magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I think a trade would have to look like Bayless and fultz for vucevic and picks. But that only clears 4 million in salary for them. 

yes, but 12 million is off their books for next year

49 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Cba change

The Raptors can match any offer sheet given to VanVleet. Those offer sheets are limited because of VanVleet’s Early Bird Free Agent status (less than three years with the team) and Restricted Free Agency (the combination of which is referred to as the Gilbert Arenasprovision). As such, any deal offered to VanVleet above the Mid-Level Exception (projected to start at $8.6 million) is limited to the value of the MLE in the first two seasons. The offer can rise dramatically after that to the value it would have been if not for that restriction.

So, in VanVleet’s case, in theory he could be offered his maximum salary — which is 25 percent of the cap, just over $25 million as a starting salary, rising to $26.5 million, $27.8 million, and $29.0 million after that. But due to his Gibert Arenas status, the first two years are forced to be $8.6 million and $9.0 million instead. So his maximum deal would progress as follows:

2018-19: $8.6 million

2019-20: $9.0 million

2020-21: $27.8 million

2021-22: $29.0 million

That’s a fairly crazy offer, but it demonstrates the mechanism of any deal greater than the full MLE. In this extreme case, a team would need $18.6 million (the average value of the deal) in cap room to offer that deal to VanVleet. If the available cap space is lower, the final two years just drop in value.

Note that the Raptors do not need to use their full MLE to match the offer — their Early Bird Rights allow them to match the offer without using another exception. This is important, as the Raptors are already very close to the tax apron and if they use their full MLE they would activate a hard cap. This would not allow them to keep VanVleet unless they shed significant salary elsewhere, as they are already projected to be $4.0 million above the hard cap line of $129.1 million.

https://www.raptorshq.com/2018/5/11/17339610/nba-toronto-raptors-salary-cap-sheet-review

9 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

The matching team can only choose to have the average salary count toward its team salary if at the time it matches the offer sheet its team salary (with the average salary of the matched contract) is less than the salary cap. If a player signed pursuant to the Gilbert Arenas provision is later traded, his trade value is equivalent to his cap amount, and new team inherits the same cap hit as the team that traded him. In other words, if the player goes to the team submitting the offer sheet and that team later trades him, the average salary of the contract is charged to his new team's cap. If instead the player's original team matches the offer sheet, keeps the player, and subsequently trades him, the cap hit the team chose when matching the offer sheet is charged to his new team's cap.

11 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

If Washington gets Dwight I don't think they make the playoffs

I'd wager a month's salary on that. If he could stay healthy he'd be a very good fit for them on the court.

Just now, DirtDan2012 said:

I'd wager a month's salary on that. If he could stay healthy he'd be a very good fit for them on the court.

Didn't you learn from last time? Lol. 

They're an extremely fragile team and due for a meltdown. 

Would you give up a draft pick for Ball? 3 way deal with Lakers and Spurs. Since SA isn't interested in Ball, direct him here and we give them Simmons + pick for Ball?

7 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

There's a case for Shabazz but it depends on money and years. He might be someone we say "ok there's not a ton of money out there and we need an upside play so let's give you the full mle for one year and you can showcase for next summer. 

We want decent play at a low cost. We should have just kept Mack.

8 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

Would you give up a draft pick for Ball? 3 way deal with Lakers and Spurs. Since SA isn't interested in Ball, direct him here and we give them Simmons + pick for Ball?

I... Don't really know how I feel about this. Need to think about it.

Ball I would take in that deal. But his dad is an actual issue. I would pass because of that. We don’t need that story dominating our headlines. 

Edit: But damn. Ball/Ag/Issac/Bamba is an incredible core. 

5 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Ball I would take in that deal. But his dad is an actual issue. I would pass because of that. We don’t need that story dominating our headlines. 

Edit: But damn. Ball/Ag/Issac/Bamba is an incredible core. 

And he fits. 

But he can't shoot but maybe you gamble on that