The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

12 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

We really don't though. 4 of our top 8 are currently above average shooters. Fournier should be in that group but he's being impacted by that early year slump still. 

In December we're 12th in three point percentage and 12th in made threes per game. 

Shooting isn't really a problem. And over the past few games it's not the typical poor shooters that's causing any issues. Iwundu is at 50%, Gordon 40%, Isaac 38%. Vucevic is at 17%, Ross at 27%, Augustin at 33%.

I guess we disagree.  Statistics like this can be misleading, though, especially when looking at the big picture.  As a team, we are 27th out of 30 in offensive rating.  27th out of 30 in FG%.  And 25th out of 30 in TS%.  I think those numbers support my contention that this team needs more shooting.

And if statistics aren't enough, how about the many stretches we watch the team go through where they just can't score?

8 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I guess we disagree.  Statistics like this can be misleading, though, especially when looking at the big picture.  As a team, we are 27th out of 30 in offensive rating.  27th out of 30 in FG%.  And 25th out of 30 in TS%.  I think those numbers support my contention that this team needs more shooting.

And if statistics aren't enough, how about the many stretches we watch the team go through where they just can't score?

We're 23rd in fast break points, 30th in points from free throws, 27th in points in the paint. None of those things have much to do with three point shooting. 

Three point shooting is high variance. We're making 11 threes per game but missing 20. And instead of supplementing those threes with low variance buckets from fast breaks and shots at the rim we're also taking the 5th most shots in the league from mid-range. That's also a high variance area. 

That explains the long stretches of No offense. Because a quarter can look like this with us still hitting our numbers.

Made 3

Made 3

Made Mid-range jumper

Turnover

Missed 3

Missed 3

Missed mid 

Missed mid

Turnover

Missed 3

Missed mid

Turnover

Missed 3

Missed 3

Turnover

Made three

Made Mid range

That's still shooting 38% from 3 and 40% from mid range but not scoring for 12 straight possessions. 

Our shooting efficiency by zone is really similar to Indiana in terms of percentages, lacking free throws, and taking a lot of mid range shots. The main difference in our offenses is Indiana attempts 6 more shots in the restricted area. 

58 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Isaac has been extremely inconsistent. Meanwhile, it boggles my mind that people want to quickly trade Gordon because Isaac is a better prospect. Silly rabbits

Does anyone on this message board actually like VUC? Let me ask the question a little differently, does anyone on here want him to be our long time future center?

3 minutes ago, KRISH10 said:

Does anyone on this message board actually like VUC? Let me ask the question a little differently, does anyone on here want him to be our long time future center?

Had he led us close to the playoffs even once, maybe. Thus, my answer is no.