The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

And that is a good thing...let's do it right instead of trying to do it quick....Absolutely need a better alternative at PG and SG to maximize the talents of BIG.  Fultz may have solved the one, Iwundu and hopefully Ross (not a fan of Fournier as the long term answer at SG but I will admit I could be proven wrong but I doubt it) can  help solidify the other.  That does not even address pulling in a FA.  FA of significance probably cannot be attracted here until after next season or the following season but could be enticed by then.  Sounds like that also may be what the FO thinks since they appear to want to resign both Ross and Vuc.

Actually for all the hate we give Fournier, when he is on he is exactly the type of shooting guard we need. I would prefer our PG to be the fast, strong,  penetrator who draws fouls. With B.I.G. i wouldn't need our shooting guard to be a volume scorer. Just an over-sized  2 who can hit the three and can handle the ball a bit and is maybe an above average passer instead of a score first guy.This is exactly what Fournier is except we were all right,  he probably peaked 2 or 3 years ago.

This is exactly what happened. Some guys have a ceiling.Seeing the last month there is still hope that he plays within his game and is more consistent going forward.

9 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It's really weird how we went from a super exciting trade deadline to 5 great games in 8 days to nothing exciting for a week. Just feels weird

I agree. I could care less about all-star weekend. The excitement there is far less than watching our Magic come together. I lost interest in AS weekend after they ripped off AG in the dunk contest.

14 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It's really weird how we went from a super exciting trade deadline to 5 great games in 8 days to nothing exciting for a week. Just feels weird

It’ll be excitement overload when we get back though, especially if we destroy the Bulls heading in to our road game in Toronto and possibly get Fultz playing.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:11 AM, Optimist Prime said:

Birch is 26, played overseas, and is in his second NBA season. He played 42 games last year. Let’s maybe hold off on deciding to place our hopes on him before giving up on the 20 year old rookie still learning the game?

If we were making a championship run, and needed a player who can contribute now rather than later, then maybe. But only to help that run. We are barely in the playoff race, and need to build sustainability. Not sure why this is being approached with a win-now mentality.

15 hours ago, chosen12 said:

I agree completely, anyone thinking of giving up on a kid like Bamba, has clearly forgotten our history of "giving up on and giving away" 5 star talent!

I hated giving up Big Ben Wallace and Billups, all while they were still developing, and let's not forget how we treated Victor Olidipo, prior to trading him away!

This discussion has come to an odd place.  I don't think there is a choice between playing a player who isn't yet ready and making the current team worse in the process, vs developing that player for the future.  A lot of rookies aren't ready to play important minutes when they first come in the league.  That's ok.  Develop them (as SVG did with Reddick) but don't have them play big minutes which may hurt the team now.  Being on a winning team and sharing in being competitive is also very important in the development of a young player.  No one is talking about "giving up" on anybody.

Regarding P4TW's earlier post about it being easy to find inexpensive replacement back-up centers who can bring the same value as Birch, I think that extrapolating statistical generalities to specific circumstances may not always give an accurate picture.  Last season, Vuch/Biyombo terrible, Biyombo/Birch (for the entire month Vuch was out) much better.  This year, Vuch/Bamba pretty bad most of the time, Vuch/Birch much better.  Now maybe this all a coincidence.  But I don't believe that.  Obviously I wouldn't overpay Birch if he wants more than 4M a year, but if possible I would retain him and try to give him minutes until Bamba is ready.  If that takes 2-3 more years,  so be it, let this team taste some success for awhile, and don't allow years where we could possibly be competitive to slip away in the name of development.  In doing that, you will probably not accomplish either goal.

If you think it's nice for us as fans to finally have meaningful and even exciting games to look forward to after the AS break for the first time in 7 years, just think how much more important it is the for the players to experience that kind of competition.  This is just no other way for them to learn it.

