The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

20 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Any stat geeks know how to look up pick and roll numbers? I've been messing around with the NBA stat site for 20 mins and can't find anything close to what I want. Someone posted a stat involving AG and his lack of pick and rolls a couple weeks ago and it peeked my interest. Looking back at our games I don't remember us running too many pick and rolls in general and I wanted to see where we rank in the league along with doing a deeper dive if I found anything interesting. I really hate how the NBA site navigates! Someone steer me in the right direction please!

Edit: Looks like Synergy may have this info but you have to pay for a subscription. Why are we paying for stats in 2019?!

@?4thewin any help?

Also just realized we can tag other posters apparently. Nice!

17 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

@?4thewin any help?

Also just realized we can tag other posters apparently. Nice!

The data was messed up so they just removed the links for the time being. I think they have a goal to get it back up after AS break

33 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The data was messed up so they just removed the links for the time being. I think they have a goal to get it back up after AS break

Thanks! I'll keep a look out. 

We are the #1 defensive team in the NBA in all our wins but the 28th defensive team in the NBA in all our losses.  We are literally a Jekyll and Hyde team.  But this means theres good in this team, if they played hard every night.  Our team must just be lazy. 

10 hours ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Any stat geeks know how to look up pick and roll numbers? I've been messing around with the NBA stat site for 20 mins and can't find anything close to what I want. Someone posted a stat involving AG and his lack of pick and rolls a couple weeks ago and it peeked my interest. Looking back at our games I don't remember us running too many pick and rolls in general and I wanted to see where we rank in the league along with doing a deeper dive if I found anything interesting. I really hate how the NBA site navigates! Someone steer me in the right direction please!

Edit: Looks like Synergy may have this info but you have to pay for a subscription. Why are we paying for stats in 2019?!

Just FYI- it should be "piqued my interest" not "peeked my interest".

And these companies ask for money because they are companies and want to be paid for their work. I think synergy specifically markets itself as for teams and journalists anyway. I don't think people like us are their target audience.

Other people who publish their numbers on-line either are doing it to try to prove their statistical models and ideas, angling for a job, or getting paid in some other way.

The Magic haven’t made the postseason since 2012, but they’re in position to push for a playoff spot this year. While their 20-27 record puts them just 11th in the Eastern Conference, they’re only 2.5 games removed from the No. 8 seed. And, as Josh Robbins of The Athletic details, Orlando’s veterans are feeling pressure to earn a top-eight spot or risk having the roster broken up in the offseason.

“We’re not stupid,” Evan Fournier said on Monday, per Robbins. “We know if we don’t make the playoffs this year, this is probably over for us as a team.”

As Robbins writes, after the Magic fell to 19-27 with Saturday’s loss to the Bucks, Nikola Vucevic conveyed to his teammates that there wasn’t much room for error if the club wants to reach the postseason. According to Fournier, Vucevic said that the Magic’s next three games – starting with last night’s win over the Hawks – “were basically our season” and that they needed to come out with some urgency.

“I just told the team that this is it,” Vucevic said. “These next couple of games we have to get some wins. Otherwise, it’s going to be very, very hard for us to achieve our goal to get to the playoffs. I just wanted to make sure that they understand that, that every game going forward for us is a big game. But it has to be done now.”

Fournier has another guaranteed season on his contract after this year, plus a player option for 2020/21, so he could return to the Magic even if the club shakes things up this summer. However, Vucevic and Terrence Ross will be unrestricted free agents, and if Orlando makes major changes, those changes might also involve trading a veteran like Fournier. For his part, the 26-year-old Frenchman says he and his veteran teammates are hoping this isn’t their final run with the Magic.

“We like it here,” Fournier said. “We like to play with each other. We’re starting to get better (as a team), and we’ve been struggling for so long here, we want to see the results. We’ve spent so many times and hours with the Magic. You want to see it work, you know? It’s like when you’re trying to make it work with your wife. You want to make it work. It’s not like you want to change wives. It’s the same thing (with the Magic). So, yeah, of course, we want to have great moments together.”

The Magic will look to build on Monday’s win with games against a pair of Eastern playoff hopefuls on tap for Wednesday (at Brooklyn) and Friday (vs. Washington).

the roster needs to be broken up (Vooch and Fournier) whether they make the playoffs or not this year

4 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Can't access twitter from work, what is up?

Nothing major. Found it funny. Magic and Rockets practicing in the same gym, same day in New York. 

They are playing each other in a few days.