Fultz4thewin

Draft day thread

13 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

You mean his 33.7% 3pt percentage last year?

Honestly I think we badly overrate Mario.  He was so bad during his first two years with us that if he even looks semi-competent, we think he’s great.  I’m not sure how much interest he’ll have from anyone, including us. 

He's a former early pick who averaged 13 ppg over the last 34 games. Look at what Ben McLemore got

23 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He's a former early pick who averaged 13 ppg over the last 34 games. Look at what Ben McLemore got

He also has shown some flashes of outstanding defense here and there. He is definitely worth looking at for another year if we can keep him.

13 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

He also has shown some flashes of outstanding defense here and there. He is definitely worth looking at for another year if we can keep him.

Exactly, we have time to be patient, as AG,JI and Mo develop. Mario still has room to grow.

The way I see it is Weltman is trying to bake a cake, and we keep barging into the kitchen taking one look at the batter and complaining that it's missing an egg or not enough sugar.  It's been a day or so after the draft and we came away with quite possibly one of the best players.  Do we need a PG?  Sure!  Do we need scoring?  YES!  Bottom line is that drafting Bamba only made our team better.  We addressed one or our many deficiencies.  We still have some assets we can move, players to re-sign, free agency, and our core is young.  We gotta give this cake time to bake fellas!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, 0rland0fan said:

The way I see it is Weltman is trying to bake a cake, and we keep barging into the kitchen taking one look at the batter and complaining that it's missing an egg or not enough sugar.  It's been a day or so after the draft and we came away with quite possibly one of the best players.  Do we need a PG?  Sure!  Do we need scoring?  YES!  Bottom line is that drafting Bamba only made our team better.  We addressed one or our many deficiencies.  We still have some assets we can move, players to re-sign, free agency, and our core is young.  We gotta give this cake time to bake fellas!! 

Not trying to be unfair to Weltman, but it’s been baking for over six years.  At some point, requests for an unlimited amount of time for this cake to bake get stale.  

Magic fans can be forgiven for not wanting to watch another farce next season.  

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Some of those points were during garbage time.  But within the next 4-6 weeks I imagine we’ll find out the answer to this.  

20 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Not trying to be unfair to Weltman, but it’s been baking for over six years.  At some point, requests for an unlimited amount of time for this cake to bake get stale.  

I understand, but as far as Weltman is concerned, he just started putting this squad together.  There are teams that wait much longer than 6 year to be relevant.  In our nearly 30 years in the league, we have been to the finals twice.  I get frustrated also, but maybe I'm being a bit more patient than most.  

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

You mean his 33.7% 3pt percentage last year?

Honestly I think we badly overrate Mario.  He was so bad during his first two years with us that if he even looks semi-competent, we think he’s great.  I’m not sure how much interest he’ll have from anyone, including us. 

I don’t think the majority of people on here think he’s some great player or going to be some great player. I think, at least for me, it’s more “well he showed something last year, not much, but something. I don’t want him developing into a solid role player on a different team all because of a player option.” 

47 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Some of those points were during garbage time.  But within the next 4-6 weeks I imagine we’ll find out the answer to this.  

To be fair any magic player that’s played for us the past 5 years has played nothing but garbage minutes. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

To be fair any magic player that’s played for us the past 5 years has played nothing but garbage minutes. 

LOL

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I don't think we should include what came before Weltman in the discussion.

Weltman's situation is not like the new guy's situation in Detroit, they have Blake Griffin, Reggie Jackson, Andre Drummond (etc) on their roster. That's not a tear down and rebuild roster. Their new front office will tweak that roster and get Casey to maximise their talent like he did in Toronto. Weltman inherited a roster that was not good enough and trending in the wrong direction. Year one was a tank, and year two could go either way depending on whether they decide to tweak and compete, or trade away veterans and tank for another top pick. Essentially we need to draw a line under the Henny era and now start the clock again since we are in the Weltman era.

It's not great for us fans because we could still be a few years or more away from being where we want our team to be and that's working on the basis that Weltman does a good job. But it's now a new clock with Weltman and patience is key.

1 hour ago, Mike1989 said:

I don't think we should include what came before Weltman in the discussion.

Weltman's situation is not like the new guy's situation in Detroit, they have Blake Griffin, Reggie Jackson, Andre Drummond (etc) on their roster. That's not a tear down and rebuild roster. Their new front office will tweak that roster and get Casey to maximise their talent like he did in Toronto. Weltman inherited a roster that was not good enough and trending in the wrong direction. Year one was a tank, and year two could go either way depending on whether they decide to tweak and compete, or trade away veterans and tank for another top pick. Essentially we need to draw a line under the Henny era and now start the clock again since we are in the Weltman era.

It's not great for us fans because we could still be a few years or more away from being where we want our team to be and that's working on the basis that Weltman does a good job. But it's now a new clock with Weltman and patience is key.

That may work for the few of us in this forum but it won't work for the Magic fan base and Orlando media as a whole.  It really doesn't matter what we think is fair.  In pro sports, long droughts where the team doesn't win is unacceptable.