The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Rubio made 96 threes last year. Payton attempted 92. 

Edit: also, Rubio is a good defender while Payton is a terrible defender. 

Also Rubio is a better passer.

So no. 

I used to be a Payton fan but if Rubio went to Orlando the team would be a lot more exciting to watch

46 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

HahahaHahahaha

I don't think they are really that similar of players.

Payton often has effort issues, Rubio doesn't

Payton only can score around the basket, Rubio can only score from longer shots (their TS% is actually pretty close over the past two seasons- slightly below league average. I think it is debatable whether being able to hit from long range or close is more helpful, but it would probably be better for us to have a good 3 point shooter.)

Payton is defensively often out of position, Rubio is positionally sound

Payton is a good passer, Rubio is a great passer

Besides being the main ball handler generally speaking, the main thing they have in common is their ability to drive into the defense, though Payton is more likely to attempt a FG, while Rubio is more likely to pass it out. And this ability is what we need on the team.

I think Rubio has a pretty major flaw in his difficulties scoring, but his skill set might be what our team needs.

2 hours ago, ML6 said:

I am probably blinded by my fandom but I truly think this could be a good team as currently constructed but with Rozier in place of Augustin.  And Bamba starting with Vooch off the bench, since I have accepted that he will retire here somehow.

This. Rozier plus a high draft pick while getting rid of vuc and (hopefully) fournier, and this team will be much much better

• Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, Odin said:

I don't think they are really that similar of players.

Payton often has effort issues, Rubio doesn't

Payton only can score around the basket, Rubio can only score from longer shots (their TS% is actually pretty close over the past two seasons- slightly below league average. I think it is debatable whether being able to hit from long range or close is more helpful, but it would probably be better for us to have a good 3 point shooter.)

Payton is defensively often out of position, Rubio is positionally sound

Payton is a good passer, Rubio is a great passer

Besides being the main ball handler generally speaking, the main thing they have in common is their ability to drive into the defense, though Payton is more likely to attempt a FG, while Rubio is more likely to pass it out. And this ability is what we need on the team.

I think Rubio has a pretty major flaw in his difficulties scoring, but his skill set might be what our team needs.

Absolutely think he would be a great fit. The team already has plenty of scoring options so having someone to space the floor and create for teammates would be really solid. Defense is a great bonus as well.

This guy hopefully is on the radar for us right now. He is 3rd string/ PG behind Dunn and Payne in Chicago and wont get much run unless it's the G-league. I think he would be an upgrade for the second unit. Should be very affordable perhaps briscoe and a 2nd rnd pick. 

10 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

This guy hopefully is on the radar for us right now. He is 3rd string/ PG behind Dunn and Payne in Chicago and wont get much run unless it's the G-league. I think he would be an upgrade for the second unit. Should be very affordable perhaps briscoe and a 2nd rnd pick. 

No. He doesn't fit what we want to do and isn't very good. 

This is pretty much the team I thought we'd be. 

101 offensive rating 98 defensive rating against Miami

95.9; 94.7 against Boston.

Most wins we should be something like 101; 99

Most losses we should be at 98; 103

Think Philly losses will be rare 118.6; 119.6 because our offense shouldn't hit that many threes and we won't give up that many threes either. 

Still don't know what to make of the Charlotte game where we had an offensive rating of 59 in the first half. 

If we are given an opportunity to sell high on Vooch, especially for a long-term answer at pg, I really hope we pull the trigger.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

If we are given an opportunity to sell high on Vooch, especially for a long-term answer at pg, I really hope we pull the trigger.

Hopefully he plays well long enough and the Lakers suck long enough to justify a vucevic-Lonzo swap

• Upvote 1