Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Official preseason thread

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Vuc should be gone this summer. 

Do you think Isaac was a bad pick?

I'm not sure any of us are qualified to judge the coaching hire. Recent history has shown coaching hires are very unpredictable. Clifford might suck or he might be good but I don't think we really know which yet as I think coaches like Clifford coach more to their circumstances than we realize. For example, one major issue Charlotte fans had with him is a 10 man rotation. He would often play all bench lineups. But here he's said his plan is to play a 9 man rotation (we'll have to see if this plays out that way). 

I'm dreading another season of Vuc's matador defense, especially at crucial points of the game.

It's too early to tell if Isaac was a bad pick or not until we see if he's durable enough to play more than a few games at a time without ankle injuries. Just from eyeballing before the draft I said he was probably going to be injury prone and I said the same thing about KP.

We'll see how coach Clifford plays out,  the keys for me this year is will he hold players accountable regardless of salary and yanks them when the don't give 100% on both ends of the floor and also how he does with developing Bamba and Frazier.

I'm hoping that we are at least fun to watch this year but I'll be watching regardless :D

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

Completely agree.  We were not a 22 win team last year without all the injuries (more a 30-33 team win team last year) and now we add Bamba.  With no major injury loss mid 30's is a good number due to our youth since I think Ross and Vuc will be shopped at the trade deadline.  Only caveat to mid 30 win season is, since tanking does help get better players, to tank at the end if there are a lot of teams bunched together (worked well for Dallas last year).

I’m onboard, I predict a 35 win team assuming we have only a reasonable amount of injuries.

1 hour ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I'm dreading another season of Vuc's matador defense, especially at crucial points of the game.

It's too early to tell if Isaac was a bad pick or not until we see if he's durable enough to play more than a few games at a time without ankle injuries. Just from eyeballing before the draft I said he was probably going to be injury prone and I said the same thing about KP.

We'll see how coach Clifford plays out,  the keys for me this year is will he hold players accountable regardless of salary and yanks them when the don't give 100% on both ends of the floor and also how he does with developing Bamba and Frazier.

I'm hoping that we are at least fun to watch this year but I'll be watching regardless :D

Very good post.  +1 from me. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

Completely agree.  We were not a 22 win team last year without all the injuries (more a 30-33 team win team last year) and now we add Bamba.  With no major injury loss mid 30's is a good number due to our youth since I think Ross and Vuc will be shopped at the trade deadline.  Only caveat to mid 30 win season is, since tanking does help get better players, to tank at the end if there are a lot of teams bunched together (worked well for Dallas last year).

I don’t think tanking works that way this year.  If I understand correctly, the bottom 7 all have the same chance at picks 1-7. 

5 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Vuc should be gone this summer. 

Do you think Isaac was a bad pick?

I'm not sure any of us are qualified to judge the coaching hire. Recent history has shown coaching hires are very unpredictable. Clifford might suck or he might be good but I don't think we really know which yet as I think coaches like Clifford coach more to their circumstances than we realize. For example, one major issue Charlotte fans had with him is a 10 man rotation. He would often play all bench lineups. But here he's said his plan is to play a 9 man rotation (we'll have to see if this plays out that way). 

lol is vuc being gone next summer some sort of consolation for the last few years. "Just wait one more season and he's gone" Uhmmm OK? haha

Isaac has not shown much because he can't stay healthy

and the coaching hire, my god Cliff spent how many years here previously? That's why he was hired: the ol' familiar face to remind us of the good times. ALL coaches coach to their roster and circumstance; Cliff ain't special in that regard. Look, we had a chance to hire a young buck but instead chose the elder, experienced, nearing-retirement guy in the vain hope of extracting a few more wins from this roster. I'd like to know what about Clifford gets you excited? The way I see it his time in Charlotte was very uneven. 

28 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

lol is vuc being gone next summer some sort of consolation for the last few years. "Just wait one more season and he's gone" Uhmmm OK? haha

Isaac has not shown much because he can't stay healthy

and the coaching hire, my god Cliff spent how many years here previously? That's why he was hired: the ol' familiar face to remind us of the good times. ALL coaches coach to their roster and circumstance; Cliff ain't special in that regard. Look, we had a chance to hire a young buck but instead chose the elder, experienced, nearing-retirement guy in the vain hope of extracting a few more wins from this roster. I'd like to know what about Clifford gets you excited? The way I see it his time in Charlotte was very uneven. 

I think vucevic is here because nobody wants him and we don't want to take on negative value to move him. At least this season he's an expiring contract for trades. 

A lot of coaches don't coach to their circumstances. They coach to their philosophy. 

