The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm not trying to be smart I'm just telling you draft picks aren't perpetually valuable. Especially late ones. Especially with teams that already have two early seconds which are arguably more valuable than the 26th pick. 

I agree but disagree. I see your point but you can always use Second rounder to select international players and let them develop outseas. 

Giving away second roundsers on a future deal is always more valueable than nothing. A lot of teams are depleted with picks(Like it happened  to Brooklin)  and second rounders are always of value. 

Or like you said, you can be  like the Sixers with a bunch of second rounders (they have like 6 picks last year :) ) and dont know what to do with them. I guess you can have them fight for roster spots. 

I still consider any pick at any position is always of value. 

44 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

I agree but disagree. I see your point but you can always use Second rounder to select international players and let them develop outseas. 

Giving away second roundsers on a future deal is always more valueable than nothing. A lot of teams are depleted with picks(Like it happened  to Brooklin)  and second rounders are always of value. 

Or like you said, you can be  like the Sixers with a bunch of second rounders (they have like 6 picks last year :) ) and dont know what to do with them. I guess you can have them fight for roster spots. 

Yeah but that'd be a pretty poor return for vucevic or Ross. 

39 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Ohhh I agree!! Vuc is a young player (Fultz, Ball, Tyus etc..) return guy or a first. 

Ross is a late first( Although, I consider early second round picks more valuable due to the level of talent and cap hold). But if we dont get young talent or A good PG back from Ross then I ride with him the rest if the season and try to sign him next year like I said in previous posts. 

39 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Ohhh I agree!! Vuc is a young player (Fultz, Ball, Tyus etc..) return guy or a first. 

Ross is a late first( Although, I consider early second round picks more valuable due to the level of talent and cap hold). But if we dont get young talent or A good PG back from Ross then I ride with him the rest if the season and try to sign him next year like I said in previous posts. 

14 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

There is a difference between "no value" and "diminishing value".

Lets say I have 10 roster spots that are filled with players under contract. I have 4 players with expiring contracts- 2 of which I would consider resigning in a vacuum.

I have late 3 first rounders that I have gotten through trades and 2 second rounders.

Most of my minutes that I have available will be allocated to the players already on my roster. What is the value of each successive pick to me?

Things I need to consider:

1. I have a limited number of roster spots. Even if my second rounders end up as stashed players, using all of my firsts basically locks me from being able to resign one of my guys, or from being able to go out and get a free agent.

2. I have a limited number of minutes available to be played in a year. So, some of my draft picks are going to get little to no playing time. A draft pick is obviously more valuable if the draft pick is able to play minutes. Just for an extreme example- Darko was drafted second in a loaded draft class. He played all of 400 or so minutes in his first two seasons. This pick could have been used better by the Pistons, but how much value was lost because the Pistons didn't really have any minutes to play him? The Pistons didn't really need him, and this pick was not very valuable to them. (I think the fact that they went to two straight finals, winning one, in Darko's first 2 seasons proves that). The value here would have been in the trade value of the pick before the draft- but you still need to find a trade partner in that scenario.

3. Players available. If I do not value the players available at the pick highly, the value of the pick- to me- declines. If this is a league wide sentiment, then the value declines further as it has lower trade value.

4. Salary concerns. Especially for 1st round picks, I need to consider how the salary due to a drafted player affects my overall salary structure. In this scenario, my first rounders are owed about $1.5 million each (based upon 2018 numbers and supposing I had exactly the last 3 picks) in their first year. Not a huge sum of money for an NBA team, but what if I otherwise had space to go after a max level free agent? What if the rookie pushes my team up over the luxury tax?

So, picks always have value. But the utilitarian value of each additional pick reduces to the point that having more picks is not always a good thing, especially as the value of the pick could be less than the value of another possible decision- but you become "locked" to that pick.

7 minutes ago, Catalina Maria said:

Vuc being traded to New Orleans. Involves us getting Caldwell Pope and another Laker. Davis is going to the Lakers. 

Where do you see this at?

32 minutes ago, Catalina Maria said:

Vuc being traded to New Orleans. Involves us getting Caldwell Pope and another Laker. Davis is going to the Lakers. 

Where are you seeing that? My understanding is that KCP can bot be traded til December 15.  You used the word “traded” like it already happened. Stop the nonesense.