The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

26. Orlando Magic 
BPI projected wins: 30.9
Previous rank: No. 28

Best case: 40-42
Aaron Gordon, Jonathan Isaac, Nikola Vucevic and No. 6 overall pick Mohamed Bamba can significantly advance the re-establishment of the NBA big man if they use their versatility to intimidate opponents and make up for their own team's questionable guard play. D.J. Augustin and Jerian Grant will have to be surprisingly consistent for the Magic to reach playoff potential.

2018-19 Orlando Magic Projected Win %

MONTH(S) PROJECTED WIN%*
*According to BPI
OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 37.8
DECEMBER 43.9
MARCH/APRIL
FEBRUARY 38.4
MARCH/APRIL 39.6

Worst case: 24-58
Without great point guard options, the Magic could squander the continued growth of Gordon and make it difficult for the combination of Isaac and Bamba to develop. If reality smacks the Magic in the face too soon, it could mean flipping Vucevic's expiring contract for a lead guard and planning for next season quickly.

Toughest stretch: January
Orlando starts a six-game road trip on New Year's Eve, making the start of 2019 a potential disaster. The Magic are welcomed back by rare home games on back-to-back nights. The opponents: the Celtics and Rockets. Ouch. The Magic play their only other game against the Rockets in January, as well, followed immediately by a visit from Russell Westbrook and the Thunder.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24813839/projecting-best-worst-cases-toughest-stretches-all-30-teams

pretty sure we would have already flipped Vucevic's expiring contract for a lead guard if there was a viable option

• Upvote 1

Here's to the hope that this team surprises us this year and makes the playoffs but if not hopefully this time next year we have RJ Barrett or Zion 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24813839/projecting-best-worst-cases-toughest-stretches-all-30-teams

pretty sure we would have already flipped Vucevic's expiring contract for a lead guard if there was a viable option

I've heard Schroder suggested by a couple writers but that's just them being myopic

I'm looking forward to the season starting. I'm feeling about 30 wins, but my hope is we can at least be more competitive in the losses and develop our youth.

Zach Lowe season predictions.

Orlando trades Nikola Vucevic but keeps Aaron Gordon

And thus marks at least the third time I've predicted a Vucevic trade. I might be wrong again! Vooch is a good player. His ability to facilitate from the elbow -- something he improves every season -- compensates at least a bit for Orlando's point guard sinkhole. His jumper makes it feasible for Steve Clifford to play Gordon, Jonathan Isaac, and Vucevic at the same time. He can mentor Mo Bamba.

But Vucevic's contract is finally expiring. If you are going to lose a good player for nothing, you have to at least try to get something back for him. Orlando doesn't want long-term salary, so they might not be able to find a suitable return. Vucevic would be amazing with the Lakers, but it's hard to find a workable trade. (Vucevic also makes some sense as an extension candidate, but the Magic will likely choose cap flexibility over more Vooch.)

Insiders see a Gordon trade as inevitable. Isaac and Bamba are the frontcourt of the future; Gordon is not a wing. The Magic designed Gordon's declining contract to be a trade asset. Flip him for perimeter guys and be done with it.

But Gordon just turned 23. He has played much of his career out of position. Clifford is his fifth head coach in five seasons. Once Gordon figures out what he is, and what he isn't, he could be an All-Star. The Magic need good players, regardless of position. They are scarred from watching Victor Oladipo blossom elsewhere. If Gordon surges, he becomes both more tradable and more valuable to the Magic. Orlando wants to be competent. Isaac and Bamba are NBA babies.

These predictions cover only the next calendar year. The Magic don't have to rush.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24988629/zach-lowe-crazy-predictions-2018-19-nba-season

14 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't see us trading Gordon unless the Gordon Isaac pairing fails significantly after we get a decent point guard to pair them with. 

Wasn't our defense with both on the court (as limited as that was) incredibly good last year?

1 hour ago, Odin said:

Wasn't our defense with both on the court (as limited as that was) incredibly good last year?

It's not a number worth even considering really

On the ringer live show thing they're doing right now they basically had an epiphany that Isaac is a 7 foot wing. It's nice to see people finally getting it. 

Here's an interesting question, to which I think the answer is "yes", but I guess I'm not 100% sure:

Does the new shot clock reset rule also apply to transition attempts, or I guess any attempt in the first 10 seconds of the clock?  Like, we outlet to Gordon, he takes a tough layup with 21 on the clock, misses, and gets his own rebound.  Defense is back now so he decides to dribble out.  We're at 14 seconds now, right?