The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

I'd love to keep Ross on a nice contract, I think that would outweigh most things we could get for him in a trade (barring our future PG).

Teams need guys like Ross. If we want to make the playoffs and continue to going forward we need a good bench. We would have a horrible record this season without him. Not to mention I think he is huge for this group off court too.

Something I wouldn't mind moving towards long term is trying to get that stud PG creator and scorer this team is crying out for (obviously), but then pairing him with a lock down 3 and D type guy to save cap space for a better bench and to pay BIG going forward. I think we can afford to have a non creator at SG if we get a stud PG and some more growth out of BIG, specifically Isaac, he's looking like he's developing a really nice offensive skill set.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Boss said:

I'd love to keep Ross on a nice contract, I think that would outweigh most things we could get for him in a trade (barring our future PG).

Teams need guys like Ross. If we want to make the playoffs and continue to going forward we need a good bench. We would have a horrible record this season without him. Not to mention I think he is huge for this group off court too.

Something I wouldn't mind moving towards long term is trying to get that stud PG creator and scorer this team is crying out for (obviously), but then pairing him with a lock down 3 and D type guy to save cap space for a better bench and to pay BIG going forward. I think we can afford to have a non creator at SG if we get a stud PG and some more growth out of BIG, specifically Isaac, he's looking like he's developing a really nice offensive skill set.

I love the way Isaac is trending.  But let's take a step back and look at this honestly.  We still don't have a superstar.  And history has shown you don't win in the NBA without a superstar.  And I am sorry nobody is realistically coming here in the summer of 19.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gordon MVP said:

I’d like to trade Fournier. Anything he brings at this point doesn’t outweigh his tremendous weaknesses.

Yeah I agree. I've personally disliked him since day one but I could live with him because he was one of our best performers, but now I just don't think he offers this group much at all. He seems to be lost with our offense (jacks up stupid long 3s) and defence, he just doesn't look like a fit anymore.

6 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

I love the way Isaac is trending.  But let's take a step back and look at this honestly.  We still don't have a superstar.  And history has shown you don't win in the NBA without a superstar.  And I am sorry nobody is realistically coming here in the summer of 19.

I agree that no one is coming here so that's why I'd like to use the cap space on someone useful like Ross.

How are we going to get our superstar? We can't tank anymore (not that I want to going forward). We need to hope one of BIG becomes one, or we get really lucky with a mid to late teens pick like the Bucks.

EDIT: Or become competitive in the playoffs and one of those almost superstar type players comes here thinking he could be the missing piece to a championship push. Ross helps a lot with this scenario.

2 minutes ago, The Boss said:

I agree that no one is coming here so that's why I'd like to use the cap space on someone useful like Ross.

How are we going to get our superstar? We can't tank anymore (not that I want to going forward). We need to hope one of BIG becomes one, or we get really lucky with a mid to late teens pick like the Bucks.

I am sorry I don't get the Ross love fest!  Not to put words in your mouth but it sounds like you have given up and happy to be habitual 6th seed for the next 10 years.  I am sorry i don't want that!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

I am sorry I don't get the Ross love fest!  Not to put words in your mouth but it sounds like you have given up and happy to be habitual 6th seed for the next 10 years.  I am sorry i don't want that!

The little pieces matter. Who's a better shooting guard we could bring in? There's not a lot of 14 points per game 39% three point percentage good defense guys out there. 

• Like 1

Ross is a good player just like Fournier is. Thats about it. Fournier can be frustating at time but he plays hard and does have talent. I agree that we should be trade him to another team he can excel. We might get something of value back.

Ross is a valuable expiring contract much more than JR Smith. I am sure a lot of teams will be giving some picks in exchange. If Cleveland was able to get a pick and Burcs from Utah, I am sure Ross can bring at least something similar. There is no rush in letting him go if the value is not there. I will not mind riding him all season a bringing him back next year to continue in our 6th man role. 

5 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Ross is a good player just like Fournier is. Thats about it. Fournier can be frustating at time but he plays hard and does have talent. I agree that we should be trade him to another team he can excel. We might get something of value back.

Ross is a valuable expiring contract much more than JR Smith. I am sure a lot of teams will be giving some picks in exchange. If Cleveland was able to get a pick and Burcs from Utah, I am sure Ross can bring at least something similar. There is no rush in letting him go if the value is not there. I will not mind riding him all season a bringing him back next year to continue in our 6th man role. 

We don't care about late picks. They have almost no value for us. 

13 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The little pieces matter. Who's a better shooting guard we could bring in? There's not a lot of 14 points per game 39% three point percentage good defense guys out there. 

Sorry you are looking at the small picture right in front of you but ignoring the big picture.  This current roster to compete for chips needs a superstar at the 2 or 3 postition and maybe both.   It's a loser mentality to tye your future to T Ross.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

We don't care about late picks. They have almost no value for us. 

You might no care, but I do. Any pick is an asset and any Asset is of value. If you are going to spend money

Cleveland got Alec Burks who is a decent talented player on a  friendly contract(expiring) AND  2 second round PICKs. The 2021 Washington pick is not likely going to be a late pick the way things looks and The 2020 Utah second round will likely be a mid round second round pick.

Hill got a future first and second round pick. Again, Valuable assests to either keep them or to use on another trade in the future.