I read earlier this week NFL interested in Silver.  Hoping feeling is mutual.  If below is his true assessment of  tanking teams, NBA would be better off  with him in the NFL.  I am not a fan of tanking but to say it is corrosive, based on the Knicks, ignores the success of Philly, Dallas (now with Doncic due to tanking), Sacramento making noise due to tanking,  Phoenix with a little luck will succeed due to tanking, Cleveland was a tanker 6 or 7 years ago, then succeeded, and now they are now back to tanking.  Tanking is corrosive if you end up with picks 4-8 for 2-3 consecutive years, yet it is a pathway to success  if you end up with picks 1-3 three years in a row.  Still need good management.  I think it is bad management that is much more corrosive than tanking.  But you cannot make a rule against that.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/adam_silver_tanking_is_corrosive_for_teams_trying_to_rebuild/s1_14822_28452245?mb_edition=20190217

49 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

This discussion has come to an odd place.  I don't think there is a choice between playing a player who isn't yet ready and making the current team worse in the process, vs developing that player for the future.  A lot of rookies aren't ready to play important minutes when they first come in the league.  That's ok.  Develop them (as SVG did with Reddick) but don't have them play big minutes which may hurt the team now.  Being on a winning team and sharing in being competitive is also very important in the development of a young player.  No one is talking about "giving up" on anybody.

Regarding P4TW's earlier post about it being easy to find inexpensive replacement back-up centers who can bring the same value as Birch, I think that extrapolating statistical generalities to specific circumstances may not always give an accurate picture.  Last season, Vuch/Biyombo terrible, Biyombo/Birch (for the entire month Vuch was out) much better.  This year, Vuch/Bamba pretty bad most of the time, Vuch/Birch much better.  Now maybe this all a coincidence.  But I don't believe that.  Obviously I wouldn't overpay Birch if he wants more than 4M a year, but if possible I would retain him and try to give him minutes until Bamba is ready.  If that takes 2-3 more years,  so be it, let this team taste some success for awhile, and don't allow years where we could possibly be competitive to slip away in the name of development.  In doing that, you will probably not accomplish either goal.

If you think it's nice for us as fans to finally have meaningful and even exciting games to look forward to after the AS break for the first time in 7 years, just think how much more important it is the for the players to experience that kind of competition.  This is just no other way for them to learn it.

Rookies are typically bad. 

We should always pay a bit more for certainty. 

If Birch gets decent money there's other options for us

33 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

I read earlier this week NFL interested in Silver.  Hoping feeling is mutual.  If below is his true assessment of  tanking teams, NBA would be better off  with him in the NFL.  I am not a fan of tanking but to say it is corrosive, based on the Knicks, ignores the success of Philly, Dallas (now with Doncic due to tanking), Sacramento making noise due to tanking,  Phoenix with a little luck will succeed due to tanking, Cleveland was a tanker 6 or 7 years ago, then succeeded, and now they are now back to tanking.  Tanking is corrosive if you end up with picks 4-8 for 2-3 consecutive years, yet it is a pathway to success  if you end up with picks 1-3 three years in a row.  Still need good management.  I think it is bad management that is much more corrosive than tanking.  But you cannot make a rule against that.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/adam_silver_tanking_is_corrosive_for_teams_trying_to_rebuild/s1_14822_28452245?mb_edition=20190217

Didn’t Silver say he wasn’t interested in the job? 

1 hour ago, Originalticketholder said:

I think Silver is right.  We’re another excellent example. 

6 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I agree. I could care less about all-star weekend. The excitement there is far less than watching our Magic come together. I lost interest in AS weekend after they ripped off AG in the dunk contest.

AG was absolutely ripped off bigtime! That certainly has a lot to do with the loss of interest in the ASG stuff. Also it is interrupting this great Magic run here recently. 8 days off is just too long imho. They should play the game on Sunday and return to regular season play the following Tuesday.  I hope the Magic come back with the same focus and intensity.

3 minutes ago, MagicOne said:

AG was absolutely ripped off bigtime! That certainly has a lot to do with the loss of interest in the ASG stuff. Also it is interrupting this great Magic run here recently. 8 days off is just too long imho. They should play the game on Sunday and return to regular season play the following Tuesday.  I hope the Magic come back with the same focus and intensity.

It'd be more exciting if we had a hyper athletic scorer. McGrady's first all star game was a very important part of my childhood. All star games are built for that type of guy. 

Dwight and now vucevic are boring. Not their fault. They're just not flashy offensive players