The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

8 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Equally talented players. One can shoot sometimes and defend sometimes but can't run an offense. One can run an offense but can't shoot and can defend sometimes. 

Our bench could obviously benefit from more scoring the good thing is it doesn’t matter where those points come from. If MCW can come in and create for others while playing solid D it’s a winning move. MCW appears to at least get to line. The penatration alone should increase bench production. 

The Hawks just lost to Boston. They will be on a back-to-back when they play the Magic tomorrow night. I hope they will be too tired and we can get a win. I know, playing back-to-back does not always guarantee a loss.

So Shams is reporting that Ingram had his clot removed. In my experience, this is extremely unusual management of a DVT. Perhaps this is the route they opted for since he is a professional athlete?

Clot removal is typical an option for unstable patients with PEs who can’t undergo thrombolysis (drug-induced clot destruction using alteplase). This gets done occasionally for ICU patients if needed. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a case where a thrombectomy is performed for a DVT in an ambulatory, otherwise healthy patient.

JJZFL, do you have any comments on this? Seems weird to me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Equally talented players. One can shoot sometimes and defend sometimes but can't run an offense. One can run an offense but can't shoot and can defend sometimes. 

Fu...sion....HA! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

I see almost no similarities between him and Giannis other than they’re both great athletes. 

Big (albeit Giannis is taller), good defense, good handles for their size, in the paint scorers, not much volume from outside, he’s in the same mold.

Westbrook got 16th Tech and misses Mondays game at home to the heat. Little things like that annoy me lol.

Nets lost at Jazz

Heat play Hornets tomorrow

Nets at Clippers tomorrow

Heat @ OKC Monday

Take advantage time for us!!

Just met Trae Young’s dad in an elevator. Nice guy. Didn’t even realize we play the Hawks tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, alwaystragic said:

the first 5 players selected in the past draft all look like stars

too bad we picked 6th

Bamba has the potential to be better than all of them... but he also has the potential to be just an average backup. Time will tell.

19 hours ago, ML6 said:

So Shams is reporting that Ingram had his clot removed. In my experience, this is extremely unusual management of a DVT. Perhaps this is the route they opted for since he is a professional athlete?

Clot removal is typical an option for unstable patients with PEs who can’t undergo thrombolysis (drug-induced clot destruction using alteplase). This gets done occasionally for ICU patients if needed. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a case where a thrombectomy is performed for a DVT in an ambulatory, otherwise healthy patient.

JJZFL, do you have any comments on this? Seems weird to me. 

I agree with your assessment.  It may well be what you said, that he was willing to take additional risk in order to have a chance at returning to basketball sooner or with better function.  When millions of dollars are at stake, people may choose more aggressive medical decisions than would otherwise be the case.

Are we sure that the clot was removed mechanically?  I haven't been following this at all but clot removal as a lay term might include thrombolysis (dissolving the clot with potent medications for others on this forum).  I've seen thrombolysis done for DVT's where the person had severe symptoms, for example a severely swollen extremity.

Sorry I can't give you better answers, I think you ask a good question.  If the clot was removed mechanically, I agree that would be highly unusual in a non life-threatening situation.  Has he had recent surgery, or was there any other contra-indication to thrombolysis?  I've seen that situation come up where a person with surgery a few weeks earlier developed a large and painful DVT with massive swelling of the extremity, but everyone was afraid to try to dissolve it because of concerns of bleeding into the recent surgical site.  I recall that they did try mechanical removal of the clot in that case.

3 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I agree with your assessment.  It may well be what you said, that he was willing to take additional risk in order to have a chance at returning to basketball sooner or with better function.  When millions of dollars are at stake, people may choose more aggressive medical decisions than would otherwise be the case.

Are we sure that the clot was removed mechanically?  I haven't been following this at all but clot removal as a lay term might include thrombolysis (dissolving the clot with potent medications for others on this forum).  I've seen thrombolysis done for DVT's where the person had severe symptoms, for example a severely swollen extremity.

Sorry I can't give you better answers, I think you ask a good question.  If the clot was removed mechanically, I agree that would be highly unusual in a non life-threatening situation.  Has he had recent surgery, or was there any other contra-indication to thrombolysis?  I've seen that situation come up where a person with surgery a few weeks earlier developed a large and painful DVT with massive swelling of the extremity, but everyone was afraid to try to dissolve it because of concerns of bleeding into the recent surgical site.  I recall that they did try mechanical removal of the clot in that case.

Yeah, no clue.  I haven't seen a true medical description of what happened, just media reporting the clot was "removed".  I think you're probably on the right track that maybe they did catheter-directed thrombolysis and called it "removal" as that would be much less drastic than surgical removal, although still somewhat odd.