; but wins against Cha/Mem/NY gets them to 40.

Miami is at 36-37, with four games against playoff teams, two against teams battling (us/Brooklyn) and three against eliminated teams (Dallas/NY/Minnesota). If we beat them, we get the tie-break (Divisional Record), if they beat us they do (Head-to-Head). If they can beat the three they should, that is 39 wins. A win against us or Brooklyn gets them to 40. 

I think a loss tonight to Miami would be almost impossible for us to overcome and make the playoffs. It is truly the definition of a must-win for us. 

5 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I think a loss tonight to Miami would be almost impossible for us to overcome and make the playoffs. It is truly the definition of a must-win for us. 

If the same team that showed up last night shows up again tonight we will blow them out.

52 minutes ago, alwaystragic said:

I give credit when it's due. fournier has been better last 3 games. 

Still, many years experience says he will go back to earth with his usual 4-11 13 point night in a loss

MCW on the other hand, has been consistent and key for us.

And we need gordon to wake up, he has been sleeping and hurting us with non production lately

We have won 5 in a row. He is has been decent at worst these last 5 games although slightly inconsistent while still being our best defender. How exactly has he hurt us? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

We have won 5 in a row. He is has been decent at worst these last 5 games although slightly inconsistent while still being our best defender. How exactly has he hurt us? 

Box score watcher.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

You’ll never get any credit for an Insightful opinion from ?4thewin on this forum because he’s declared himself the authority on all opinions. I think your observation is sound. That’ll propbably cost me a negative, but I don’t care. I sent you a +.

• Upvote 3

Winning tonight would be massive, and obviously optimal.  I'm not sure if we lose tonight that we're definitely out though.  We've stayed close enough to DET (who we still have a game against) and BKN that we've given ourselves a couple of non-Miami avenues to the playoffs.

But yeah, plz win.

12 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

You’ll never get any credit for an Insightful opinion from ?4thewin on this forum because he’s declared himself the authority on all opinions. I think your observation is sound. That’ll propbably cost me a negative, but I don’t care. I sent you a +.

Huh?

7 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Winning tonight would be massive, and obviously optimal.  I'm not sure if we lose tonight that we're definitely out though.  We've stayed close enough to DET (who we still have a game against) and BKN that we've given ourselves a couple of non-Miami avenues to the playoffs.

But yeah, plz win.

It just makes it marginally more difficult. 

19 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

I think you should let go of whatever feelings you have towards 4TheWin they're starting to cloud your your judgement. He wasn't calling me a box score watcher but was referring to AkwaysTragic and his weird take on Gordon.

Both of you provide something to the forum just let it go. Continue to agree and disagree with whomever. In the end that's the reason we are here. Let's debate, cheer, and feel sad together!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

I think you should let go of whatever feelings you have towards 4TheWin they're starting to cloud your your judgement. He wasn't calling me a box score watcher but was referring to AkwaysTragic and his weird take on Gordon.

Both of you provide something to the forum just let it go. Continue to agree and disagree with whomever. In the end that's the reason we are here. Let's debate, cheer, and feel sad together!

I hear you and you are right. It bugs me that he is often negative with poster’s opinions, not just mine. I don’t always agree with everyone, but I at least respect their opinion and am not curt with them. I have tried in the past to be amicable and even complimented him on his good stats, but he always has smartalic comments. I give him credit for some good stat research, but his bedside manner for a Moderator leaves a lot to be desired. 

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

I hear you and you are right. It bugs me that he is often negative with poster’s opinions, not just mine. I don’t always agree with everyone, but I at least respect their opinion and am not curt with them. I have tried in the past to be amicable and even complimented him on his good stats, but he always has smartalic comments. I give him credit for some good stat research, but his bedside manner for a Moderator leaves a lot to be desired. 

I'd contend that explaining the actual observed value of a late second round pick is pretty far from "being negative with posters opinions". 

The collective basketball IQ for this message board is a lot higher that what I see elsewhere because our statements are challenged. It makes us better basketball viewers by being on here.

I'm sorry our interactions left you feeling slighted. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1