The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

17 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Just stop. Lol oh what coulda been. 

I’m not even mad. I really don’t think Dipo was ever becoming the player he is today if he stayed in Orlando. He pretty much said as much. He learned a ton about what it takes to win and actually putting in real work with Westbrook. 

Im happy for him. Glad he got to leave and become something. 

3 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

Mo has a really nice jump shot. Would love to see him take more mid-range jumpers like that one he drained lastnight. The 3’s are nice too but he could kill that elbow jumper like AD does.

Elbow jumpers are bad shots. Rather he take the 3's or short 2's.

Figured someone posted about Dipo. It’s nothing to get upset about; he changed A LOT when he went OKC then IND. you need to fail a few times like that and then you put it together. He was never going to do that here. 

He’ll be a FA soon and that’s someone I would give a max contract to if everything else falls into place. 

Let‘s have a look at the options our management have:

1. Stay with the players we have and hope they find out how to win some games. Miss the playoffs for another year. Then try to draft a gamechanger and hope for a better season next year. Maybe we could sign a good free agent. But which player wants to come to the Magic who missed the playoffs for such a long periode? That means we have to overpay for a 2nd tier player (like Rozier).

2. Try to fix our holes with players on short contracts. So maybe we could make the playoffs and stay flexible in the offseason. In this case I could see us trade for players like Rubio, Brogdon, Butler, Hill (Cavs), Russel etc.

3. Take the risk and trade for players on larger contracts. In that case we should make the playoffs. On the other hand we lose our flexibility in the offseason. First player that comes to my mind is Wall. I think he is exactly the player we need. But his contract is....

Out of this 3 option I would choose nr. 2. Try to get a PG and if possible upgrade our SG. First I would offer Fournier and Augustin for Rubio an Sefolosha. Then offer the Kings Vuc and Simmons or Ross and the OKC-Pick for Bogdanovic and Koufos (http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yc5afg7q).

Rubio/Grant

Bogdanovic/Ross or Simmons

Isaac/Sefolosha/Ross or Simmons

Gordon/Martin

Koufos/Bamba

Good roster for this season with a lot of options in the offseason!

11 hours ago, J-Mac said:

So is Trae Young a bust or.....

He's exactly what you thought he'd be based on whatever you thought he'd be in the draft. If you're a Trae Young fan these games are flashes of what he'll become. If you didn't like Trae Young these games are the exception between several inefficient or ineffective games in a row. Nothing that has happened so far should change how you feel about him. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

He's exactly what you thought he'd be based on whatever you thought he'd be in the draft. If you're a Trae Young fan these games are flashes of what he'll become. If you didn't like Trae Young these games are the exception between several inefficient or ineffective games in a row. Nothing that has happened so far should change how you feel about him. 

Idk what you mean when you say several inefficient or ineffective games in a row. A couple of border line allstars/all stars have this same issue. Unless your a superstar your gonna have this issue. My thing is some people didn't give him a chance and thought he would be a bust or a 6th man @ best. Its still early but those people look wrong right now this guys court vision is something and he's only 20.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, J-Mac said:

Idk what you mean when you say several inefficient or ineffective games in a row. A couple of border line allstars/all stars have this same issue. Unless your a superstar your gonna have this issue. My thing is some people didn't give him a chance and thought he would be a bust or a 6th man @ best. Its still early but those people look wrong right now this guys court vision is something and he's only 20.

Well after his big game he had a 3 game stretch where he averaged 14ppg 5.7 assists and 3.3 turnovers on 29.7/13.3/77.3 shooting. The two games after that he shot well in games that Atlanta lost by a combined 53 points. Last night was good. 

The anti- Trae argument was "he'll put up numbers but it's going to be ineffective against good teams with good defensive plans. So he might not be a guy you want to draft early if there's a ceiling on his viability as a point guard. He might make more sense as a 6th man."

So far I don't think he's challenged that perception. He's played against three good defensive point guards so far this year, Fox, Fultz, and Ntilikina and they wrecked him. 40/16 shooting splits. Only attempted 7 free throws during those 3 games. More turnovers (17) than made field goals (16).

You don't draft scorers in the top 5 to score on Rodney mcgruder or a team playing so poorly that they fired their coach 6 games into the season. You draft scorers that early because you think they can score on everyone. 

Now you'll respond that it's 9 games into his career and it's pointless to make conclusions about his game and that's true. But my original point was "nothing he's done so far should change what you think about Trae (optimist or pessimist)" because he's performed exactly as everyone would expect so far. 

45 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Well after his big game he had a 3 game stretch where he averaged 14ppg 5.7 assists and 3.3 turnovers on 29.7/13.3/77.3 shooting. The two games after that he shot well in games that Atlanta lost by a combined 53 points. Last night was good. 

The anti- Trae argument was "he'll put up numbers but it's going to be ineffective against good teams with good defensive plans. So he might not be a guy you want to draft early if there's a ceiling on his viability as a point guard. He might make more sense as a 6th man."

Sounds like Lowry/DeRozan,AG, and I don't watch much wolves basketball but from what I've seen Wiggins and KAT have this same issue. Puts up numbers until they face good defensive plans. Trae is no franchise player in my opinion but definitely worth being a top pick depending how deep the draft, and for for last year's draft definitely worth being picked early. I'm not sure what his ceiling is but his passing was always what caught my attention. His vision and passing ability is definitely there. Even John Wall was T/O prone coming in. Franchise player I don't see it, but to say he makes more sense as a sixth man I disagree but it's early. I think he's border line all-star/all-star type player. 15 ast already 9 games in and Kyrie's career high is like 14 I think. I think Trae's Vision makes him special.

12 minutes ago, J-Mac said:

Sounds like Lowry/DeRozan,AG, and I don't watch much wolves basketball but from what I've seen Wiggins and KAT have this same issue. Puts up numbers until they face good defensive plans. Trae is no franchise player in my opinion but definitely worth being a top pick depending how deep the draft, and for for last year's draft definitely worth being picked early. I'm not sure what his ceiling is but his passing was always what caught my attention. His vision and passing ability is definitely there. Even John Wall was T/O prone coming in. Franchise player I don't see it, but to say he makes more sense as a sixth man I disagree but it's early. I think he's border line all-star/all-star type player. 15 ast already 9 games in and Kyrie's career high is like 14 I think. I think Trae's Vision makes him special.

Ramon sessions averaged 13 assists per game his first 7 starts his rookie year. You can be a great passer but not a starter. 

16 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Ramon sessions averaged 13 assists per game his first 7 starts his rookie year. You can be a great passer but not a starter. 

We're not about to compare Trae young to a guy who did 3 yrs in college and was drafted 56 overall and couldn't shoot to save his life coming into the league, and wasn't tj Ford still on the team (probably injured). Trae Young definitely has an offensive game I just think his passing is his best skill. So definitely a starter, but still early we'll see.