Fultz4thewin

Draft day thread

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah. He dominated the combine too. 

The way long 3-d wings have been valued I never thought he'd be there at 35. 

Tankathon had him at 28 so I thought he was out of our range. Nice scouting work by management to snag him.

1 minute ago, ~O~ said:

So..his projection is 3 and D?  

At 35 it's kind of irresponsible to project more. 

But yeah. That's the expectation. 

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah. He dominated the combine too. 

The way long 3-d wings have been valued I never thought he'd be there at 35. 

Yea I read he killed the combine. With the emphasis on 3-d guys it makes no sense he fell to 35 other than him being a junior. He is a freak. Him and Bamba might break backboards in Vegas. 

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

At 35 it's kind of irresponsible to project more. 

But yeah. That's the expectation. 

My friend that goes to UC has seen him play in person mutitple times. He said he can actually dribble and drive too. Said he played with the ball in his hands a lot. 

So, with Bamba, how is his perimeter D? My worry with him is he looks fast running the floor but not quick side-to-side. I could be wrong. Will he have to come out if teams small-ball us at the end of games?

• Hyperactive defender with lightning-quick hands and elite instincts; regularly rips balls from ball handlers and jumps passing lanes.
  • Engaged, focused defender who knows when to help and displays an advanced understanding of positioning.
  • Explosive athlete who can leap over and dunk through length, a lob threat on cuts, and an ambidextrous finisher.
  • Improved spot-up shooter with good potential if he makes a few mechanical tweaks.
  • Untapped scoring potential if he refines his skills and fundamentals, especially his footwork.
  • Flashes great passing upside, though he must improve his vision and feel.
MINUSES
  • Inconsistent shooter who brings the ball to his set point too early and releases it on the way down, both of which ruin momentum.
  • Limited ball handler; has a high dribble and doesn’t change directions smoothly.
  • Currently a nonfactor shooting off the dribble due to handle and shot form.
  • Attempts too many wild layups and passes; needs to learn how to value every possession.

2 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

So, with Bamba, how is his perimeter D? My worry with him is he looks fast running the floor but not quick side-to-side. I could be wrong. Will he have to come out if teams small-ball us at the end of games?

It's kind of a hotly debated topic among scouts

His lateral movement is only alright. He's working on improving that. Some draft guys don't think he can do that. Others think he's long enough that he has extra recovery time that other guys don't have so it doesn't matter. 

The optimist says a lot of his perimeter problems come more from footwork like inefficient steps vs foot speed so it's improvable. 

But I had him as a Target for us months ago because I think he won't have issues switching on the perimeter. There's a reason Boston was trying to trade up for him

Starting to like this Bamba kid more. Like Gordon back in the day, I didn't like my first glance at him, so I didn't research as much as I should have. I thought we were looking at a Clint Capela type, or maybe a better shot-blocking WCS without the lateral footwork. Not a bad pick at 6, but I didn't understand the hype. Watching some videos, he seems to have really good touch around the basket. If he develops some post moves... hmm.

24 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

Okay, so... We got Bamba. I haven't been as high on him as everyone else. I need to do some more research, now. How much of an offense can this guy have? And don't tell me he's shooting 3s in the gym; so was WCS. I guess I'm just hoping this guy isn't another Thon Maker or Lucas Nogueira. He wasn't unproductive offensively as a rookie. I need to do more research, really. We'll see how excited I am after spending some more time on that.

His offense is finishing at the rim...that's it. No face up game, only basic post moves, can't put the ball on the floor, and his shot (while probably not broken) is unproven. He's just efficient, as in DeAndre Jordan efficient. 

1 minute ago, Justin Jaudon said:

Starting to like this Bamba kid more. Like Gordon back in the day, I didn't like my first glance at him, so I didn't research as much as I should have. I thought we were looking at a Clint Capela type, or maybe a better shot-blocking WCS without the lateral footwork. Not a bad pick at 6, but I didn't understand the hype. Watching some videos, he seems to have really good touch around the basket. If he develops some post moves... hmm.

Yeah. I think he gets pegged as a Shaun Bradley type based on the size discussion but he's a really finesse skilled player. 

He's got issues dealing with strength. Like Ayton ate him alive last summer. And he needs to be meaner. But from a team construction standpoint you're hoping our defense really stumps other teams as they can't figure out how to deal with our length and from a career projection standpoint he can be a dpoy type player.