Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Official preseason thread

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

This would be an utter disaster.

I disagree.  I think the league would be better off with no lottery at all, or a severely watered down version.  I’d like to see a system where every team that doesn’t make the playoffs has exactly the same random chance at any of the first 14 picks.  Anything that incentivizes teams to lose has no place in professional sports.  

• Like 1

Just now, JJZFL said:

I disagree.  I think the league would be better off with no lottery at all, or a severely watered down version.  I’d like to see a system where every team that doesn’t make the playoffs has exactly the same random chance at any of the first 14 picks.  Anything that incentivizes teams to lose has no place in professional sports.  

Nah. 1 year contracts are dumb. Kills development value. 

I think there should be no draft. Rookies enter free agency. 

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

That’s fine with me.  Anything that gets rid of the current incentives to lose. 

2 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

Totally agree.  NBA lottery huge ratings and PR boost for the league but is the major contributor to tanking.  No easy solution to tanking which I think is bad for the league.  SVG had the most viable solution to tanking (even though it is not likely) by making rookies after year one free agents (unrestricted or restricted would be OK). New lottery a band-aid at best.  But since it is there, maybe it will benefit us this year since we are due.

Here's my solution to the lottery/draft and it creates a lot of winners while eliminating tanking. The worst 15 teams get 1 ball each in the lottery. They will each get 2 picks in the 1st round, the one they draw, then reverse order for the 2nd pick. For example 1st pick also gets #30, #2 also gets #29, #15 also gets #16, etc. This also increases the value of picks from non playoff teams because any one of them could be the number 1 pick. Then the remaining teams each get 2 picks in the 2nd round and those run in pairs. the team that came in 16th gets #31 and #32. The team that wins it all gets #59 and #60. It would make the lottery TV show even more exciting with 15 teams having a shot at #1!

• Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Here's my solution to the lottery/draft and it creates a lot of winners while eliminating tanking. The worst 15 teams get 1 ball each in the lottery. They will each get 2 picks in the 1st round, the one they draw, then reverse order for the 2nd pick. For example 1st pick also gets #30, #2 also gets #29, #15 also gets #16, etc. This also increases the value of picks from non playoff teams because any one of them could be the number 1 pick. Then the remaining teams each get 2 picks in the 2nd round and those run in pairs. the team that came in 16th gets #31 and #32. The team that wins it all gets #59 and #60. It would make the lottery TV show even more exciting with 15 teams having a shot at #1!

That incentivizes tanking more than the current system

Like I don't think you thought that through at all. What would you rather have this season as a magic fan? The 8th seed and pick 31 and 32 or the 9th team in the East, the guaranteed 15th pick and a 36% chance at a top 5 pick. 

Not a very good idea. 

2 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I think it takes away the incentive to come in the last few places which the current system does not do.

What's worse? Teams in a race to be terrible? Or teams desperately bailing out of the playoffs the last few weeks of the season?

I'd argue the latter is significantly more damaging. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

What's worse? Teams in a race to be terrible? Or teams desperately bailing out of the playoffs the last few weeks of the season?

I'd argue the latter is significantly more damaging. 

Isn't the financial benefit of making the playoffs enough to not tank?

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Like I don't think you thought that through at all. What would you rather have this season as a magic fan? The 8th seed and pick 31 and 32 or the 9th team in the East, the guaranteed 15th pick and a 36% chance at a top 5 pick. 

Not a very good idea. 

Yeah you are right! I was only looking at the scramble to get in the bottom 5

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

That’s fine with me.  Anything that gets rid of the current incentives to lose. 

Incentivize being better rather than discourage being worse. Cap and tax relief for teams that improve a certain percentage or make the playoffs. Higher incentives for seeds 5-8 than 1-4. The incentive begins as soon as the offseason hits and carries into the next season.