TrueBlueDrew

How Can The NBA Become Balanced Again?

With Lebron going to the Lakers, lets look at the major players in the East now that he is gone. 

East

1. K. Irving (BOS)
  2. G. Antetokounmpo (MIL)
  3. B. Simmons (PHI)
  4. J. Wall (WAS)
  5. J. Emiid (PHI)
  6. K. Porzingis (NYK)
  7. D. Derozan (TOR)
  8. G. Hayward (BOS)
  9. V. Oladipo (IND)
  10. B. Griffin (DET)

Other honorable mentions: K. Lowry (TOR), K. Love (CLE), D. Wade (MIA), B. Beal (WAS)

Best Players on teams not mentioned: K. Walker (CHA), D. Russell (NYN), L. Markkenen (CHI), A. Gordon (ORL), J. Collins (ATL)

West

1. L. James (LAL)
  2. K. Durant (GSW)
  3. J. Harden (HOU)
  4. S. Curry (GSW)
  5. A. Davis (NOP)
  6. K. Leonard (SAS)
  7. R. Westbrook (OKC)
  8. P. George (OKC)
  9. D. Cousins (NOP)
  10. K. Thompson (GSW)

Other honorable mentions: D. Green (GSW), D. Lillard (POR), C. McCollum (POR), D. Mitchell (UTH), L. Aldridge (SAS), K. Towns (MIN), A. Wiggins (MIN)

Best Players on Teams not mentioned: N. Jokic (DEN), T. Harris (LAC), D. Fox (SAC), D. Smith Jr. (DAL), M. Gasol (MEM), D. Booker (PHX)

How in the world will the NBA ever get even again? We'll need a crop of young players who steer away from this leave wherever they want and start staying loyal. We might need some young talent to be willing to go away from the Major Markets and be willing to say, I'm going to build something on my own (example: Antetokounmpo in MIL). 

It's just depressing how different the talent gap is. 

I know the NBA already allows teams to offer longer contracts to their own players, but considering that it seems players don't want long term contracts anyways (they want the 1+1 deals), I've been wondering if allowing teams to give their own free agents more $$$ per year would be a feasible way to allow teams to keep their own talent, instead of having all the talent concentrate in fewer but larger markets. Allow teams to offer their own players higher max dollar amounts than what they could get if they were to leave.

I don't know if that could be a good idea or not, but it's a thought I had to counteract this whole superteam craze.

On 7/2/2018 at 10:57 AM, Franchise408 said:

I know the NBA already allows teams to offer longer contracts to their own players, but considering that it seems players don't want long term contracts anyways (they want the 1+1 deals), I've been wondering if allowing teams to give their own free agents more $$$ per year would be a feasible way to allow teams to keep their own talent, instead of having all the talent concentrate in fewer but larger markets. Allow teams to offer their own players higher max dollar amounts than what they could get if they were to leave.

I don't know if that could be a good idea or not, but it's a thought I had to counteract this whole superteam craze.

They sort of can, but only from the second year on, as they have a larger % raise capability. The problem is that the "super-team" mentality also frequently comes with more marketing opportunities for those stars; and that is where they actually make up the difference. I don't think you can increase the base year for the current team sufficiently to offset the chance to chase a 'ship, and the additional marketing revenue opportunities. You might be able to offset one, but not both without crippling the existing teams cap/financial situation. Also, any change that restricts player movement has to be approved with the NBPA contract; which probably isn't going to happen. 

On 02/07/2018 at 1:47 AM, TrueBlueDrew said:

How in the world will the NBA ever get even again? We'll need a crop of young players who steer away from this leave wherever they want and start staying loyal. We might need some young talent to be willing to go away from the Major Markets and be willing to say, I'm going to build something on my own (example: Antetokounmpo in MIL). 

It's just depressing how different the talent gap is. 

1990s was dominated by the east: 7-3

1980s was a tie: 5-5

1970s was a tie: 5-5

Now granted since 2000 the west have won 13 to the east's 6 titles, but prior to then the east had 17 titles to the west' s 13. So swings happen in the NBA much like they do in the NHL, NFL (etc) when one conference dominates then things change. All it takes is for Boston and Philly to become legitimate title contenders for the next decade, or the Knicks prying away a max level free agent to put alongside KP, Knox, Ntilikina (etc), or ourselves attracting a max level player to put alongside our young front court trio. There's no reason why a few eastern teams can't develop into title contenders and win titles in the near future if the ascending young teams put it all together.

On 7/1/2018 at 7:45 PM, TrueBlueDrew said:

With Lebron going to the Lakers, lets look at the major players in the East now that he is gone. 

East

1. K. Irving (BOS)
  2. G. Antetokounmpo (MIL)
  3. B. Simmons (PHI)
  4. J. Wall (WAS)
  5. J. Emiid (PHI)
  6. K. Porzingis (NYK)
  7. D. Derozan (TOR)
  8. G. Hayward (BOS)
  9. V. Oladipo (IND)
  10. B. Griffin (DET)

Other honorable mentions: K. Lowry (TOR), K. Love (CLE), D. Wade (MIA), B. Beal (WAS)

Best Players on teams not mentioned: K. Walker (CHA), D. Russell (NYN), L. Markkenen (CHI), A. Gordon (ORL), J. Collins (ATL)

West

1. L. James (LAL)
  2. K. Durant (GSW)
  3. J. Harden (HOU)
  4. S. Curry (GSW)
  5. A. Davis (NOP)
  6. K. Leonard (SAS)
  7. R. Westbrook (OKC)
  8. P. George (OKC)
  9. D. Cousins (NOP)
  10. K. Thompson (GSW)

Other honorable mentions: D. Green (GSW), D. Lillard (POR), C. McCollum (POR), D. Mitchell (UTH), L. Aldridge (SAS), K. Towns (MIN), A. Wiggins (MIN)

Best Players on Teams not mentioned: N. Jokic (DEN), T. Harris (LAC), D. Fox (SAC), D. Smith Jr. (DAL), M. Gasol (MEM), D. Booker (PHX)

Just your casual update 18 months later:

East:

1. Added Durant, Tobias Harris, and Jimmy Butler...
  2. Still have Irving,  Giannis, Simmons, Embiid, Dipo, Kemba, Lavine, Gordon, Siakem, Tatum, 
  3. Still there but not the same: Wall, Griffin, and Hayward
  4. New Stars: Young

West:

1. added Derozan and Porzingis...
  2. Still have James, Harden, Curry, Davis, Leonard, George, Westbrook, Lillard, McCollum, Mitchell, Towns, Russell, Thompson, Jokic, Fox, Booker
  3. New Stars: Morant, Williamson, Luka, Ingram?, SGA?

Still so much promise in the West, its frustrating.