Clifford doesn't really excite me. But he's really good at coaching so I mean that's what you want. 

Here's a bucks writer taking about coaching analysis from a nylon calculus contributor/Lakers fan before we hired him

Plus he's also got the track record on defense. 

But I don't know if he's going to be successful here. 

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I don’t think tanking works that way this year.  If I understand correctly, the bottom 7 all have the same chance at picks 1-7. 

Here is the rational and odds for next year's draft.  Tanking will take more strategy and calculations but still may be beneficial.  If we are out of the playoffs and can move up a few slots we will get a better player.  Tanking will not be a strategy but will become more situational.    Tanking is not going away as long as the lottery exists and no fines are levied when it is obvious. (Dallas should have been fined a second time this past year.)  On the odds chart you cannot read the numbers that go horizontal at the top but it goes 1 to 14. (Top team has 5 percentages and it's worst pick is 5, Second team has 6 percentages and it's worst pick is pick 6, etc)  Top 4 teams not top 3 awarded by drawing of ping pong balls.  Odds diminished for the worst teams but not eliminated.  

1. All teams missing the playoffs are in the Lottery
2. Teams with worse records get more chances at winning a top four pick (more ping pong ball combos)
3. The 1st overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balrall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls
4.The 2nd overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls
5. The 3rd overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls
6.The 4th overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls
7.Remaining lottery teams, sorted by record, fill out picks 5-14
8.Playoff teams, sorted by record, are assigned picks 15-30 - playoff seeds and outcomes have no impact
9.Random drawing decides who picks first between teams with same record
10.Tied lottery teams split their ping pong balls evenly, and any odd remainder and the better draft order position are given to the random drawing winner
11.Second round is ordered by record without playoff consideration
12.Second round ties are in reverse order of the teams' first round picks

BASE ODDS WITHOUT TIES

SEED

>0.0

>0.0

>0.0

>0.0

>0.0

>0.0

DETERMINING THE NBA DRAFT ORDER

1. All teams missing the playoffs are in the Lottery

2. Teams with worse records get more chances at winning a top four pick (more ping pong ball combos)

3. The 1st overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls

4. The 2nd overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls

5. The 3rd overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls.6. The 4th overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls

7. Remaining lottery teams, sorted by record, fill out picks 5-14

8. Playoff teams, sorted by record, are assigned picks 15-30 - playoff seeds and outcomes have no impact

9.Random drawing decides who picks first between teams with same record

10. Tied lottery teams split their ping pong balls evenly, and any odd remainder and the better draft order position are given to the random drawing winner

11. Second round is ordered by record without playoff consideration

12. Second round ties are in reverse order of the teams' first round picks

10 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

Here is the rational and odds for next year's draft.  Tanking will take more strategy and calculations but still may be beneficial.  If we are out of the playoffs and can move up a few slots we will get a better player.  Tanking will not be a strategy but will become more situational.    Tanking is not going away as long as the lottery exists and no fines are levied when it is obvious. (Dallas should have been fined a second time this past year.)  On the odds chart you cannot read the numbers that go horizontal at the top but it goes 1 to 14. (Top team has 5 percentages and it's worst pick is 5, Second team has 6 percentages and it's worst pick is pick 6, etc)  Top 4 teams not top 3 awarded by drawing of ping pong balls.  Odds diminished for the worst teams but not eliminated.  

Thank you for that clarification.  Obviously I didn't correctly understand what they did.  They reduced the benefit of tanking a little bit but not nearly as much as I thought.  I wish they had made the bottom 7 completely identical.  As long as they keep just tinkering around the edges, teams will continue to tank.  A few will hit it big, and others will follow our route, and be bad for a long time.

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Thank you for that clarification.  Obviously I didn't correctly understand what they did.  They reduced the benefit of tanking a little bit but not nearly as much as I thought.  I wish they had made the bottom 7 completely identical.  As long as they keep just tinkering around the edges, teams will continue to tank.  A few will hit it big, and others will follow our route, and be bad for a long time.

Totally agree.  NBA lottery huge ratings and PR boost for the league but is the major contributor to tanking.  No easy solution to tanking which I think is bad for the league.  SVG had the most viable solution to tanking (even though it is not likely) by making rookies after year one free agents (unrestricted or restricted would be OK). New lottery a band-aid at best.  But since it is there, maybe it will benefit us this year since we are due.

1 hour ago, Originalticketholder said:

SVG had the most viable solution to tanking (even though it is not likely) by making rookies after year one free agents (unrestricted or restricted would be OK).

This would be an utter disaster.