The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

25 minutes ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

Finally logged myself back in here for the first time in a couple of years, everytime I want to speak my mind on the Magic's facebook pages they're mostly insane (except for you, Mauro!)...

But I looked at the Knicks box score to see if Mario was doing anything today... and it jumps out at me that Noah Vonleh seems to finally be showing some of what got people excited about him in 2014. Has he finally become underrated? He's still so young at 23!

Damn he’s only 23?? Feels like he should be like 28 lol I’m getting old man

12 minutes ago, WarDamnMagic said:

Damn he’s only 23?? Feels like he should be like 28 lol I’m getting old man

I know! 2014 seems like aeons ago with the way things have changed. I checked on his stats a couple of times and saw no signs of life but all of a sudden he seems at least mildly competent, rebounding and shooting 3's like people thought. He may end up having an interesting prime! Clearly we still made the right pick with Aaron though!

7 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

Finally logged myself back in here for the first time in a couple of years, everytime I want to speak my mind on the Magic's facebook pages they're mostly insane (except for you, Mauro!)... 

But I looked at the Knicks box score to see if Mario was doing anything today... and it jumps out at me that Noah Vonleh seems to finally be showing some of what got people excited about him in 2014. Has he finally become underrated? He's still so young at 23!

Haha, facebook might be even crazier than twitter

9 hours ago, alwaystragic said:

Why are metrics needed to judge a player ability? 

I have watched probably over 150 full games of him. I don’t need a rating to tell me what I saw.

i watched a guy who is not good defending the pick and roll, who gets bullied every time he is in the paint, who does not give the minimum effort in any hustle situation, who routinely lets his rival to have extremely effective nights.

he is really horrible on defense. 

You need to watch more basketball then because he's about average. 

Lowe leads off his "10 Things" this week with a nice blurb about Vooch.

He also has a section on John Wall's transition defense, and the clips he links are absolutely brutal. 

23 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Lowe leads off his "10 Things" this week with a nice blurb about Vooch.

He also has a section on John Wall's transition defense, and the clips he links are absolutely brutal. 

The Wiz rank among the league's leakiest transition defenses. They have the collective first step of a zombie team. In crawling from 2-9 to 11-14 since Nov. 10, they have been 19 points per 100 possessions better (!) with Wall on the bench, per NBA.com. That stat is obviously noisy. Wall has had a few mammoth games, including a 36-point, 11-assist masterpiece against Houston. But Wall's defense too often flat-lines, and that shows up in these numbers.

That is so crazy bad. I think the best move the Wiz can do is trade Wall, even if it means attaching an unprotected pick or taking on bad money. Dude seems toxic as a lead guy. Maybe NY or Chicago would bite?

55 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

That is so crazy bad. I think the best move the Wiz can do is trade Wall, even if it means attaching an unprotected pick or taking on bad money. Dude seems toxic as a lead guy. Maybe NY or Chicago would bite?

I'd like to see LeBron put on his GM hat and trade some young assets for Wall, then pick up Melo.

35 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I'd like to see LeBron put on his GM hat and trade some young assets for Wall, then pick up Melo.

And trade us Ball in a 3 way.

1 hour ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

They also should have signed Joakim Noah and picked up Isaiah thomas while they were at it.  Great team chemistry in the making.  

Which is where second-year player Dennis Smith Jr. comes in. The Dallas Mavericks’ floor general is finding life more difficult this season with the arrival of a supposed franchise savior, Luka Doncic. There’s no question Smith is a talented young player, but there’s reason to think that a trade between the Mavericks and Magic could suit both parties.

If the Magic sent Ross, Augustin (who will have one year left on his deal after this one) and a draft pick in exchange for Matthews and Smith, would that get it done?

Alternatively, Orlando could send Ross and Vucevic, in theory two expiring deals but two players which could be re-signed at a fair price. In Vucevic’s case, it’d certainly take less than the $24 million Jordan is making this season.

With all of these expiring deals flying about, it would reasonable for the Mavericks to expect something more substantial in the deal. Could the Magic part with a first round pick for this season or next?

It is a lot to ask, but with Orlando attempting to make the playoffs themselves, that pick could fall outside of the lottery. Certainly they hope that it would. The same will also hopefully be true of the 2020 pick.

https://hoopshabit.com/2018/12/07/orlando-magic-imagining-dennis-smith-jr-trade/