The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

12 hours ago, alwaystragic said:

the first 5 players selected in the past draft all look like stars

too bad we picked 6th

We missed out on the top 5  because we are clueless when it comes to tanking.  I do not endorse tanking but to say it does not work is delusional.  You have to do it timely and correctly something we have never done.  Now I think it is way too early to think this draft was not deeper than 5 stars.  I could easily see Bamba, after watching what he has done this year against NBA players,  making it 6 star deep and Porter, Jr, if he gets healthy, 7 star deep.  Wish Bamba would not have been injured.  Yeah there were times he was on a learning curve, but there were times he schooled veterans.  I do not think it will take him as long as some people think to be a major contributor.  I think as early as next year which is why I am not worried on what Vuc decides.

16 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

We missed out on the top 5  because we are clueless when it comes to tanking.  I do not endorse tanking but to say it does not work is delusional.  You have to do it timely and correctly something we have never done.  Now I think it is way too early to think this draft was not deeper than 5 stars.  I could easily see Bamba, after watching what he has done this year against NBA players,  making it 6 star deep and Porter, Jr, if he gets healthy, 7 star deep.  Wish Bamba would not have been injured.  Yeah there were times he was on a learning curve, but there were times he schooled veterans.  I do not think it will take him as long as some people think to be a major contributor.  I think as early as next year which is why I am not worried on what Vuc decides.

Bamba is as mobile as he is long, that's scary. Hes also skilled at shooting.  He could be a perrenial DPOY candidate and three point marksman at the 5 position. He could be a truly truly valuable player, potentially even more valuable with that skill set than many elite centers who are better at scoring overall but are lesser defenders (see Karl Anthony Towns). Hes already more skilled offensively than Rudy Gobert.  Bamba has elite upside, I've been diving into his history lately and man have we forgotten about himself as a high ceiling piece moving forward.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

Again, for the thousandth time, we finished the season going 7 and 21. We talked as well as anybody could reasonably expect

9 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Again, for the thousandth time, we finished the season going 7 and 21. We talked as well as anybody could reasonably expect

That is delusional all unto itself.....using the word reasonable and tanking in the same sentence.  That is the point.  I think we would both agree that tanking is not being reasonable because no reasonable person/team would/should ever tank.  But the NBA does not operate on reason, it operates on wins and losses and money.  It was not reasonable that Dallas was fined $600,000 for saying they were tanking last year but fined nothing when they did.  It was not reasonable when the LA "tampering" Lakers were fined $500,000 for tampering last year and then when caught a second time were fined only $10,000.  It was not reasonable when small market teams complained to Silver about LeBron tampering with AD at the trade deadline and then fining Milwaukee Bucks owner for (I am paraphrasing) something like we would like AD on our team???????  The new lottery system (designed so tanking does not occur) is not reasonable since the team with the worst record can get pick 5.  Both tanking and NBA are  not reasonable but NBA is still Fantastic!  Having said all that I am very happy we got pick 6 and Bamba.  

32 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Bamba is as mobile as he is long, that's scary. Hes also skilled at shooting.  He could be a perrenial DPOY candidate and three point marksman at the 5 position. He could be a truly truly valuable player, potentially even more valuable with that skill set than many elite centers who are better at scoring overall but are lesser defenders (see Karl Anthony Towns). Hes already more skilled offensively than Rudy Gobert.  Bamba has elite upside, I've been diving into his history lately and man have we forgotten about himself as a high ceiling piece moving forward.

A definite +1.  I give opinions, you give facts!!!!  And I totally agree.   I am salivating over the possibility of Bamba and Fultz perfecting the pick and roll.  

• Upvote 1

Last years draft was by far the most painful. Washington really should have won that last game. Also for most of the year it really seemed like Doncic and Young would go top 3. I know things changed a bit  before the draft, but seeing them both fall  to where we should be picking broke my heart. 

I was on Trea but my fallback was Doncic and look how good both have become. 

On 3/16/2019 at 1:57 PM, Magicfan1987 said:

The problem with Zion is he cant shoot. He has to play the 4 so you have to have a stretch 5 that protects the rim and an above average small forward to keep teams honest, having both is almost as rare as having a player like Zion.  

I know you are talking nba level skills, but I watched every game since he came back. The kid hit the 3, pull up shots and mid range jumpers with nothing but net.He really does look like Barkley. The comparison is justified. 

I have to remind the youngsters on the forum, Barkley  was amazing, he was a unicorn. Don't hold it against him having no championships. He was top 5 in my lifetime  and probably  my favorite player to watch.

It's tough to figure out who we should be rooting for in this Miami Charlotte game. 

If we had to pick who to compete with between both teams we should pick Miami because we have tiebreakers over them. 

It makes sense to want Miami to lose games because we can catch them faster.

It makes sense to want Charlotte to lose games because then we only need to worry about Miami and not Miami and Charlotte.