Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Official preseason thread

It's a lot of time that I've this idea in my head, but I'm not sure to be able to translate it correctly into an easy explanation (english is not my first language too, so sorry if that's too long and not clear enough)

What about having, after the regular season, the usual playoff with the best 16 teams, and a playoff (or maybe playout..) with all the other ones? (I know, it would be 14 teams and a strange format, but I think that there could be a solution there, even without expanding the league to 32 teams, that would be optimal for this)

What’s my point? The 14 worst teams in the regular season, would have to fight for gaining the top pick in the next draft. The two finalists, would get pick 1 and 2 in the draft. The semi-finalist, pick 3 and 4, and so on.
The team that finish 17th, would have home court advantage throughout the playout competition. Having the 14 team problem, team 17th and 18th could have a bye and automatically pass to the next round. The other 12 teams, would play one against other (19 against 30 and so on), and the 6 winners would go to quarter-finals with those two teams (17th and 18th). The 6 losers in the first round, will pick in the 9/14 range in the draft (the 14th would be the one with the worst record in regular season, or other games could be played to decide it). Ditto for quarterfinals and semifinals.

What are the advantages?
- Avoid completely the tank. Every team would be interested in win as much as possible, because even a 18th place could be very important for the future of the franchise.
- No meaningless games in the end of the reg.season, with teams not risking their top players to try to lose more games. Every team has to be ready to go for the first round of the playoffs/playout.
- Owners of teams from 17 to 30 in the standings, could make a little more money than now, as their teams will play some more home games in this new format. Surely, there will not be a lot of sellouts for those games, but if the price is the LeBron James of the future, there could be some interest in those matches too.
- All NBA players would be involved in games at least until May. There’s a lot of difference (on mileage) right now, between players that goes deeply into the playoffs, and the ones in tanking teams. Fatigue and mileage could be a negative factor in a long career. That would equalize the minutes that every NBA player has in his career.

Disadvantages?

Surely, there're some aspect that I'm not considering (from a NBA league standpoint, or players association), and that prevent this solution.
A direct consequence, would be in the market on the trade deadline. There would be a lot more of buyers, and less sellers, as competition would be extended through all the 30 teams on the league.
You guys will surely find some other problem in that idea! :)

49 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

It's a lot of time that I've this idea in my head, but I'm not sure to be able to translate it correctly into an easy explanation (english is not my first language too, so sorry if that's too long and not clear enough)

What about having, after the regular season, the usual playoff with the best 16 teams, and a playoff (or maybe playout..) with all the other ones? (I know, it would be 14 teams and a strange format, but I think that there could be a solution there, even without expanding the league to 32 teams, that would be optimal for this)

What’s my point? The 14 worst teams in the regular season, would have to fight for gaining the top pick in the next draft. The two finalists, would get pick 1 and 2 in the draft. The semi-finalist, pick 3 and 4, and so on.
The team that finish 17th, would have home court advantage throughout the playout competition. Having the 14 team problem, team 17th and 18th could have a bye and automatically pass to the next round. The other 12 teams, would play one against other (19 against 30 and so on), and the 6 winners would go to quarter-finals with those two teams (17th and 18th). The 6 losers in the first round, will pick in the 9/14 range in the draft (the 14th would be the one with the worst record in regular season, or other games could be played to decide it). Ditto for quarterfinals and semifinals.

What are the advantages?
- Avoid completely the tank. Every team would be interested in win as much as possible, because even a 18th place could be very important for the future of the franchise.
- No meaningless games in the end of the reg.season, with teams not risking their top players to try to lose more games. Every team has to be ready to go for the first round of the playoffs/playout.
- Owners of teams from 17 to 30 in the standings, could make a little more money than now, as their teams will play some more home games in this new format. Surely, there will not be a lot of sellouts for those games, but if the price is the LeBron James of the future, there could be some interest in those matches too.
- All NBA players would be involved in games at least until May. There’s a lot of difference (on mileage) right now, between players that goes deeply into the playoffs, and the ones in tanking teams. Fatigue and mileage could be a negative factor in a long career. That would equalize the minutes that every NBA player has in his career.

Disadvantages?

Surely, there're some aspect that I'm not considering (from a NBA league standpoint, or players association), and that prevent this solution.
A direct consequence, would be in the market on the trade deadline. There would be a lot more of buyers, and less sellers, as competition would be extended through all the 30 teams on the league.

I like it

4 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

What are the advantages?

Disadvantages?

this is basically bill simmons' idea for his entertaining as hell tournament that he's been writing and championing for years

2 hours ago, JamminJ21 said:

this is basically bill simmons' idea for his entertaining as hell tournament that he's been writing and championing for years

Didn't read or listen to Simmons in a long time, almost never I could say, so I apologize if the idea seems to be copied, I wasn't really aware about it.

So.. why this kind of system is not talked about more? Why NBA didn't consider it? What are the con's? I think that it would be a great way to have every team competing at every point of the season.

2 hours ago, JamminJ21 said:

No the entertaining as hell tournament was giving a team a chance at a playoff spot. I don't think it had anything to do with picks but you could probably incorporate that. 

Though I think instead of giving the hypothetical 7th seed that wins the tournament the top pick in the draft they could give that team in each conference the top lottery odds. 

This is just for fun but we could of had a lineup of

Oladipo..Booker..Isaac..Gordon & Bamba LOL 

Or am i wrong?

Not taking Booker still stings me. Specially as he really wanted to come here.

Anyway just random nonsense from me at 5.51am London. England time lol

4 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

This is just for fun but we could of had a lineup of

Oladipo..Booker..Isaac..Gordon & Bamba LOL 

Or am i wrong?

Not taking Booker still stings me. Specially as he really wanted to come here.

Anyway just random nonsense from me at 5.51am London. England time lol

If Oladipo stayed here we would have been too good to draft Isaac & Bamba

8 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

If Oladipo stayed here we would have been too good to draft Isaac & Bamba

for real MP good point bro. Hope you are good

• Like 1