The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

If Vuc continues to play like this, what are we going to do? He's clearly a starting caliber center (if he keeps the D up), so we can't propose to relegate him to the 'Kanter' role once Bamba is ready to take over. He won't be ready til at least the start of next season I'd think though.

There's a risk giving Vuc multiple years because if his D fades then we're gonna be stuck with the problem we've been wanting to get rid of for years. History shows that in the past he has started seasons with a lot of effort on D but then faded, that might happen again or maybe Clifford has changed something for him.

The other problem is that there is no way Bamba and him can start long term so we'd have to commit to one or the other and I'd assume the FO would want to go with Bamba (like the rest of us).

I think playing him in a 'Kanter' role would cost too much money and more importantly, if Vuc isn't on board with it (and I don't think he would be) there could be major chemistry and locker room issues going forward. So I think we should explore trades while his value is so high and hope to get a contributing player back and hope that Mo, Birch and Moz can handle the center duties.

2 minutes ago, The Boss said:

If Vuc continues to play like this, what are we going to do? He's clearly a starting caliber center (if he keeps the D up), so we can't propose to relegate him to the 'Kanter' role once Bamba is ready to take over. He won't be ready til at least the start of next season I'd think though.

There's a risk giving Vuc multiple years because if his D fades then we're gonna be stuck with the problem we've been wanting to get rid of for years. History shows that in the past he has started seasons with a lot of effort on D but then faded, that might happen again or maybe Clifford has changed something for him.

The other problem is that there is no way Bamba and him can start long term so we'd have to commit to one or the other and I'd assume the FO would want to go with Bamba (like the rest of us).

I think playing him in a 'Kanter' role would cost too much money and more importantly, if Vuc isn't on board with it (and I don't think he would be) there could be major chemistry and locker room issues going forward. So I think we should explore trades while his value is so high and hope to get a contributing player back and hope that Mo, Birch and Moz can handle the center duties.

You continue to listen to offers. If nobody blows you away with a deal and we're winning games you just hold onto him until the summer and let him walk. 

But some team might get desperate and give us more than we'd imagine

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

You continue to listen to offers. If nobody blows you away with a deal and we're winning games you just hold onto him until the summer and let him walk. 

But some team might get desperate and give us more than we'd imagine

Yeah I think that sounds like a solid plan.

Do you think our FO has any desire to re-sign him? I'd imagine Clifford would want to keep him, that might not mean anything to them though.

1 hour ago, The Boss said:

Can't believe it wasn't initially called a block, he clearly hit the ball and caused him to fall short on the certain dunk. It's funny that also on twitter people saying the rim blocked him, I think maybe it's just funnier for them if they say that.

Whatever, it was an incredible block and we probably don't go on to win without it. If Embiid threw down that monster dunk on him imagine the momentum and confidence Philly would have got from it, instead JI saved 2 points and gave us a huge confidence boost and allowed our momentum to continue with the huge 3 pointer down the other end, 5 point play!

Oh we for sure don’t win without that block. That was the moment that changed the game. Like you said if he throws that down on Issac it shift momentum completely the other way. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Ahem

Monte’s been great and I think Malone was just trying to shake things up. Murray had been super quiet this season outside of the huge Boston game. Really curious to see what happens when IT comes back because Monte has been better than anyone expected

Maaan Jamal Murray would be so perfect here, thought for sure he'd be untouchable. 

What could we possibly have to offer though?

With Ross almost 20 games into the final year of a three-year, $33 million deal he signed back in Toronto two things are clear: Terrance Ross is going to get a new contract, and it’s probably not going to be from the Magic.

Regardless of how successful he’s been in the Magic Kingdom, I highly doubt Ross is going to want to spend the last few years of his prime on a team destined for an early April vacation. If the money is even close, Ross will likely be gone to a contender looking for an auxiliary wing, and the Magic will watch him walk for nothing; why not trade him and get some extra value before leaves for free?

At this point, it would be incredibly hard for the Magic not to play Ross, as he’s their fourth-leading scorer, but that too is a double-edged sword, as the team should instead be focused on developing young talent, and securing a Duke scorer atop the 2019 NBA Draft.

Right now, Ross is helping the Magic win games, which may actually be a problem.

While trading Ross wouldn’t bode particularly well for the Magic fan’s hopes of making a run at an Eastern Conference eight seed, a dream that’s albeit very, very ambitious to say the least, it could help to open up additional minutes for players like Wesley IwunduJerian Grant, and Melvin Frazier moving forward.

Oh yeah, and it could make the 76ers much, much better.

Much like Marco Belinelli‘s addition last season, Ross could become ‘The Dude’ off the bench willing to make those crazy, acrobatic jump shots from all over the court, regardless of how it affects his shooting percentage. Right now, his 13.9 points per game would rank fourth on the team behind only Embiid, Redick, Ben Simmons, and recently traded for guard/forward Jimmy Butler.

And his 39.3 shooting percentage from 3 would be third on the team behind Wilson Chandler (10 shots) and a surprisingly effective Furkan Korkmaz.

Now granted, would Ross effectively fill Belinelli’s shoes a defensive liability on the wings? More or less, but with great defenders like Chandler, Butler, Embiid, Simmons, Jonah Bolden, and Amir Johnson peppered all over the roster, that’s a whole lot easier to cover up than it was last season.

Should the Sixers trade a player like T.J. McConnell or recently acquired big man Justin Patton for Ross’ services? No way. But would the Magic entertain a package of multiple second rounds picks and maybe a stashed player like the aforementioned Anžejs Pasečņiks? That could be incredibly enticing for both parties, and allow the Philadelphia 76ers to do some serious damage with that 15th roster spot just like Elton Brand desires.

https://section215.com/2018/11/15/philadelphia-76ers-trade-terrence-ross

#delusionalphillyhomer

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I really like how certain roles have developed under Clifford. Iwundu is looking like a legit 3 and D guy, while Ross has taken on the 6th man role. The only guy looking like he’s really pressing is Fournier. Ultimately, he’s the guy I think we could end up trading.