magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

Supposedly the Kings are interested in Mario. I think that would be a terrible spot for him.

34 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I don't understand the obsession with making everyone a small ball 5 when small ball five hardly ever happens. I mean is PJ Tucker really a small ball five if he only played 6mpg there in the playoffs?

Also I think "Gordon at 3" would have worked better if Gordon actually shot the ball like he did last year, ibaka would have attacked closeouts like Isaac can, and vucevic didn't occupy the same space. 

Gordon at "3" can't work playing a slow center and a slow traditional 4/5 at the same time. But Gordon at "3" can work with Isaac also in the same mold where he might be a 3 or might be a 4 depending on what they want to do that play. 

Just now, ?4thewin said:

I don't understand the obsession with making everyone a small ball 5 when small ball five hardly ever happens. I mean is PJ Tucker really a small ball five if he only played 6mpg there in the playoffs?

What don't you get? It's all the rage, go smaller and smaller. I am waiting for us to make Augustin a small ball five. Can't get much smaller than that! Check mate, *****es.

Anyway, aren't small ball line ups kind of a misnomer? I think what teams are generally speaking really doing is trying to get their most talented, most skilled, and often quickest players out there at the same time. It just happens that this sometimes results in moving an otherwise non-traditional center to the center position.

I agree that in certain line ups, Gordon could make an interesting 5 for short periods of time, but I think the Magic have an even better option for that sort of thing in Isaac.

10 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Frigging GS. Ever since Draymond did it, it seems like people believe everyone should be doing it.

AG is a lean fast twitch athlete ala Marion. Draymond is a wide based ala Jason Maxiell but with more skill. Sure at times you can put AG there but he's best at the 4 spot. That's been proven.

3 minutes ago, Odin said:

What don't you get? It's all the rage, go smaller and smaller. I am waiting for us to make Augustin a small ball five. Can't get much smaller than that! Check mate, *****es.

Anyway, aren't small ball line ups kind of a misnomer? I think what teams are generally speaking really doing is trying to get their most talented, most skilled, and often quickest players out there at the same time. It just happens that this sometimes results in moving an otherwise non-traditional center to the center position.

I agree that in certain line ups, Gordon could make an interesting 5 for short periods of time, but I think the Magic have an even better option for that sort of thing in Isaac.

Yeah I mean I like playing weird lineups to exploit mismatches. But in stories like this basketball writers are always pushing small ball five as if it's a permanent position instead of a lineup wrinkle. 

Just now, Magicman28 said:

Frigging GS. Ever since Draymond did it, it seems like people believe everyone should be doing it.

AG is a lean fast twitch athlete ala Marion. Draymond is a wide based ala Jason Maxiell but with more skill. Sure at times you can put AG there but he's best at the 4 spot. That's been proven.

But even Draymond isn't a small ball 5. The most he's ever spent playing the 5 was a couple years ago when he played 12 out of 38 mpg in the playoffs. It's a wrinkle, not a majority option. 

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

But even Draymond isn't a small ball 5. The most he's ever spent playing the 5 was a couple years ago when he played 12 out of 38 mpg in the playoffs. It's a wrinkle, not a majority option. 

Yeah that's my point. He played it in spurts and it worked in those spurts  and now it's like "Everyone! small ball 5! Go!".

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah I mean I like playing weird lineups to exploit mismatches. But in stories like this basketball writers are always pushing small ball five as if it's a permanent position instead of a lineup wrinkle. 

Writers are too obsessed with the position that a player plays. Most players play up and down the positional chart, depending upon the current line-up and match up.

Probably a better way to look at players is to look at what types of roles they can play in a line up.

CC credits one of our assistants with improving Kemba's 3 ball. I don't see why the same couldn't happen with another project like Exum. 

I get the concern that he may not be the playmaker we need, but I wouldn't worry about a player's shooting. I'll trust the coach's trust in his staff to develop guys and their shooting.

Same with Schoeder (makes him more appealing), and maybe even Smart.

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

If Washington gets Dwight I don't think they make the playoffs

I keep joking with my DC friends that the wiz will sign Dwight and he will Thanos their whole team. Wall and Beal will demand a trade and all they will be left with is an overpaid Otto Porter. I can see it now...