The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

Zach Lowe's latest article:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25995187/10-things-like-including-mvp-race-nba

4. Jonathan Isaac, showing flashes

It has become axiomatic that Aaron Gordon is not a wing, and that Orlando continuing to play him as one alongside both Isaac and Nikola Vucevic is stubborn folly. Against top defenses, that is probably true, and might remain so for years.

But this trio has been sneakily solid despite the Magic employing zero starting-caliber point guards to guide them. Orlando has outscored opponents by almost six points per 100 possessions with their ultra-big frontline, per NBA.com.

We know what Orlando wants defensively -- length, length, length -- and Isaac is going to be a multi-positional destroyer. They will rise and fall on the other end. The idea is that Gordon and Vucevic bring enough shooting and playmaking to open the floor. The execution is uneven, but you see flashes -- including the occasional use of Isaac as rim-runner:

Terrence Ross is on the floor there in Gordon's place. That matters. Gordon is shooting just 34 percent from deep. Defenses stray from him to bump cutters. But unlocking this part of Isaac's game is important. It hasn't been easy; Vucevic is Orlando's primary screener, and Gordon needs reps, too.

The Magic won't pry huge openings with all three on the floor; everyone has to get comfortable slicing through tight corridors. Isaac has been better over the past month attacking scrambled defenses off the catch:

He is averaging 14.5 points per game in February, the best scoring month of his career.

Isaac has hit just 29 percent from deep; until he proves a threat from there, smart defenders will just wait for him in the paint. But he's trying more 3s, and his stroke looks smoother.

I'm officially intrigued with what these guys might do if Orlando found a real point guard. Old-school size can work if it comes in a package of new-school skill. The Magic held onto Vucevic, signaling they are open to re-signing him. I'm in for Gordon-Isaac-Vucevic until Mohamed Bamba is ready.

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The last 11 games he played in he's shooting 69% from 3. 

Nice

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

Not related to anything but Kyle Kuzma had a horrendous take on XM this morning.  He was asked if it was hard to deal with the media attention in LA and he said (paraphrasing): 'I like it.  If you're not being talked about you're not doing it right.  I'd rather play for LA and get all bad publicity than play for Orlando and get no publicity.'

That's a pretty dumb view on its own not to mention a weird year to use us as an example when we're 2-0 vs. LAL.

That’s why character matters. Give me a humble and hungry dude who cares about winning versus a histrionic dude who plays for attention.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

That’s why character matters. Give me a humble and hungry dude who cares about winning versus a histrionic dude who plays for attention.

Yep, I agree 100%, I think Kuz has drank the LA Kool-Aid and now has this level of arrogance about him even though he hasn't done anything in his career. He's a solid player and obviously has the ability to break out for big numbers occasionally, but he won't do that on a nightly basis. I think Ingram has more of an upside than he does. 

2 hours ago, ML6 said:

Not related to anything but Kyle Kuzma had a horrendous take on XM this morning.  He was asked if it was hard to deal with the media attention in LA and he said (paraphrasing): 'I like it.  If you're not being talked about you're not doing it right.  I'd rather play for LA and get all bad publicity than play for Orlando and get no publicity.'

That's a pretty dumb view on its own not to mention a weird year to use us as an example when we're 2-0 vs. LAL.

God I wish we played them one more time just so we can go after Kuz.

5 minutes ago, Malik Buttface said:

God I wish we played them one more time just so we can go after Kuz.

We’ll have to wait until the finals.  

IS THIS ANYTHING? On feb 7th my granddaughter and her school mates sang the national anthem before the minn timber wolves game - since that time we are 5-0 and have outscored our opponents by a collective margin of 114 pts!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Notguilty said:

IS THIS ANYTHING? On feb 7th my granddaughter and her school mates sang the national anthem before the minn timber wolves game - since that time we are 5-0 and have outscored our opponents by a collective margin of 114 pts!

It is anything

7 hours ago, The Boss said:

Yeah but if we re-sign Vuc, Bamba is obviously the back-up, so how much would we be willing to match to keep him? And would he be happy to be 3rd string again if other teams tell him they'll play him 20+ mins a game?

Does Dedmon sound familiar?

5 hours ago, Catalina Maria said:

A big reason for this recent bench playing resurgence is Birch. Can we please just enjoy this before discussing letting go of a guy (Birch) and our current all star (Vuc) for theoreticals that are not impending decisions now with us playing some of the best Magic basketball since almost a decade?!?!?

Wasn’t that long ago that you were demanding the ouster of Vuc!! 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Notguilty said:

Does Dedmon sound familiar?

It doesn't really make sense to spend money on a third center when they're super cheap and easy to find.

If we can get Birch for like 4 million a year then it's probably worth keeping him but if he wants more than that then just go get some other guy. 

7 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It doesn't really make sense to spend money on a third center when they're super cheap and easy to find.

If we can get Birch for like 4 million a year then it's probably worth keeping him but if he wants more than that then just go get some other guy. 

I wouldn’t put it past Cliff WeltHam to look to trade Bamba attached with a guy for an upgrade and roll with a Vucevic/Birch Center tandem.