The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

Just now, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Yeah we definitely need more consistent shooting at the 2 spot. Are there any 2's in our range in the upcoming draft that you think are good enough to step in and start? 

Nope. 

Wondering if we can flip fournier and our pick for Gary Harris. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

With Mosgov and Augustin coming off the books after next year and Fournier the year after why in the world would you tie up any long term cap flexiblity on Vooch or Ross?  Also if Isaac and Fultz work out the way we hope we are going to have to pay them eventually.

Because Ross is good and it's smart team building. And his money wouldn't really impact us signing a big free agent. You're not going to add two max guys to Fultz, Isaac, Gordon, and Bamba. You're looking to add one max guy and one good bench scorer like Ross. 

Vuc I wouldn't. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Nope. 

Wondering if we can flip fournier and our pick for Gary Harris. 

Interesting. Don’t know if they’d want to take on Evan’s salary, but I think the Nuggets are ready to move on from Harris. Beasley is better and they could potentially start Monte at 1 and move Murray to the 2 as well

6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Because Ross is good and it's smart team building. And his money wouldn't really impact us signing a big free agent. You're not going to add two max guys to Fultz, Isaac, Gordon, and Bamba. You're looking to add one max guy and one good bench scorer like Ross. 

Vuc I wouldn't. 

I agree Vuc is a no go for me.  Ross makes sense if the money and years are right.  But to me it's not smart team building to secure your 28yo 6th man for the next 4 years if your main core is 20, 20, 21, and 23.

22 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think in May we'll give him 4/56 and that's at normal 6th man money. 

I like Ross but think about our roster construction.

If Fultz starts, DJ is the exact backup you'd want and briscoe is the exact third guy you'd want. He plays like Fultz. He plays differently than Augustin. He's young and cheap. 

Ross is the exact guy you want coming off the bench as a 6th man. Spree scorer. Shooter. 

Iwundu is the exact guy you want next to Ross. Defender. Versatile. Energy. 

Isaac, Gordon and Bamba are the long term building blocks.  

We're either going to keep vucevic or sign a cheap backup at center. 

Martin is theoretically what you want in his position as a 10th man. You either keep him or find a replica basically. 

The other spots are young or old guys that shouldn't expect to play. 

Fournier is the spot we need to find an upgrade. 

As usual, your assessment is spot on; I just hope you’re correct on what TRoss deems acceptable; perhaps the 4 year commitment will do it. I want him back. Good stuff!

32 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think in May we'll give him 4/56 and that's at normal 6th man money. 

I like Ross but think about our roster construction.

If Fultz starts, DJ is the exact backup you'd want and briscoe is the exact third guy you'd want. He plays like Fultz. He plays differently than Augustin. He's young and cheap. 

Ross is the exact guy you want coming off the bench as a 6th man. Spree scorer. Shooter. 

Iwundu is the exact guy you want next to Ross. Defender. Versatile. Energy. 

Isaac, Gordon and Bamba are the long term building blocks.  

We're either going to keep vucevic or sign a cheap backup at center. 

Martin is theoretically what you want in his position as a 10th man. You either keep him or find a replica basically. 

The other spots are young or old guys that shouldn't expect to play. 

Fournier is the spot we need to find an upgrade. 

I still think the move is Holiday if the Pelicans go full rebuild this offseason. Jrue can play both guard spots equally effectively. Fultz/Holiday/Isaac/Gordon/Vucevic (I’ve come to terms that he’ll be back)

Augustin/Ross/Iwundu/Bamba

we deal Fournier/Mozgov and a couple picks (including our 19) for Jrue and Jackson

5 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

I agree Vuc is a no go for me.  Ross makes sense if the money and years are right.  But to me it's not smart team building to secure your 28yo 6th man for the next 4 years if your main core is 20, 20, 21, and 23.

You don't want to surround a young core with more youth. You want to take that young core and put it in the best situation to succeed. Veteran players that play predictably and play their roles at a high level. An overrated part of roster construction is "timelines". You only care about timelines with your core. The rest of the spots are expendable guys you constantly look to upgrade. I want to resign Ross because I think he's the best player we can expect to fill that role for us and I think the 4 year deal would be the security he'd need to avoid free agency. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I still think the move is Holiday if the Pelicans go full rebuild this offseason. Jrue can play both guard spots equally effectively. Fultz/Holiday/Isaac/Gordon/Vucevic (I’ve come to terms that he’ll be back)

Augustin/Ross/Iwundu/Bamba

we deal Fournier/Mozgov and a couple picks (including our 19) for Jrue and Jackson

Why would you want Holiday?  He is going to need shot attemps  (17.1 currently 32% 3pt) and our young core is going to need shot attempts to continue their development.

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

You don't want to surround a young core with more youth. You want to take that young core and put it in the best situation to succeed. Veteran players that play predictably and play their roles at a high level. An overrated part of roster construction is "timelines". You only care about timelines with your core. The rest of the spots are expendable guys you constantly look to upgrade. I want to resign Ross because I think he's the best player we can expect to fill that role for us and I think the 4 year deal would be the security he'd need to avoid free agency. 

Well It's okay we disagree.  But I think it's going to be interesting to see with so many teams that have cap space how the market is going to work out for guys like Vuc and Ross.

9 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

Well It's okay we disagree.  But I think it's going to be interesting to see with so many teams that have cap space how the market is going to work out for guys like Vuc and Ross.

Consider Philly surrounding their youth with JJ, Butler, Tobias. Brooklyn surrounding their youth with Harris, Carroll, Dudley, Ed Davis. Minnesota with Teague, Rose, Gibson, Covington. Sacramento with bjelica, Barnes, Burks. Utah with basically the entire roster. 

The big problem with our initial rebuild was trying to take a roster with 11 players fighting for their spot in the league and putting them on the same team. Should have been 3-4 rotation guys plus another 3-4 end of bench guys with the rest veterans. 

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Consider Philly surrounding their youth with JJ, Butler, Tobias. Brooklyn surrounding their youth with Harris, Carroll, Dudley, Ed Davis. Minnesota with Teague, Rose, Gibson, Covington. Sacramento with bjelica, Barnes, Burks. Utah with basically the entire roster. 

The big problem with our initial rebuild was trying to take a roster with 11 players fighting for their spot in the league and putting them on the same team. Should have been 3-4 rotation guys plus another 3-4 end of bench guys with the rest veterans. 

Oh don't get me wrong I totally agree youth needs to be surrounded by quality professional veterans who are good influences.