The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

Crazy I thought RJ was the best player on Duke and would be the one carrying them—but it’s so clearly Zion’s team by a wide margin. 

No doubt about that. RJ isn't as alpha or as good a shooter as I wanted him to be. Almost shades of McLemore.

In the long run, I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a better NBA player than Zion, though.

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

This can't be true. I'm sure the Magic had some huge lead bigger then this that they blew this season. At least it feels that way. LOL!!!

Also Zion is a beast. Just goes to show how much the NBA has changed. 25 years ago this guy is Shaq, unquestionably number 1. No doubters, future HOF from the moment he enters the draft. Now, he will still go number one but there will be a million articles explaining why he won't work in today's NBA. Can't shoot the three!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

No doubt about that. RJ isn't as alpha or as good a shooter as I wanted him to be. Almost shades of McLemore.

In the long run, I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a better NBA player than Zion, though.

He's been like NBA Devin Booker translated to college. Gross production is there. Efficiency isn't. Poor decision making especially when calling his own number. 

I wonder how he'd be viewed if he didn't have the crazy expectations placed on him and wasn't on that team. He's still averaging 23, 7.5, and 4.2. 

But one of the NBA draft Twitter guys has a hypothesis that every NBA star, regardless of ability as a defender, has a certain threshold of steal percentage in college and that's basically a measure of "feel". I think it's in the 1.7 range. Barrett is at 1.2.

16 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

This can't be true. I'm sure the Magic had some huge lead bigger then this that they blew this season. At least it feels that way. LOL!!!

Also Zion is a beast. Just goes to show how much the NBA has changed. 25 years ago this guy is Shaq, unquestionably number 1. No doubters, future HOF from the moment he enters the draft. Now, he will still go number one but there will be a million articles explaining why he won't work in today's NBA. Can't shoot the three!!!!!!

We've blown the lead but we end up losing by 6. 

Zion wouldn't have any questions about his game if he was 2 inches taller

Why is nobody talking about McW? I was reading about him on another Magic forum. Someone reminded me he had a bunch of shoulder problems.

It wasn't just his inefficiency, turnovers or work ethic that derailed his career. Poor guy had big time shoulder injuries after that first year.

Sounds familiar, hoping that doesn't continue with another former Sixer.

MCW Fun Fact: Played his first career NBA game against the James/Wade/Bosh Heat and had 22 points, 7 rebounds, 12 assists and 9 steals in a win.

7 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Why is nobody talking about McW? I was reading about him on another Magic forum. Someone reminded me he had a bunch of shoulder problems.

It wasn't just his inefficiency, turnovers or work ethic that derailed his career. Poor guy had big time shoulder injuries after that first year.

Sounds familiar, hoping that doesn't continue with another former Sixer.

MCW Fun Fact: Played his first career NBA game against the James/Wade/Bosh Heat and had 22 points, 7 rebounds, 12 assists and 9 steals in a win.

I just don’t think anyone thinks he’ll have much of an impact in either direction.

Just now, Magicman28 said:

“Blah blah blah has great length...”

weham: “Sign him!!”

Lol you never know... maybe he maximizes his minutes and makes the little plays that keep us with a double digit lead rather than the 5 or less differential we’ve been losing by. 

53 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

“Blah blah blah has great length...”

weham: “Sign him!!”

This is always a funny narrative with Weham, it never gets old. Speaking of Gm's it clear to me with this years NFL free agency, some general managers are just bad.

Just because you get paid well to do a job does not mean you know what your doing.Some of these guys are truly awful.The NBA is full of the same kind of gm's.

So many head scratching moves that look bad before the ink is even dry!

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

He's been like NBA Devin Booker translated to college. Gross production is there. Efficiency isn't. Poor decision making especially when calling his own number. 

I wonder how he'd be viewed if he didn't have the crazy expectations placed on him and wasn't on that team. He's still averaging 23, 7.5, and 4.2. 

But one of the NBA draft Twitter guys has a hypothesis that every NBA star, regardless of ability as a defender, has a certain threshold of steal percentage in college and that's basically a measure of "feel". I think it's in the 1.7 range. Barrett is at 1.2.

I only wish we could have that "hypothetical" 1.2.  Zion has earned #1.  I would definitely take this 1.2 at #2.