Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Official preseason thread

7 minutes ago, Bauncey Chillups said:

No Payton plus not having every major player on the team miss 15-20 games at different points of the season should get at least 5 more wins.

I don't mind projections that are similar to last year. 

I can't envision a scenario where this team wins 22 games short of Gordon and Isaac with season ending injuries in November while we dump the vets in December-January for picks and start Bamba and iwundu. 

37 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Whole lot of experts are calling for the magic to be among the worst teams in the league. 

I can understand maybe I'm overly optimistic being a fan but I don't see how we could possibly be 6 games worse than last year's team. 

I mean I listened to a whole ringer podcast to find out that they think we will be the most boring team to watch in the NBA.

And Lowe has us in his bottom tier again.

We are getting some major disrespect. Hopefully Gordon, Isaac, and Bamba can force teams to respect us again.

22 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Ridiculous... I don't think they really understand that if/when AG and Issac take a jump this season we should be in the playoffs. Let them talk crap... We are definitely not worse lol doesn't make sense at all

Completely ignore the playoffs. 

Last year's Gordon plus a modest Isaac season should be a 34ish win team. 

That's 12 games off Matt Moore's prediction. That's a huge discrepancy in evaluation. 

39 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Ridiculous... I don't think they really understand that if/when AG and Issac take a jump this season we should be in the playoffs. Let them talk crap... We are definitely not worse lol doesn't make sense at all

I don’t know. I’m kinda in agreement with em. IF AG takes a jump. That’s the key. He hasn’t really turned into a guy that elevates a team to a playoff status. Maybe he does but until you see that, you only can predict on what you’ve seen, not what you hope for.

I like Isaac but he still has a while and the rest of the team are role players. We’re gonna suck at times. I don’t see us making the playoffs unless AG takes a huuuuuugh step.

1 minute ago, Magicman28 said:

I don’t know. I’m kinda in agreement with em. IF AG takes a jump. That’s the key. He hasn’t really turned into a guy that elevates a team to a playoff status. Maybe he does but until you see that, you only can predict on what you’ve seen, not what you hope for.

I like Isaac but he still has a while and the rest of the team are role players. We’re gonna suck at times. I don’t see us making the playoffs unless AG takes a huuuuuugh step.

Sure but there's a big gap between "not a playoff team" and "22 win team"

7 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Other teams getting better plays a role too.

I think the East has gotten worse. We play in the worst division in the NBA. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Whole lot of experts are calling for the magic to be among the worst teams in the league. 

I can understand maybe I'm overly optimistic being a fan but I don't see how we could possibly be 6 games worse than last year's team. 

that's because you continuously make static comparisons to last season. This year's team is not going to play last season's NBA lol.

The rest of the league got better, too, and that's what you are overlooking. The West projects to be much better, with the Grizz, Lakers, Suns, and Mavs all showing improvement (and the West is already strong as is). Closer to home, save for the Hawks, Knicks, and Nets, all other teams in the East project to be better than us and for good reasons. It's upsetting that sports writers project us to be one of the worst, but taken as a whole I can understand why. So many things have to go right for us (and wrong for other teams) for it to be different. 

3 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

that's because you continuously make static comparisons to last season. This year's team is not going to play last season's NBA lol.

The rest of the league got better, too, and that's what you are overlooking. The West projects to be much better, with the Grizz, Lakers, Suns, and Mavs all showing improvement (and the West is already strong as is). Closer to home, save for the Hawks, Knicks, and Nets, all other teams in the East project to be better than us and for good reasons. It's upsetting that sports writers project us to be one of the worst, but taken as a whole I can understand why. So many things have to go right for us (and wrong for other teams) for it to be different. 

I think every year we say a bunch of teams got better but the net gain is pretty much negligible. Someone is going to miss key players for the entire season. Someone will underperform. Someone's coach will be worse than expected. 

Being 4th worst in the East typically gets you about 30 wins

I have no idea how many games we’re going to win.  I just hope we compete night in and night out.  If we do that the team will be worth watching.  If at some point Vuch just stands around watching people go past him, and they don’t take him out, it will be time to turn them off.  

People like to list Augustin as a negative but none of the expected negatives you'd anticipate from a sub par point guard really apply to this team. 

We've been close to top 10 in all the assist related stats. We were last year. We were pre all star. We were post all star. We are this preseason (and we lead the league in assist turnover ratio). 

I think it helps that everyone can pass. 

This Jimmy Butler saga is very entertaining.  Its probably the most interesting spectacle in past 4 years that wasn't forced and fabricated to appease to ratings.