The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

D.J. Augustin is the only point guard that the Suns would have any interest in on the Magic, and there could be a path to acquiring him – plus a solid reason to as well.

The Orlando Magic stink. They’re rebuilding and at the moment couldn’t even compete for a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference where some really good college teams could probably contend.

They are still tanking as they have way too many holes that they need filled, and like Phoenix, probably won’t be able to dip into the free agency well too deeply to fill such holes.

If the Magic would be willing to listen, D.J. Augustin would be a very good pick up for the rest of this season and next. He is a 30-year-old veteran in the Ricky Rubio mold, a decent scorer and a good outside shooter who is much better at running the offense than any point guard in Phoenix at the moment.

You’d hate to give up any picks for a short-term fill-in, but he would be one of the better ones for now. Would the Milwaukee pick and one of Phoenix’s backup point guards be enough for the tanking Orlando Magic?

That Bucks pick would help Orlando in the rebuild while not killing the Suns’ short-term chances, while the Magic would still need a point guard.

It’s not the best solution, but it’s also not the absolute worst.

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2018/10/30/rumors-how-the-phoenix-suns-can-acquire-a-southeast-division-starting-point-guard/5/

Let the vet selloff begin...

Not sure if this has been discussed yet but has anyone else noticed that Clifford has refused to play BIG together? I think I've seen them play 1 minute and then Isaac got subbed out... Seems like a planned decision. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KRISH10 said:

Not sure if this has been discussed yet but has anyone else noticed that Clifford has refused to play BIG together? I think I've seen them play 1 minute and then Isaac got subbed out... Seems like a planned decision. 

It's not planned in the sense that they say "let's not play Gordon, Isaac, and Bamba together". It's planned in the sense that Gordon and Isaac only play together at the beginning and end of each half while Bamba plays in the middle due to rotation issues. It's difficult to play all three together because Gordon is the power forward in the backup lineups and Isaac is predominantly attached to vucevic (for scoring issues?). 

49 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It's not planned in the sense that they say "let's not play Gordon, Isaac, and Bamba together". It's planned in the sense that Gordon and Isaac only play together at the beginning and end of each half while Bamba plays in the middle due to rotation issues. It's difficult to play all three together because Gordon is the power forward in the backup lineups and Isaac is predominantly attached to vucevic (for scoring issues?). 

I get that but does anyone honestly believe VUC will still be here past the trade deadline? I dont so I would think it would be important to get them some playing time together to build chemistry. Bamba might not be ready to start at the moment but he is a future franchise center in my opinion 

4 minutes ago, KRISH10 said:

I get that but does anyone honestly believe VUC will still be here past the trade deadline? I dont so I would think it would be important to get them some playing time together to build chemistry. Bamba might not be ready to start at the moment but he is a future franchise center in my opinion 

Yeah but it's tough to do that unless Bamba starts because right now you have Bamba playing really long stretches of minutes due to him playing some 4. You could have Isaac come back in a bit earlier but then you're just playing the BIG lineup for 2 minutes or something.

You guys, I figured it out. There’s nothing to worry about. 

Last year we started 6-2 based largely on unsustainably great shooting, then everything turned completely around and we lost 74% of our remaining games, finishing 25-57.

This year we’re going to start 2-6 based largely on unsustainably bad shooting, but then we’ll turn it around and win 74% of our remaining games, finishing 57-25.

Easy! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

As strange as this sounds, i'd rather have Augustin if all we get is the Milwaukee pick. That pick won't convey next draft; I think the value Augustin provides for the next two years is worth (much) more than a 2020 late first round pick. We have NOBODY in the interim to pick up that slack. We'd be giving up three weeks into the season. 

26 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

As strange as this sounds, i'd rather have Augustin if all we get is the Milwaukee pick. That pick won't convey next draft; I think the value Augustin provides for the next two years is worth (much) more than a 2020 late first round pick. We have NOBODY in the interim to pick up that slack. We'd be giving up three weeks into the season. 

Is there no one in the g-league worth looking at? I honestly think if we lose Friday you’ll see a real giveup on the horizon. 

Would you trade Fournier and Augustin for Rubio and Sefolosha? I think Rubio could help our young players (Bamba, Isaac and Gordon) with his passes and good setups. He also would be an upgrade on D.

Rubio/Grant

Ross/Simmons

Isaac/Sefolosha

Gordon/Martin

Vuc/Bamba

Rubio is a free agent at the end of the season. If he doesen't fit, we at least get some cap space. Also Sefolosha is on his last year.

Have we figured out if Fournier is a SG or SF? Obviously, he’s starting at SG, but his offensive game has been really bad thus far. Is he just in a slump or not quick enough to create separation? Maybe something else? Plus, he’s never been a good defender. Asking for a friend

1 hour ago, matthi32 said:

Would you trade Fournier and Augustin for Rubio and Sefolosha? I think Rubio could help our young players (Bamba, Isaac and Gordon) with his passes and good setups. He also would be an upgrade on D.

Rubio/Grant

Ross/Simmons

Isaac/Sefolosha

Gordon/Martin

Vuc/Bamba

Rubio is a free agent at the end of the season. If he doesen't fit, we at least get some cap space. Also Sefolosha is on his last year.

That surely will make our offense even worse and we are currently dead last. 

21 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

That surely will make our offense even worse and we are currently dead last. 

No I beg to differ. Rubio is a great facilitator and his 3 pt shot is not bad. Sefolosha would be a great defensive mentor to Frazier and iwundu. Also we would not have the Evan and vooch show anymore. But Rubio just had a 28 and 12 game so I doubt he is going anywhere.