The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

Just now, Mauro Pedrosa said:

The Warriors are very beatable without Curry and Green. Let's capitalize

Yep. Best chance to beat them.

Is anyone else surprised by the current standings this year? We are 20 games in and I don't think the standings in either conference look anything like what anyone expected.

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Draft picks. 

You also have to remember that Russell and dinwiddie are going to hurt their cap space next year through cap holds. 

We also could take one of their bad contracts back 

They don't have any really bad contracts left after this season. Crabbe, Carroll, and Fareid all expire this year. They only have a couple of guys who are under contract past this year. I'm not even 100% convinced that Russell and Dinwiddie aren't just two guys putting up good numbers on a bad team; though I will admit I haven't seen a lot of Brooklyn's games this year. Russell last year reminded me of Elfrid Payton - a few games of great play, making you think he is finally putting it together; and then weeks of bone-headedness to make you think he'll never get it. 

17 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

They don't have any really bad contracts left after this season. Crabbe, Carroll, and Fareid all expire this year. They only have a couple of guys who are under contract past this year. I'm not even 100% convinced that Russell and Dinwiddie aren't just two guys putting up good numbers on a bad team; though I will admit I haven't seen a lot of Brooklyn's games this year. Russell last year reminded me of Elfrid Payton - a few games of great play, making you think he is finally putting it together; and then weeks of bone-headedness to make you think he'll never get it. 

I think Crabbe is opting in to his player option. 

4 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

The only way I'd keep him is in a scenario where you resign him for a year and basically roll over our cap room for a year. 

He's really important now because he's handling our offensive playmaking and his offense is so good that it's covering his bad defensive games. 

But a good point guard is going to siphon off his positive value and continued offensive improvement from Isaac, Gordon, and Fournier is going to make vucevic's offense less of a necessity. 

We're probably going to run into a scenario where vucevic isn't as important to a lineup as a good defensive center. But at the same time he's being set up again to believe he's one of the best centers in the league. He's not going to happily take a bench role. And a resigned vucevic is going to be tough to move again just like he was for the past 3 years. 

Great point on one year deal which many teams are doing.  Continued offensive improvement for Isaac, Gordon, and even Bamba easy to see happening.  But I am real concerned about Fournier.  20 games in and I am seeing NO improvement, almost going the other way. I am sure you have the stats but I have to believe he is at the bottom of stats for starting 2's in the league.  Ross, on the other hand, (and he is in the final year of his contract), put in the hard work during the offseason (based on reports) and it shows.  But I love our second unit and what it does.  Hope Fournier turns it around and soon.  If not perhaps Simmons could start, or maybe Fultz?????

23 minutes ago, Bauncey Chillups said:

He's doing that on 28 mpg, he's a 20 PPG scorer if he gets starter minutes.

I'm not sure starters minutes are 36 mpg anymore. Most guys are playing 32ish. 

But beyond that I'm not sure the market is going to support dinwiddie at 28 million per year when he's unrestricted so you don't need to overpay for him and there's enough other options at significantly less money to suppress his market value. 

But who knows. The Lakers paying Mozgov a max contract set off a chain reaction where every center got paid so maybe something like that happens next year with point guards. 

5 hours ago, Odin said:

Yep. Best chance to beat them.

Is anyone else surprised by the current standings this year? We are 20 games in and I don't think the standings in either conference look anything like what anyone expected.

Yeah, it definetly feels more like a typical week 1 of the season rather than the quarter mark.

I'm really happy with our teams record and I'd say it comes down to Coach Clifford and our team's health more than anything.

58 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Maybe why it looks like Bamba isn't doing much sometimes. 

He's super exciting as a weak side shot blocker. He' still getting muscled out of position and probably will for at least another 1.5 years until he grows into his frame but the psychology from Gobert, that's really rough especially coming from a guy who doesn't provide much outside of defense.