The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

Boston Celtics backup point guard Terry Rozier only played 15 minutes Monday night against the Orlando Magic. The Celtics lost by a final score of 93-90. Rozier finished the game with just five points on 2-of-9 shooting from the field.

Rozier knows head coach Brad Stevens has a tough job this season. The Celtics have one of the deepest and most talented rosters in the NBA. Stevens will be tasked with the challenge to distribute his minutes throughout the season efficiently and, so far, Terry Rozier hasn’t been getting the minutes that he would like.

“It’s not the easiest,” Rozier said about not playing that many minutes, via CLNS video. “You know, me being a competitor, me being who I am, I wake up everyday and I wanna be the best I can be. I wanna win in everything. It’s tough when I don’t get the minutes that I may want. Like last night for example, I didn’t play that many minutes.

“But like I said, coach, he’s not in a easy…he don’t have the easiest job. He’s got the toughest job out of all of us, and I can respect that. I control what I can control. I still come in everyday and bust my butt off because I know it may be different on Thursday. So I just gotta be ready, stay ready. And it’s tough. Like I said, I’m competitive.”

Terry Rozier will make $3 million this season and become a restricted free agent in the summer of 2019 if Boston offers him a $4.29 million qualifying offer. The 24-year-old scoring guard started for the Celtics during the 2018 playoffs because Kyrie Irving was injured, and Rozier flourished, averaging 16.5 points, 5.3 rebounds and 5.7 assists per game while shooting 40.6 percent from the field and 34.7 percent from beyond the arc.

Rozier probably views himself as a starting-caliber point guard in the NBA, but he won’t get that title in Boston since Irving is on the roster. Irving informally announced he is planning on re-signing with the Celtics next offseason. The five-time All-Star will easily command a max contract. Boston is already paying both Gordon Hayward and Al Horford max money, and they will have to take care of Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum in a few years. Could that make Terry Rozier the odd man out in Boston this summer? It’s very possible.

https://clutchpoints.com/celtics-news-terry-rozier-is-displeased-with-playing-time-in-loss-to-magic/

52 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Suns fans seem to be losing hope 

That's just because he's played two bad games in a row. A week ago he was taking a leap because he had 18 on 11 shots and went 3-4 from three. 

It's the same principle we see with a guy like Fournier. First 2 game he looked like a guy who we should cut to keep him from hurting the team. Second two games he's playing like an all star. 

44 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Steve went at him. Good on him. AG seems the type to be able to take that on board and come back better.

Yeah. Reports at the time were that they were cool by the end of the timeout. 

And it worked. 

7 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Lonzo & Zubac for Vuc, who says no?

Think we need to include a pick but thats the basic deal I'd be hunting. Just hope the Lakers keep losing and vucevic keeps performing

11 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Think we need to include a pick but thats the basic deal I'd be hunting. Just hope the Lakers keep losing and vucevic keeps performing

Lonzo playing with BIG would be nice to watch. He loves to involve teammates and I think that would be very healthy for our team.

We could be like the 04 Pistons. No superstars but a lot of A- guys

8 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I'd throw in the OKC pick and maybe one of our 2nds this year if needed. I don't think I would use our own pick unless it was very protected.

I am of course operating under the assumption that we don't have a winning record 20 games in. Don't know if we can make the trade if we are 12-8 or something like that. (We probably should for long term reasons, but it is hard to make a move if things finally seem to be going the right direction).

12 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Lonzo playing with BIG would be nice to watch. He loves to involve teammates and I think that would be very healthy for our team.

We could be like the 04 Pistons. No superstars but a lot of A- guys

Obviously this is a long term move, but I am concerned that Bamba isn't ready for that type of minute load. I don't see Birch as much more than a 10 minute a game energy guy, so we'd either be forced to play Mozgov/Zubac some (unlikely) or throw Isaac/Gordon at the 5. Don't get me wrong, I'd still be very interested in the trade- but short term we'd need to figure out the 5 spot.

47 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Lonzo & Zubac for Vuc, who says no?

LA has been playing an actual center less than 50% of the time. Do we think it’s because they don’t have the players or is it by design? Just trying to figure out why LAL would trade a piece like Lonzo for an offensive-minded center when they aren’t struggling to score and are only playing with a traditional center half the time. 

6 minutes ago, Odin said:

Obviously this is a long term move, but I am concerned that Bamba isn't ready for that type of minute load. I don't see Birch as much more than a 10 minute a game energy guy, so we'd either be forced to play Mozgov/Zubac some (unlikely) or throw Isaac/Gordon at the 5. Don't get me wrong, I'd still be very interested in the trade- but short term we'd need to figure out the 5 spot.

It just shifts our rotation from point guard by committee to center by committee. 

Bamba doesn't really need to be ready because we have 6 guys all capable of playing center