The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

If we don't resign Vuc I would make him a decent offer maybe 4/20-24 and split the minutes until/if Bamba gets up to speed. Birch has been great for us!

Last quote I read from Vucevic he claimed he'd be mad not to explore his own value. As great as he has been this year I don't think he's been the catalyst behind our resurgence. Not sure he'll be value in re-signing him. Rather overpay for Ross

After the deadline everyone is obviously all-in for a playoff spot, but I don't forget Vuc past and his shortcomings for that.

So, even if we close the season in great shape, mine is a big NO  to another contract for him, and another no to spending big money for the center position.

Extend Birch to a resonable offer (or another center with similar traits), wait for the obvious improvement of Bamba, and roll with it. Play AG and JI at PF/C sometimes with better and more competent guards, be modern, and play fast.

(but I know that's unlikely, as coach and management seem to have a different philosophy)

I think there’s more to it than just being in “camp-Vooch” or “camp-Mo”. Vucevic has been great this season, and I know it’s a contract year, but a lot of it is also Coach Clifford who’s built a reputation on getting the most out of his players, especially 1s and 5s. I honestly think we keep both and let Birch walk. Vucevic will man the 5 for the next couple years and then Mo will be ready. He’s still a long ways away and super raw and young though. I just think we should explore every avenue. Mo isn’t untouchable and if he and Fournier can get you a Beal or a McCollum, you have to think about it.

20 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Birch is 26, played overseas, and is in his second NBA season. He played 42 games last year. Let’s maybe hold off on deciding to place our hopes on him before giving up on the 20 year old rookie still learning the game?

If we were making a championship run, and needed a player who can contribute now rather than later, then maybe. But only to help that run. We are barely in the playoff race, and need to build sustainability. Not sure why this is being approached with a win-now mentality.

I agree completely, anyone thinking of giving up on a kid like Bamba, has clearly forgotten our history of "giving up on and giving away" 5 star talent!

I hated giving up Big Ben Wallace and Billups, all while they were still developing, and let's not forget how we treated Victor Olidipo, prior to trading him away!

8 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I think there’s more to it than just being in “camp-Vooch” or “camp-Mo”. Vucevic has been great this season, and I know it’s a contract year, but a lot of it is also Coach Clifford who’s built a reputation on getting the most out of his players, especially 1s and 5s. I honestly think we keep both and let Birch walk. Vucevic will man the 5 for the next couple years and then Mo will be ready. He’s still a long ways away and super raw and young though. I just think we should explore every avenue. Mo isn’t untouchable and if he and Fournier can get you a Beal or a McCollum, you have to think about it.

Looking at the development of Isaac this year and the progress of Bamba this year I would classify Bamba as untouchable until we have him for a year or two at the very least.  In the future there will always be a need for a 7 footer with a 7'10" wingspan.  We said Isaac was a long way away last year and look what we have one year later.   Our history of trading away future stars should frighten all of us.  

2 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

Looking at the development of Isaac this year and the progress of Bamba this year I would classify Bamba as untouchable until we have him for a year or two at the very least.  In the future there will always be a need for a 7 footer with a 7'10" wingspan.  We said Isaac was a long way away last year and look what we have one year later.   Our history of trading away future stars should frighten all of us.  

We may have the most patient and battle tested front office in our division

1 minute ago, Magicfan1987 said:

We may have the most patient and battle tested front office in our division

And that is a good thing...let's do it right instead of trying to do it quick....Absolutely need a better alternative at PG and SG to maximize the talents of BIG.  Fultz may have solved the one, Iwundu and hopefully Ross (not a fan of Fournier as the long term answer at SG but I will admit I could be proven wrong but I doubt it) can  help solidify the other.  That does not even address pulling in a FA.  FA of significance probably cannot be attracted here until after next season or the following season but could be enticed by then.  Sounds like that also may be what the FO thinks since they appear to want to resign both Ross and Vuc.