The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

said Evan Fournier, a teammate of Vucevic’s for five seasons. ``He’s the focal point of our offense and we run a lot of sets through him. With pick-and-rolls, hand-offs and post-ups, he’s the only inside guy that we have, and we want to play inside-out. He has the ball a lot, he makes good decisions and he’s making threes right now. So, perfecto!’’

Only inside guy? Bamba no? Bit weird... maybe he just meant as in ready to play that way

I think he is talking about in back to the basket play. Bamba is more of a rim runner type player.

25 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Also, don't fall for the "John Wall is actually bad" discussion. He's good. He's just probably the 18th best player in the league but being paid like he's LeBron. If he was making Mike Conley money it'd be easier to reckon with his poor leadership and locker room issues. 

John Wall is good, but he has definite flaws that need to be reckoned with when discussing if he would be a good fit.

I ran the numbers and you're not looking at crazy money if we did something like Augustin, Simmons, and our pick for Wall. 

The problem is you're really committing to wall-Fournier-Isaac-Gordon-Bamba + Ross through 2022. That's nice on paper but if Gordon blows out his knee or something else doesn't work well you have no real options to pivot to something else for a looooong time. 

Vuch getting some love from the National Media:

Hype: Nikola Vucevic

The case for Vucevic being an All-Star—you read that right—benefits from a couple of different trends: Yet another superstar left the Eastern Conference this offseason, there’s less defense being played across the league this season and, as a result, more possessions on the other end. For a skilled scorer like Vucevic with a poor defensive reputation, the time to leap to All-Star status has never been better.

Yet Vuc is averaging 10.8 rebounds and has the fourth-best defensive rating on the Magic—ask Joel Embiid, who he bettered on both ends in a recent win over the Sixers. Granted, the team allows 107.1 points per 100 possessions with him on the court, but that’s more average than it is abominable this season. His defense won’t make or break an All-Star bid, but it’s contributing to a more relevant part of an All-Star application, Orlando’s record. Vucevic deserves a great deal of credit for the Magic’s 9-8 record; his playmaking from the center position has been crucial in the team’s effort to move the ball more. The Magic assist by committee—D.J. Augustin and Evan Fournier average less than 10 dimes between them, while Vucevic averages the third-most at 3.6 per game.

Meanwhile, the offense Vucevic is known for is at top strength: He’s shooting a career-high 45.2 percent from deep, and over the past three games (wins over Philadelphia, L.A., and New York), he’s made half of his 14 shots from beyond the arc, averaged 31.3 points, and shot 61.4 percent from the field.

Hype: 6/10

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/11/19/18103284/hype-concern-kevin-durant-lebron-james-deaaron-fox

2 hours ago, Odin said:

Lol, since when was Kemba a new generation PG? He is the same age as Wall.

Hes more effective than John wall which So I'd place him in the new generation even though hes been around for a while.  Have you heard of him being a cancer?  I havent.  

2 minutes ago, ~O~ said:

Hes more effective than John wall which So I'd place him in the new generation even though hes been around for a while.  Have you heard of him being a cancer?  I havent.  

What does any of that have to do with what generation he's in?

18 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

What does any of that have to do with what generation he's in?

Basketball is played rather differently now.  My premise is that I want a point guard that is effective in modern basketball; this generation of basketball.  Wall is not getting **** done and has stagnated.  Blame it on his situation or his attitude.  I just want someone that is getting things done and making noise in the league.  It's simple as that. 

4 hours ago, Magicpassion said:

I concur, we need a young point to grow with our core. We are looking pretty good as of late. We need to focus on our rebounds. I can’t understand why we are losing the battle of the boards with all the length we have.

We take a lot of threes with nobody in the paint at all which is why we get out-rebounded.