The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

I am not a Terry Rozier fan,  but what other PG do I have to look to get? 

Kemba is nice but his age doesnt fit our core.

Let's say we trade for Butler. After the season he wants to leave us. Are we able to sign and trade him (sign him for 5 years and trade him to the Lakers for Ball)?

22 minutes ago, matthi32 said:

Let's say we trade for Butler. After the season he wants to leave us. Are we able to sign and trade him (sign him for 5 years and trade him to the Lakers for Ball)?

Yes but the advantages for a sign and trade don't really exist anymore. So Butler would just sign with the Lakers without needing the sign and trade

4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Rozier rumors are heating up

I’m not sold on Rozier but I’d be happy and optimistic if we traded for him. 

12 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yes but the advantages for a sign and trade don't really exist anymore. So Butler would just sign with the Lakers without needing the sign and trade

But we would be the only team that can offer him the extra 5th year right?

Just now, matthi32 said:

But we would be the only team that can offer him the extra 5th year right?

They closed that loophole. You can't get the full home team perks in a sign and trade

Thoughts on the NBA season so far:

1) I'm haven't been really disappointed with our team so far, but I'm only seeing highlights so maybe there is more there to worry about than I know. I like the fight against Cleveland and the surprising wins against the Spurs/Celtics. 

2) I'm worried about Isaac. I feel like he could be another Greg Oden: lots of talent, just can't stay healthy. I hope I'm wrong but man its hard to see him already missing games so early this year. 

3) I'm not sure what kind of moves we can make, but man this team needs a few vets that can still ball. I would love to jump in on the Jimmy Butler train, but I don't think we'd have a package to entice Minn enough to get him. Nothing we can offer is better than four 1st round picks that Houston offered. But I would love to see us get one or two guys who see the potential in a healthy Isaac, Gordon, Bamba combo. I guess the smart play is to go after Spencer Dinwiddie instead of overpaying for Rozier/Russell. Or Malcom Brogdon anyone?

I'm tired of having a semi-decent starting 5 with a really shallow bench. Of course if either of those were corrected, we wouldn't be in the lottery every year, but that's the struggle of being a "consistently" rebuilding team. 

I'd want to trade Vuc, Ross, DJ, Fournier for the best player(s) possible.

I'd want to keep Gordon, Isaac, Bamba, Simmons. I think Grant, Birch could be nice bench pieces.

I'd want to cut Mozgov, Martin.

I don't think we know what we have with Iwundu, Frazier, or Briscoe yet, depending on how they develop. I don't see Briscoe making it on this team unless he just starts outplaying DJ. 

I think a lot of the problem for the Magic is perception. We have been seen as a flailing and failing franchise ever since Dwight left. We cobbled together some nice draft picks (Dipo/Harris/Gordon) but then got ancy and traded 2 of them away for nothing. We're trying to rebuild again but the problem is that we are clinging to an old mindset. We have 8 players who are technically PF/C on the roster. The NBA has moved toward guard play and small ball, but it seems like we're trying to make big ball still work.

I would love to see the Magic go after guys like

- Dinwiddie or Brogdon or Vince or Justin Holiday or even Tobias if he came back on the right contract

- Then we HAVE to address the point guard/shooting guard position in this draft. Even if we trade/sign one, we need depth at that position because that is the style of play the NBA is going to. 

The way I see it, because we haven't been in a place to financially grab top tier guys and we haven't been winning enough to attract those type of players. We are asking the 2nd or 3rd tier guys to play up and hope that our draft picks develop well. With 15 guys on a roster, every roster will have your top tier, 2nd, 3rd. It seems like for years we have just been putting together a team of 2nd - 3rd tier guys and asking them to become 1st tier guys. So someone tell me the strategy for us moving forward? What is our long term plan for going from the bottom to even a playoff team...not even thinking about contender right now. 

4 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I’m not sold on Rozier but I’d be happy and optimistic if we traded for him. 

I'm not either. I just watched every assist he's made since the beginning of the playoffs. Only about 6 were "point guard" type passes. But I think he's a better passer than DJ. He's a good but not elite defender. He's a good but not elite shooter and scorer. 

I'm a fan of getting him as he's good enough at the point guard parts of his job that having another two way player is valuable. He's not going to be a savior but he's something between "what if Kris Dunn could shoot" on the downside and "next Jrue Holiday" as an upside with "better shooting Reggie Jackson" as a reasonable expectation. 

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm not either. I just watched every assist he's made since the beginning of the playoffs. Only about 6 were "point guard" type passes. But I think he's a better passer than DJ. He's a good but not elite defender. He's a good but not elite shooter and scorer. 

I'm a fan of getting him as he's good enough at the point guard parts of his job that having another two way player is valuable. He's not going to be a savior but he's something between "what if Kris Dunn could shoot" on the downside and "next Jrue Holiday" as an upside with "better shooting Reggie Jackson" as a reasonable expectation. 

a good defender can be considered elite from the magic point of view, as our guards D game has been awful the last 15 years.