The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

7 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

For nothing? A top 8 PG. Lol

Wall when he is dialed in is near impossible to stop

Horrible contract that strangles us for years.  Injury history.  Motivation comes and goes.  Bad attitude most of the time.  Most of his teammates dislike him or throw shade at him (see last year's Wizards during his injury).  Doesn't really emphasize our team's strengths due to his need to have the ball at all times.  Only getting older so his main strength -- quickness -- will dissipate.  Not a very good shooter.

Any team that gets this guy realistically  cannot change their roster to any appreciable degree during the length of his contract.  It is that restricting.  So trading for him says "I am sure that my team is exactly one John Wall and nothing more away from contention".

If the hypothetical is "take Wall for free" or "pass on Wall and take whatever becomes logical from the field", I'd take the field.

Just now, Malik Buttface said:

Do we think that the Lakers make an offer to Washington for either of the two? Ball, Hart and a pick for Wall?

I don’t think they do. They want to keep money and assets for 2 of AD, KD, kemba, and Thompson I think

2 minutes ago, WarDamnMagic said:

I don’t think they do. They want to keep money and assets for 2 of AD, KD, kemba, and Thompson I think

I can't see Thompson doing it especially after how he said he would take a pay cut to stay with the team. Kemba is an interesting FA prospect, I think KD goes somewhere for him to be "The Guy" and AD is another one who I have no clue what they'll do. I've heard Boston wants him badly but then again every team will pitch him offers. I forget where I heard it from, might've been on Bill Simmon's podcast but there was a poll that resulted in not a lot of guys wanting to play with Lebron. What the Lakers do for the trade deadline and FA will be something to watch.

Besides Wall's contract, he has a few other issues that should make GMs hesitant to trade for him:

1. Laziness. For all his athletic talents, Wall can be lazy on both ends of the court, playing lazy defense or not moving without the ball in his hands.

2. Shooting. Wall has never been a consistent shooter. Last year was his best at 37% from 3, but he is a career 33% 3 point shooter and he is right around those numbers.

3. Athleticism. His game is built around his athleticism and passing- how will it survive in the later years of his contract?

4. Injuries. While not the most injury prone player, he has had a number of injuries to his knees.

5. Attitude. Wall is not a leader and often seems to have a poor attitude, feuding with multiple teammates and just generally having a surly disposition.

27 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

For nothing? A top 8 PG. Lol

Wall when he is dialed in is near impossible to stop

If he's so impossible to stop, why has Washington underperformed so often?

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He doesn't like that franchise. Who knows. Who cares. Lol. I hear you though. End of the day he'd be a MASSIVE upgrade. Doubt we stay away from the plan anyway. 

It's not so much that wall isn't a top 10 point guard. 

It's that is Wall as the 9th best point guard so much better than the 14th best point guard that it's smart to invest a crippling amount of money in him?

[Insert your favorite young point guard here] will make 1/3 the price of wall. 

And Wall, though a better passer than Westbrook, regularly spends the most time with the ball in his hands in the league. I'm not sure that's a feasible way to run an NBA offense anymore. It works well when you're picking on a specific matchup (we've witnessed that) but I'm not sure it's viable as the standard. 

8 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It's not so much that wall isn't a top 10 point guard. 

It's that is Wall as the 9th best point guard so much better than the 14th best point guard that it's smart to invest a crippling amount of money in him?

[Insert your favorite young point guard here] will make 1/3 the price of wall. 

And Wall, though a better passer than Westbrook, regularly spends the most time with the ball in his hands in the league. I'm not sure that's a feasible way to run an NBA offense anymore. It works well when you're picking on a specific matchup (we've witnessed that) but I'm not sure it's viable as the standard. 

Your ideal realistic PG for us moving forward who would you want?

17 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think Washington's woes come from player compatibility. You can see that they don't want to play with each other out there. A team isn't going to win a lot of games if their chemistry is being compromised.