Fultz4thewin

Draft day thread

20 minutes ago, ML6 said:

This CBS entry is one of the worst takes I've seen:

The Magic had one of the worst offenses in the NBA last season, but still made no effort to try and land a versatile offensive weapon like Trae Young, who was off the board by the time they picked. Instead, they scooped up lanky big man Mohamed Bamba, whose 3-point shot at Texas was as trusty as Orlando's recent draft history, and then selected Tulane swingman Melvin Frazier at 35. I think the Frazier pick could work out, but I don't like Bamba's fit in Orlando. The best pick was Justin Jackson at 43 -- that's all that needs to be said.  Grade: C-

They're not entirely wrong. Not entirely right either. We need a C like Mamba. We do need an offensive force though.

I'm hoping we make a big trade before the season starts to cover that area. 

I like nothing that FA has to offer.

14 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

They're not entirely wrong. Not entirely right either. We need a C like Mamba. We do need an offensive force though.

I'm hoping we make a big trade before the season starts to cover that area. 

I like nothing that FA has to offer.

It's kind of weird that they think Jackson was the best pick when it's probably the worst pick. 

27 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It's kind of weird that they think Jackson was the best pick when it's probably the worst pick. 

I don't know much about him. Is he more offensively inclined?

4 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

I don't know much about him. Is he more offensively inclined?

Nope. Career averages of just under 10 ppg. Not crazy athletic. Here's his preseason scouting report before he regressed a bit this season:

STRENGTHS

• Outstanding frame (220 pounds) and length combination with a 7-foot-3 wingspan for an NBA combo-forward.
  • Compact, repeatable, and quick one-motion release off the catch from college 3 that looks projectable to NBA range. Flashes the ability to shoot quickly setting his feet off motion, as well as off the dribble.
  • Underrated ball-handler especially in space. Can grab-and-go, as well as break down less mobile bigs, especially with a quick and tight right-to-left crossover.
  • Technically sound defender who plays under control and maximizes length by consistently contesting shots with arms up without fouling.
  • Not a high-level anticipation defender in the passing lanes but creates deflections playing with active hands.
  • Has the strength to hold position on the post, and shows the willingness to box out in order to use his length to secure rebounds.
  • Not an overly explosive lateral mover containing dribble penetration but has the frame to absorb contact without getting knocked off his spots and the length to play an extra step off perimeter players to help his contain defense.
  • Solid team defender who makes rotations and has enough speed to recover guarding pick-and-roll.

WEAKNESSES

• A touch undersized for a modern NBA four and lacks the consistent athleticism and lateral agility to guard quicker wings.
  • For the most part a below the rim vertical athlete, which impacts his finishing upside lacking explosiveness as a slasher. Needs to develop a left hand threat.
  • Flashes vision on the move as a drive-and-kick/drop-off passer but lacks consistent decision-making and execution of a plus playmaker for others missing easy reads too often.
  • More of a technician defensively guarding on ball than an overly physical player.
  • Lacks the vertical pop and dynamic speed to be a plus weak side rim protector.
  • Can be a switch defender especially off-ball, but doesn’t have the feet to switch consistently onto dynamic NBA athletes.

BOTTOM LINE

The “other” Jackson for most of the 2017 season, the less publicized Canadian might actually turn out to be the better NBA prospect. With Melo Trimble moving on, Jackson’s creation usage should increase, which will provide a better sample of how adept his perimeter skills are. His shot looks real, as does his above average defense, so if he can refine his handle and passing acumen, he’s a solid sleeper bet in this class.

29 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Nope. Career averages of just under 10 ppg. Not crazy athletic. Here's his preseason scouting report before he regressed a bit this season:

STRENGTHS

• Outstanding frame (220 pounds) and length combination with a 7-foot-3 wingspan for an NBA combo-forward.
  • Compact, repeatable, and quick one-motion release off the catch from college 3 that looks projectable to NBA range. Flashes the ability to shoot quickly setting his feet off motion, as well as off the dribble.
  • Underrated ball-handler especially in space. Can grab-and-go, as well as break down less mobile bigs, especially with a quick and tight right-to-left crossover.
  • Technically sound defender who plays under control and maximizes length by consistently contesting shots with arms up without fouling.
  • Not a high-level anticipation defender in the passing lanes but creates deflections playing with active hands.
  • Has the strength to hold position on the post, and shows the willingness to box out in order to use his length to secure rebounds.
  • Not an overly explosive lateral mover containing dribble penetration but has the frame to absorb contact without getting knocked off his spots and the length to play an extra step off perimeter players to help his contain defense.
  • Solid team defender who makes rotations and has enough speed to recover guarding pick-and-roll.

WEAKNESSES

• A touch undersized for a modern NBA four and lacks the consistent athleticism and lateral agility to guard quicker wings.
  • For the most part a below the rim vertical athlete, which impacts his finishing upside lacking explosiveness as a slasher. Needs to develop a left hand threat.
  • Flashes vision on the move as a drive-and-kick/drop-off passer but lacks consistent decision-making and execution of a plus playmaker for others missing easy reads too often.
  • More of a technician defensively guarding on ball than an overly physical player.
  • Lacks the vertical pop and dynamic speed to be a plus weak side rim protector.
  • Can be a switch defender especially off-ball, but doesn’t have the feet to switch consistently onto dynamic NBA athletes.

BOTTOM LINE

The “other” Jackson for most of the 2017 season, the less publicized Canadian might actually turn out to be the better NBA prospect. With Melo Trimble moving on, Jackson’s creation usage should increase, which will provide a better sample of how adept his perimeter skills are. His shot looks real, as does his above average defense, so if he can refine his handle and passing acumen, he’s a solid sleeper bet in this class.

Maybe they feel like he has more potential to develop offensively than Frazier? 

10 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Maybe they feel like he has more potential to develop offensively than Frazier? 

Yeah I don't know. Frazier has a quality talent as a cutter. I don't know what Jackson is. He's probably a Lakeland guy for a couple years

That CBS grade could be the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. They’re knocking us because we didn’t draft a player that was drafted before we picked? Crazy someone gets paid pretty good money to write that. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah I don't know. Frazier has a quality talent as a cutter. I don't know what Jackson is. He's probably a Lakeland guy for a couple years

I think Frazier will become a fan favorite. Not because he’ll be the best player but because of the way he plays. 

I have hopes Jackson can work out. He's got a lot of talent but didn't show it last season with his injury that required surgery. I think Frazier is the safer bet to be a high calibre role player with potential to be a legitimate 3 and D guy but Jackson has the potential to be a bench scorer who plays solid team defense which is still valuable.

25 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

That CBS grade could be the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. They’re knocking us because we didn’t draft a player that was drafted before we picked? Crazy someone gets paid pretty good money to write that. 

I've see worse but yeah, it isn't completely accurate. They probably see such a gapping hole that they feel you do whatever it takes to fill it. They don't know all the details so it's whatever.