The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Gordon MVP said:

Miami is now the 8th seed? This damn team 

Wade ain't going to go down without a fight and they are all gonna be playing their hearts out even more for them to make so he has 1 last playoff series

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Nah. There's a specific benchmark we need to hit and we're in a good position to do that. If we end up with 36 wins it's been a marginally disappointing season because although that's basically in the early season prediction range we've had outlier level health. The average team has 75ish missed games from their top 6 or so players and currently we're at 14. So predictions need to be reevaluated based on these facts just like last year needed to be reevaluated based on outlier level injuries. 

It's one reason I expect next season's record to be within a few games of this seasons record. Whatever growth we see in the off-season will probably also come with more missed games from important players. (and please remind me about this in 6 months when I start getting hyped about the season starting again)

Completely agree.  Jeff Turner (not that I always agree with him) predicted 40 wins mainly due to improvement in number of missed games due to injury.  Looks like he should be close to accurate if we take care of business which we should.  I am hoping because of all the games missed last year (which I think was double or more of that average 75ish number) we get a 2 year break (this year and next year).  If Fultz and Bamba stay healthy that would help.  And depth should be a little better assuming we resign one or both of Ross and Vuc which i believe is the plan.  

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Nah. There's a specific benchmark we need to hit and we're in a good position to do that. If we end up with 36 wins it's been a marginally disappointing season because although that's basically in the early season prediction range we've had outlier level health. The average team has 75ish missed games from their top 6 or so players and currently we're at 14. So predictions need to be reevaluated based on these facts just like last year needed to be reevaluated based on outlier level injuries. 

It's one reason I expect next season's record to be within a few games of this seasons record. Whatever growth we see in the off-season will probably also come with more missed games from important players. (and please remind me about this in 6 months when I start getting hyped about the season starting again)

Lol I can see it now "dont get too hyped bud remember most of these guys will be broken like 2 years ago."

15 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

To me this season will be a success if we do or don't make the playoffs.  Getting Fultz and the possibility of turning him around, Bamba's potential, and JI's development is success enough for me.

It would be a failure in my opinion if we don’t make the playoffs. The inability to capitalize on what was given to us with other teams resting their stars, the health we’ve had, the fact that we had a first all star in years, the historically weak east and STILL can’t make it?

No, the team would need a serious shake up. We had every chance possible. 

2 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

It would be a failure in my opinion if we don’t make the playoffs. The inability to capitalize on what was given to us with other teams resting their stars, the health we’ve had, the fact that we had a first all star in years, the historically weak east and STILL can’t make it?

Yep

4 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

Yeah but come on our all-star is Vooch.  If it was Gordon I would feel totally different.  This team needs a serious shake up anyway, like it or not we are still and should be in rebuild mode.  So you are saying if we miss the playoffs by 1 game it is an automatic failure?

7 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

I think failure is too strong. We developed a team identity. We have a direction and a short/long term plan. We competed for a playoff spot. 

But yeah, if Miami, Charlotte, Brooklyn, or even probably Washington had our record with our schedule remaining they should make the playoffs. If we don't what's that really say about us?

10 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

But yeah, if Miami, Charlotte, Brooklyn, or even probably Washington had our record with our schedule remaining they should make the playoffs. If we don't what's that really say about us?

Perfect way to put it man. Yeah we all didn’t really expect to compete for the playoffs at the beginning of the season, but looking at where we are now, the failure to capitalize on having so many chances really burns me up inside.