Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Magic at heat

Things that should be happening this season:

- Making Gordon the #1 option on offense. You can't expect him to become great if he doesn't get the reps. He needs to be unleashed like Oladipo was in Indiana.

- Seeing Isaac, Gordon & Bamba on the court at the same time.

--

I'm not optimistic about either of those. Coach Clifford hasn't inspired any confidence

Same old Magic, AG/Simmons forcing, Vuc D suspect, and if EF can’t shoot he should be on the bench. Ross hurt again. 

Bright notes - Bamba is the real deal

Wes has improved and Frazier looks interesting, Grant could be serviceable back up. We need Issac out there.

8 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

But it's really not. The defense is better and one of our main offensive sets is now a Gordon Vuc pick and roll and Gordon is actually looking for teammates and distributing the ball well which is not something that occurred previously (20% assist percentage this preseason. 11 last year. 3.9 last preseason). 

Additionally our offensive sets are built around much more weak side action so there's less standing around on the other side (still some, but less). One example that comes to mind is Fournier's lone bucket last night that was created off of a weakside baseline screen. Vogel had really limited motion. 

If Fournier and Simmons hit shots they normally make (and we have every expectation they should make based on hundreds of games of evidence) the overly optimistic posters on here would be claiming a playoff lock. 

Yeah I mean see those differences but there’s still a lot of the same ol same ol. Buddy ball seems to have decreased some which is good. 

Defensively I expect us to be better so I was mainly referring to offense.

I just see some of the same issues mainly because of personnel.

4 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Yeah I mean see those differences but there’s still a lot of the same ol same ol. Buddy ball seems to have decreased some which is good. 

Defensively I expect us to be better so I was mainly referring to offense.

I just see some of the same issues mainly because of personnel.

Fournier has struggled and I think a lot of his "forcing" is literally by design to get him out of that funk. 

Can someone watch the first GIF in this article and explain to me why AG overplays so often in his on-ball defense? Is he just trying to force direction or is he guessing? He does this a fair amount and ends up on a player's back when he has the athleticism to stay in front.

https://www.nba.com/magic/news/film-room-stifling-defense-20181008

2 hours ago, Mack1085 said:

Can someone watch the first GIF in this article and explain to me why AG overplays so often in his on-ball defense? Is he just trying to force direction or is he guessing? He does this a fair amount and ends up on a player's back when he has the athleticism to stay in front.

https://www.nba.com/magic/news/film-room-stifling-defense-20181008

Hard to know without knowing our philosophy. 

It looks like he's iceing the screen

If not that he's pushing a guy to go left who doesn't want to go left. 

Edit: actually he's definitely iceing the screen. Watch vucevic. He's the tell. He drops down to disrupt the path to the basket. If Gordon's man attacked the basket Vuc and Gordon might switch or they might run a soft double

16 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Hard to know without knowing our philosophy. 

It looks like he's iceing the screen

If not that he's pushing a guy to go left who doesn't want to go left. 

Edit: actually he's definitely iceing the screen. Watch vucevic. He's the tell. He drops down to disrupt the path to the basket. If Gordon's man attacked the basket Vuc and Gordon might switch or they might run a soft double

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye out for that this season. I feel like I’ve seen Gordon do this more than most, but I’ll be interested to watch the result. Especially when Vuc is in instead of Bamba. I would expect more switching when we have our  athletic guys out there, but I’m not familiar with Clifford’s defensive philosophy yet

On 10/9/2018 at 10:27 AM, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Things that should be happening this season:

- Making Gordon the #1 option on offense. You can't expect him to become great if he doesn't get the reps. He needs to be unleashed like Oladipo was in Indiana.

- Seeing Isaac, Gordon & Bamba on the court at the same time.

--

I'm not optimistic about either of those. Coach Clifford hasn't inspired any confidence

I agree with the B-I-G comment like everyone else.  Gordon was 5-17, he's getting the reps, he just can't convert the attempts.   He's not nearly efficient enough to be a top offensive option.  Yet.

It's the same ole same ole.  Without Nik putting up solid numbers this is another blowout for the other guys.  It's preseason, sure, but we've read this chapter already.