Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Official preseason thread

1 hour ago, magicdoc1 said:

All of the sudden Vuc is the worse offensive player in the league and problematic center. Nonsense. 

He is neither. He is a good teamate and a center who is a decent rebounder and offensive player who happens to be an extremely awful  defender who I, like most of you, dislike. He is just not good enough to continue been our starting center when we have Bamba in our roster.

I think you are missing one key point. The reason Vuch is an awful defender, quite often, is not that he intrinsically doesn’t have the ability to defend.  No, generally it’s due to a lack of intensity on the defensive end of the floor.  And that unfortunately infects everyone who’s out on the floor with him.  Lack of effort from any player is cancer for a team like ours, which needs maximum effort from everyone to have a chance to be decent.  

Perhaps but he is on his last year of his contract and that by itself makes him valuable in a way. 

Fair point.  Not the same reasoning as in your earlier post, but still a legitimate point.  

Good news. That means he is out for tge rest of the preseason.

Why would that be good??  He’s not some grizzled veteran, but rather a second year player who missed most of his first year and has a new coach.  In my opinion, he badly needs preseason time on the floor, all the more so if he’s going to start.  

6 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Why would that be good??  He’s not some grizzled veteran, but rather a second year player who missed most of his first year and has a new coach.  In my opinion, he badly needs preseason time on the floor, all the more so if he’s going to start.  

Yeah that’s not good news at all, we need him

in tip top game shape to start the season too

1 minute ago, Gordon MVP said:

Yeah that’s not good news at all, we need him

in tip top game shape to start the season too

Yeah. He needs as many low risk offensive reps as possible

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

First preseason games are generally like this. The worst offense in the NBA last year was the Phoenix suns at 100.8. right now there are 10 NBA teams under that mark for the preseason. 

The funny thing is our offense is currently 8th in the NBA (which also means nothing because it's the preseason and one game). 

We're not the same team though. A teams identity is more than one problematic center

I don't know if some of you aren't used to the preseason or don't watch other preseason games but last night pretty much met expectations. 

We committed 33 fouls. Portland had 45. The median among all teams is 28. Last regular season no team averaged more than 23. 

We turned the ball over the second fewest amount with 12. Portland had 24, Denver had 22, San Antonio had 22, Washington had 24. We're fourth in fg%, 13th in threes made, 5th in three point percentage, 6th in assists. 

Fournier went 1-11, Simmons went 1-5

Kentavious Caldwell Pope went 0-5, Ibaka is 0-1, olynyk is 1-10, Wes Matthews is 1-7, Danny Green is 1-6, Millsap is 1-5, Gordon Hayward is 3-14, Bradley Beal is 3-12

Yesterday's ugly basketball is typical preseason ugly basketball. This is normal. We had a pretty positive result. 

All of these points are correct and it is only the first game and the Magic did play a lot of players and some unusual rotations.  However, I recall something along the lines of Clifford saying that he didn’t care whether the Magic won or lost these games, but did want to see progress towards establishing an identity.  The identity he described was a hard nosed team that gave maximum effort on both ends of the floor, and that other teams wouldn’t want to play against. Now again it’s just one game, but by that standard the game wasn’t a success.  Giving up 120 in regulation won’t make other teams frightened to play you.  

9 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

All of these points are correct and it is only the first game and the Magic did play a lot of players and some unusual rotations.  However, I recall something along the lines of Clifford saying that he didn’t care whether the Magic won or lost these games, but did want to see progress towards establishing an identity.  The identity he described was a hard nosed team that gave maximum effort on both ends of the floor, and that other teams wouldn’t want to play against. Now again it’s just one game, but by that standard the game wasn’t a success.  Giving up 120 in regulation won’t make other teams frightened to play you.  

That's fair. 

I honestly don't remember if or how well Briscoe played during summer league but in this little clip the first player that came to mind was Marcus Smart. Briscoe looks solidly built and clearly likes to play inside. 

13 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

All of the sudden Vuc is the worse offensive player in the league and problematic center. Nonsense. 

He is neither. He is a good teamate and a center who is a decent rebounder and offensive player who happens to be an extremely awful  defender who I, like most of you, dislike. He is just not good enough to continue been our starting center when we have Bamba in our roster.

I would say great rebounder or close to great