TheNameIsOrlando

Summer League Thread

26 minutes ago, ML6 said:

That game was something else. As others have commented, that's probably the first true excitement I've felt about the team in, well, too long.

I can't wrap my head around Bamba. Without any other info about him, you'd hear his measurements and worry about him being a stiff or his coordination being poor.  Instead, this dude gets super low when defending the perimeter (seriously, when was the last time you saw a 7-footer get into a defensive stance like that on a guard?), runs like a gazelle, has great shooting mechanics, and has the positional awareness to recognize when he's too close to the rim and needs to turn 180 in midair like we've seen Gordon do so many times. 

It's crazy that he's developed this relationship with KG because he has the tools to be a bigger/longer version.

Honestly, this summer league roster would give our last years team run for its money.We look like a proper team, we are starting to see what our management is trying to build. There are no bad contracts to deal with in summer league, just guys that fit the philosophy. Also impressed with our coaching staff, comments from players are all very encouraging. Clifford and his coaching staff are very detail oriented on both ends of the flloor and guys seem to be responding well to it.

Bamba falling to 6 continues to be more and more surprising to me. It never should have happened. A center with some of the best measurements ever at the combine that can shoot from outside too? Makes no sense he fell to 6. But I said it draftnight and I’ll say it again—that’s the type of miracle this franchise needed. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Magicpassion said:

There is a lot to like tonight. Triple J got shut down; granted he’s played some back to backs. I keep seeing that visual at the beginning of Triple J driving only to meet our twin towers and get swatted. We got something to work with folks! 

Jackson is going to have a tough year in the league next year.

38 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Bamba falling to 6 continues to be more and more surprising to me. It never should have happened. A center with some of the best measurements ever at the combine that can shoot from outside too? Makes no sense he fell to 6. But I said it draftnight and I’ll say it again—that’s the type of miracle this franchise needed. 

We are just really lucky that someone decided to take a gamble on Young and that Memphis saw something in Jackson.  

54 minutes ago, JamminJ21 said:

I love Mo Bamba so much

I love Mo Bamba so much. . .and Jonathan Isaac too!!! That tandem gives me goose bumps.

They play well together. In one sequence when JI missed a layup(?) under the basket, Bamba was there to clean it up. In another sequence, JI delivered the ball to Bamba near the basket, and mo finished.

And did you see that running 180 degrees over the head dunk (with his back to the basket). Yes, that was Mo.!

2 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

We are just really lucky that someone decided to take a gamble on Young and that Memphis saw something in Jackson.  

Yeah I would have picked JJJ over Bamba but I see now that would have been the wrong pick. Bamba is going to be a beast, maybe the best pick in the draft.

1 minute ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Yeah I would have picked JJJ over Bamba but I see now that would have been the wrong pick. Bamba is going to be a beast, maybe the best pick in the draft.

I mean, I'm hyped too but it's gonna take more than 2 games to make this sort of assessment.

1 minute ago, ML6 said:

I mean, I'm hyped too but it's gonna take more than 2 games to make this sort of assessment.

Jackson really didn't show enough to be drafted top 5 though, we are lucky regardless of SL games.  

2 minutes ago, ML6 said:

I don't know how old you are, but back in the day, a lot of fans were disappointed that we gave up Okafer for Dwight. Dwight did not start out to be the  superman/powerhouse that he developed into. He, also, had to put on weight and muscle.

3 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Jackson really didn't show enough to be drafted top 5 though, we are lucky regardless of SL games.  

Nah, Jackson's a top 5 pick.  It's Trae that shouldn't have been.

Jackson is a few days removed from hitting 8 threes in a game as an 18 year old whose main early impact is going to be on defense.  Let's not do this thing where we dismiss certain results while focusing on others.  The fact that he can have such a great game followed shortly by a game where he struggles is the exact reason that we can't make any conclusions this early lol. 

• Upvote 2