The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I’m starting to think this “Mamba Mentality” label Kobe gives out is akin to the old Madden Curse. 

Kobe was always a player who's immense natural talent bailed him out of really dumb basketball decisions. 

Edit: I should add he also worked really hard and constantly added to his game. But my point was other players should stop trying to emulate Kobe because if Kobe was only 80% of what he was he'd be a pretty frustrating player. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I've been bored and playing around with stats. 

The interesting thing about our play lately is we're not forcing opponents into bad shots. We're just eliminating easy shots. We're near the top of the league in Opponent points off turnovers, fast break points, second chance points, points in the paint, and free throw rate. 

Those sound like good categories to be near the top. How many of the last games is this, like 7 or 8?

2 minutes ago, jjgator said:

Those sound like good categories to be near the top. How many of the last games is this, like 7 or 8?

We're 3rd in points off turnovers and 1st in second chance points in 2019. But 12th in fast break points and 21st in points in the paint during that period (ends up being 20-23 games). 

Over the last 15 games we're 3rd, 1st, 11th, 12th in the same order of categories.

Over the last 10 games we're 2nd, 1st, tied for 3rd, and 15th. 

And our opponent field goal percentage within 6 feet from the basket is 2nd in the league over the past 10 games. 

We're not forcing turnovers, not getting fast breaks, not getting second chance points, not driving into the paint, not getting to the free throw line. 

We're just protecting the rim without fouling, not making mistakes on offense, and hitting open mid range jumpers

Just now, ?4thewin said:

Oh, also we're tied for 4th in opponent free throw rate since 1/1/19

These are all hallmarks of a Clifford team right? Don't allow turn overs, don't allow offensive boards, don't foul.

Also, I was just looking at the stats for Iwundu. Of players who have defended at least 100 shots, he has the second best defensive field goal allowed percentage. Are we underestimating how good he has been on defense so far this year? 

Just now, Odin said:

Are we underestimating how good he has been on defense so far this year? 

Nah. A lot of that is probably just opponents missing shots. 

He's really active and he contests a lot. It's difficult for bench players to score on him. 

But I think he's just a really solid active wing defender vs a shut down guy who can be a weapon against great scorers. More Bazemore than iguodala. At least right now. 

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Nah. A lot of that is probably just opponents missing shots. 

He's really active and he contests a lot. It's difficult for bench players to score on him. 

But I think he's just a really solid active wing defender vs a shut down guy who can be a weapon against great scorers. More Bazemore than iguodala. At least right now. 

That is probably fair. I'd like to see some on-off stats for him defensively too- I think that usually helps paint the picture of how much a player improves a defense. But 82games, which I usually used in the past, has not updated for 2019.

Basically he struggled to defend Otto Porter, Lou Williams, Middleton, JJ, and Russell but did really well defending monk, siakam, Bullock, Wiggins, Darius Miller, Sterling brown, etc. 

Just now, ?4thewin said:

Basically he struggled to defend Otto Porter, Lou Williams, Middleton, JJ, and Russell but did really well defending monk, siakam, Bullock, Wiggins, Darius Miller, Sterling brown, etc. 

To be fair, Siakam is pretty legit and Wiggins can score in bunches, but can also go very cold.

49 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We're 3rd in points off turnovers and 1st in second chance points in 2019. But 12th in fast break points and 21st in points in the paint during that period (ends up being 20-23 games). 

Over the last 15 games we're 3rd, 1st, 11th, 12th in the same order of categories.

Over the last 10 games we're 2nd, 1st, tied for 3rd, and 15th. 

Is there some website you use where you can plug in info to find out those starts?