The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

15 minutes ago, rekraprovert said:

There's no way MCW can be any worse than Grant......right?

I haven't seen much of him in the last few years, but he was a former rookie of the year, so he has to be better than Grant?? I'm also guessing that they aren't convinced Caupain is up to it.

I think MCW might help because he's a bad point guard where Grant isn't a point guard at all. He can pass and defend (sometimes). 

But there's no reason for optimism at all. 

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

I think MCW might help because he's a bad point guard where Grant isn't a point guard at all. He can pass and defend (sometimes). 

Anything that reduces Grants minutes (ideally, to 0) makes me optimistic.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

At least Grant has been shooting it well recently, though. Ignoring MCW’s rookie season, his 3 point percentage has been under 30% his whole career. I’m no fan of Grant, but I feel like this could hurt the offense more than help it.

1 minute ago, 3rd Quarter Collapse said:

At least Grant has been shooting it well recently, though. Ignoring MCW’s rookie season, his 3 point percentage has been under 30% his whole career. I’m no fan of Grant, but I feel like this could hurt the offense more than help it.

Yeah. There's really two options here. 

1. Wow MCW is bad but his passing helps that second unit enough to make him playable

2. Wow MCW is so bad that he can't take Grant's job. 

26 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah. There's really two options here. 

1. Wow MCW is bad but his passing helps that second unit enough to make him playable

2. Wow MCW is so bad that he can't take Grant's job. 

And either way we have 10 days to take look without costing much.

30 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Grant’s impact is so bad that it’s staggering. At least MCW should know Cliff’s system. 

He might have been the worst player in the NBA in his system last year though

13 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Grant’s impact is so bad that it’s staggering. At least MCW should know Cliff’s system. 

That's assuming that WeltHam spoke with Cliff prior to signing him, since Cliff had him in Charlotte last year. I know his numbers were inflated his rookie year by being on a (very) bad Philly team, and I can see him not being able to stick in Houston, when you already have Harden/Paul eating up most of the PG minutes; but I was surprised that Chicago didn't give him a chance earlier this year instead of waiving him after the trade.

How poorly must we think of Grant and/or Caupain to bring in MCW on a 10-day tryout? The only other alternative I can think is they don't want to pull Caupain up permanently until the G-League finishes, since he is very important to Lakeland, so they are going to fill with a couple 10-day contracts in the meantime.